(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Came across this graphic, TIFWIW

View attachment 381532

It’s misleading, though. A lot of those guys would have gone much higher out of high school if they hadn’t either let teams know they were going to school or that it would take a ridiculous number to sign them. Rocker, for example. Burns is an example this year. They basically told teams not to bother.

He’s also considering Arkansas and LSU, but the general feeling is that UT leads and our biggest concern may be him deciding to turn pro and sign as a FA.

Noteworthy: Both Arkansas and LSU already have a transfer catcher committed: Michael Turner from Kent State is headed to Arkansas. Tyler McManus from Samford is headed to LSU.

Turner and McManus are ranked among Baseball America's top college transfers in this 2021 cycle (McManus at #6, Turner at #14).

In the last few days, LSU had a well regarded high school catcher, Blaise Priester, change his commitment from Meridian CC (MS) to its program.

According to Matt Moscona, with the addition of McManus and Priester, LSU will have 5 catchers on its roster.

Last edited:
Noteworthy: Both Arkansas and LSU already have a transfer catcher committed: Michael Turner from Kent State is headed to Arkansas. Tyler McManus from Samford is headed to LSU.

Turner and McManus are ranked among Baseball America's top college transfers in this 2021 cycle (McManus at #6, Turner at #14).

In the last few days, LSU had a well regarded high school catcher, Blaise Priester, change his commitment from Meridian CC (MS) to its program.

According to Matt Moscona, with the addition of McManus and Priester, LSU will have 5 catchers on its roster.
This bodies very well for us it seems, then!

Gal bringing the hard-hitting, top-notch info as always. Thanks!

Kessler update from Ben. He's most likely going pro.

Last edited:
It’s misleading, though. A lot of those guys would have gone much higher out of high school if they hadn’t either let teams know they were going to school or that it would take a ridiculous number to sign them. Rocker, for example. Burns is an example this year. They basically told teams not to bother.

Notice the tight grouping of the previously drafted position: all between 1100 and 1200 with only two close outliers. Is this a case of cherry-picking data or a case of draftees in this round/position are actually more likely to turn the team down?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I wouldn't say that House is turning pro just yet. A few first rounders have signed NIL-college deals with VaynerSports (I follow their Twitter). One kid with Florida, and another with Vandy.

I highly doubt anyone can sign a deal worth $4-6 million or more in college baseball which is what House is likely going to get. He’s gone.

Guess it’s a good thing Charlie Taylor is killing it in summer ball. He’s now your catcher. I guess Kessler took a step back from his decision.

We also have 2 freshman catchers in this year’s class. One or more may emerge from fall practice. We’ll see how they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
Guess it’s a good thing Charlie Taylor is killing it in summer ball. He’s now your catcher. I guess Kessler took a step back from his decision.

Any word on what kind of defensive catcher he is? What’s his arm like?

Is anyone else not completely sold on Connell? I feel like he really got exposed once SEC play started. He doesn’t have elite stuff, doesn’t have a swing and miss pitch and gave up a ton of home runs. Once teams got a scouting report on him, he had trouble getting people out. His role was severely diminished as the season progressed so the coaching staff must have seen something as well.

Just so you know, not trying to make you feel bad here, but that’s a bit awkward since Kirby’s dad has been known to post in these fora. Not a big deal though. Also, Kirby has incurred a number of devoted fans, both for his play and for his spirit, so may not get much agreement on the take. As with all players there are ups and downs, but I think a lot of us are looking forward to seeing more of the stache out there on the mound next year.

Any word on what kind of defensive catcher he is? What’s his arm like?

I haven’t got to watch him but a couple times this summer and the Riptide have several catchers, but in that league, fwiw, he’s picked off some guys, he’s hit well, the defense part is still a bit unknown, but he plays hard.

I highly doubt anyone can sign a deal worth $4-6 million or more in college baseball which is what House is likely going to get. He’s gone.

All first round picks get slot values in the millions with the top ten all multi-millions. There are some kids who want to try and go #1 after 2-3 years in the SEC while “growing up” in a top-level program instead of signing in the first round out of high school. House could be that kid. Some kids are all about the money, and some aren’t.

The Painter kid at UF and the Lawlar kid at Vandy signed deals with NIL-centered marketing companies. A decent minority won’t sign pros contracts. It happens every year. These new NIL contracts that top-notch college players sign won’t be anything close to the millions, but it’s another incentive for the college route.

The flip side is that there’s a lot of posturing and leveraging anything and everything during contract negotiations.

Is anyone else not completely sold on Connell? I feel like he really got exposed once SEC play started. He doesn’t have elite stuff, doesn’t have a swing and miss pitch and gave up a ton of home runs. Once teams got a scouting report on him, he had trouble getting people out. His role was severely diminished as the season progressed so the coaching staff must have seen something as well.

I think he will make adjustments and be effective. The league adjusts to pitchers unless they are just generational talents, but I am sure he and Coach Anderson will find a way to get him back on track. Best I remember, his problem was missing a few spots. I look forward to seeing what he and Mabrey look like next year.

I look at it like this. We don’t get where we got without him, Hunley, Heflin, etc…

He’ll be fine. Not one of our starters pitched a complete game, it was all hands on deck all year, we alright.

GBO!!!

He pitched 42 innings for an SEC team and had a 3.0 ERA. I’ll take that any day of the week.

VN Store

Back