3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

T2P_Priceless

What do we think of this? Usually stuff like this comes from the coach during pre interview notes. Never heard Maurer mentioned once or shown on a graphic. And between analysts they predicted Hooker or Milton would be the start based on mobility setting them apart from Bailey. 4980171F-E391-4E6D-99E1-CB7E0DA46B60.jpeg

What do we think of this? Usually stuff like this comes from the coach during pre interview notes. Never heard Maurer mentioned once or shown on a graphic. And between analysts they predicted Hooker or Milton would be the start based on mobility setting them apart from Bailey. View attachment 381757

Very interesting! I've been saying it's Milton or Hooker over in the thread called "Josh Heupel SEC Media Days." However, I thought maybe BM was ahead of HB at the third spot. Sounds like these analysts think otherwise. I am genuinely interested to hear what 1vol8 has to say about the graphic above. That Vol brother often has inside information about Mauer and now would be the time to give us another perspective because BM seems to be in the shadows at the moment.

Let me explain something that would be very very good info to keep in mind.

The SEC Network and it’s analysts, and ESPN as a whole, know less about Tennessee’s roster than most of your average posters on this board. They follow the “hot” teams (right now that’s UGA, Bama, Texas AM), and only know who the key players are on all other rosters.

Without even digging in, I can tell you for sure they are basing their “3 QB’s” statement on the fact that Bailey was our most recent starting QB and we went and found 2 transfers. They are operating under the assumption those are the only 3 QB’s we have because those are the only ones that were mentioned in the quick “UT Summary” they read up on before Media Days got started.

The SEC Network and it’s analysts, and ESPN as a whole, know less about Tennessee’s roster than most of your average posters on this board. They follow the “hot” teams (right now that’s UGA, Bama, Texas AM), and only know who the key players are on all other rosters.

Without even digging in, I can tell you for sure they are basing their “3 QB’s” statement on the fact that Bailey was our most recent starting QB and we went and found 2 transfers. They are operating under the assumption those are the only 3 QB’s we have because those are the only ones that were mentioned in the quick “UT Summary” they read up on before Media Days got started.
Yes this.

I agree but I never heard Heupel or anyone else mention Maurer one time. Maybe he didn’t think to interject him into the conversation or on purpose but it’s an interesting observation.
Also, many times the things they note come from the coaches before the interview or game.

Perhaps.
And maybe Heupel is good with letting them believe that.
OR. It's legit.

3 QBs….highly rated 5* that beat out Maurer last year to finish the season in Harrison Bailey. Purest passer of all of them. Can make any throw needed dropping dimes with the greatest touch on the ball. Has prototypical NFL QB size for a pocket passer. Greatest chance to be the best pocket of adding QB at Tennessee since Casey Clausen in this style of offense.

Hendon Hooker…a guy that won games showing huge upside in the ACC at a big school in Virginia Tech…quick nimble feet that can power run also with a strong arm…he can see a whole in the defense then BANG be 15 yards up the field before a hand touches him. Fuente screwed up yanking him on/off the bench. In his element he’s exciting to watch…like Dobbs you once he gets rolling with his feet & arm.

Joe Milton…highly touted QB recruit/starter from Michigan with a cannon arm. He’s physically gifted like Cam Newton w/size, power, and speed. Former starter that lost his job in the Big 12.

Maurer who has gotten the nod a few times. He has very quick on his feet & a strong arm. He is charismatic but makes big mistakes/gets hurt. Bailey out played him as a true freshman to finish the year. This is why the guy that’s been here the longest is being talked about the least. He could never out perform JG to be the consistent starter. Think about that fact for a minute. Now you have the answer.

I agree but I never heard Heupel or anyone else mention Maurer one time. Maybe he didn’t think to interject him into the conversation or on purpose but it’s an interesting observation.
Also, many times the things they note come from the coaches before the interview or game.
Huepel recruited Maurer at UCF. He's obvs familiar with Maurer and Milton.

3 QBs….highly rated 5* that beat out Maurer last year to finish the season in Harrison Bailey. Purest passer of all of them. Can make any throw needed dropping dimes with the greatest touch on the ball. Has prototypical NFL QB size for a pocket passer. Greatest chance to be the best pocket of adding QB at Tennessee since Casey Clausen in this style of offense.

Hendon Hooker…a guy that won games showing huge upside in the ACC at a big school in Virginia Tech…quick nimble feet that can power run also with a strong arm…he can see a whole in the defense then BANG be 15 yards up the field before a hand touches him. Fuente screwed up yanking him on/off the bench. In his element he’s exciting to watch…like Dobbs you once he gets rolling with his feet & arm.

Joe Milton…highly touted QB recruit/starter from Michigan with a cannon arm. He’s physically gifted like Cam Newton w/size, power, and speed. Former starter that lost his job in the Big 12.

Maurer who has gotten the nod a few times. He has very quick on his feet & a strong arm. He is charismatic but makes big mistakes/gets hurt. Bailey out played him as a true freshman to finish the year. This is why the guy that’s been here the longest is being talked about the least. He could never out perform JG to be the consistent starter. Think about that fact for a minute. Now you have the answer.
I think there was more to the story as to why they wouldn't pull JG. In the end, it was the crushing pressure from everyone as to how bad he was and Pruitt getting fired was where the leverage was lost. There is no way in hell any competent Coach puts that dude back in after the horrible pick sixes in the Kentucky game. Just my opinion.

I like Maurer but the recklessness is an issue. He makes poor decisions and puts his body in danger too often. Bailey is solid, but lacked "zip" in the games I saw. Seemed like the ball took forever to get to the receiver. I am not surprised that Hooker and Milton are contenders. The other two left the door open for them.

I wouldn't take too much value in what ESPN says or doesn't say. They have become more interested in ratings and politics than sports as of late. I don't watch their "shows," just sporting events they broadcast, and often muted. I used to hate the CBS guys the most, but Herbstreit is making his way on my mute list. The guy never shuts up.

Fortunately, threads, reporters, fans, and radio talk show hosts are not in charge of choosing the first string quarterback or any other position. I believe Coach Heupel and staff are capable of making these decisions. Go Volunteers!!!!!!!

Maurer has had a long time now to be "the man" in Knoxville during a period when Tennessee had some putrid QBs on its roster. He didn't get it done. Now you have a new regime and new QBs brought in over the top of him. His window of opportunity is closed barring some catastrophic injuries.

I dont think he will ever throw a pass at UT again.

Maurer has had a long time now to be "the man" in Knoxville during a period when Tennessee had some putrid QBs on its roster. He didn't get it done. Now you have a new regime and new QBs brought in over the top of him. His window of opportunity is closed barring some catastrophic injuries.

I dont think he will ever throw a pass at UT again.
We had lousy, lousy QB coaching. I think Weinke and Pruitt did incredible damage to these guys. My hope is a that Hueple can fix their problems and salvage the careers of Mauer and Bailey. No way is every QB on that roster a bust. That being said, I think Milton is going to make a strong push for the backup before getting the starting job.

VN Store

Back