2022 Recruits

Kellie really needs a recruiting win at this point!!!

What is a recruiting win? When people say this i’m wondering what quantifies a win exactly? Not picking just interested in different perspectives… I know she isn’t top 10 but considering we need outside shooting i would consider Justine a win and a piece to the puzzle. I think I just want more LOL

Would Sa’Myah Smith be a win? Talaysia Cooper?

What is a recruiting win? When people say this i’m wondering what quantifies a win exactly? Not picking just interested in different perspectives… I know she isn’t top 10 but considering we need outside shooting i would consider Justine a win and a piece to the puzzle. I think I just want more LOL

Would Sa’Myah Smith be a win? Talaysia Cooper?
She was recruited by a different staff. If I have to explain a recruiting win to you sir I will pass...

Yes,let's wait and see. We are getting the visits,just not any verbals. Justine committed without a visit. When the girls get here are they seeing something they don't like???? Can't imagine,with our facilities!!

Imagine,,,imagination,,,apt word for you

The 2022 recruiting class is not finished! Have we forgotten the bio’s of this 21 class…. And Justines story ! The kids we got coming are great kids , families, and they are hard working
Athletes. I love these kids and their stories!
We lost ONE recruit that we had offered a scholarship. There are five more ranked from #12—#19 ! Let’s see how we finish? Someone said : “It’s how you finish not how you start !” 🙏

Last edited:
She was recruited by a different staff. If I have to explain a recruiting win to you sir I will pass...

But im fairly certain Kellie was the head coach when she committed and im fairly certain she reconfirmed her commitment to Kellie and TN so being recruited by another staff has no merit because she could have decommitted but didnt… sooo i will see your pass and and raise you a fair well sir or madam ! 👍🏾👌🏾💥

Bashing Harper at this stage is premature or motivated by some other agenda. Dawn Staley signed one top 10 player in her first five seasons at South Carolina. One. And that one jumped ship after a year. It took Staley HALF a decade to get the wheels moving for real when they signed Wilson. Up until that point, South Carolina had not done anything particularly noteworthy. Had they improved? Yes. But Staley didn't just come in and out-recruit the SEC in a year. She had to work to get there. Five years, in fact. And just like Staley, Harper is also in the process of building relationships with players. Considering that Tennessee signed a decent class last year and then made moves for bigger names this time around, it appears they're trending in the right direction.

Now, other side of the coin. Signing A'ja Wilson was the move that propelled South Carolina to the top of the heap. Tennessee needs to keep taking shots at the elite talent even if they miss on most of them. I know a lot of folks handwave the whole star thing, but you don't see many teams take the last step until they bring in the elite players. As I've said elsewhere, almost every #1 recruit won a title before graduating. The elite players really are on a different level. You have to get them if you want to take home the grand prize. That's not negative, nor is it positive. It's just reality.

We were not the logical landing spot for her....She is a forward and a wing player, just like KS and SP are, plus Marta ...

In the 2022, class we already have the ultimate long range wing player in Justine....When she starts popping 3 balls from 25 feet, Barker will be long forgotten...Of course, there is a certain element on this board that will still complain...
So you’re saying those 3 players would’ve factored into her getting playing time? 🤦🏾‍♂️

Bashing Harper at this stage is premature or motivated by some other agenda. Dawn Staley signed one top 10 player in her first five seasons at South Carolina. One. And that one jumped ship after a year. It took Staley HALF a decade to get the wheels moving for real when they signed Wilson. Up until that point, South Carolina had not done anything particularly noteworthy. Had they improved? Yes. But Staley didn't just come in and out-recruit the SEC in a year. She had to work to get there. Five years, in fact. And just like Staley, Harper is also in the process of building relationships with players. Considering that Tennessee signed a decent class last year and then made moves for bigger names this time around, it appears they're trending in the right direction.

Now, other side of the coin. Signing A'ja Wilson was the move that propelled South Carolina to the top of the heap. Tennessee needs to keep taking shots at the elite talent even if they miss on most of them. I know a lot of folks handwave the whole star thing, but you don't see many teams take the last step until they bring in the elite players. As I've said elsewhere, almost every #1 recruit won a title before graduating. The elite players really are on a different level. You have to get them if you want to take home the grand prize. That's not negative, nor is it positive. It's just reality.
Dawn won the SEC regular season title and went to the Sweet 16 the year before Wilson came South Carolina. That's contract extension worthy.

Position rank assigned by ESPN. ESPN considers Justine the #2 wing in the country. KK Bransford is the #1 guard.

We desperately need a great guard in 22. When Rae leaves, we have to have the ability to beat people off the dribble even if we have shooters on the perimeter such as Pissott. And Horsten would only be around one more year at most.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Dawn won the SEC regular season title and went to the Sweet 16 the year before Wilson came South Carolina. That's contract extension worthy.

thank+gif.gif

They were also a 1-seed in the NCAAT that season, and had Tiffany Mitchell, who was the SEC POY that year, and wound up winning it for a second time in Wilson's freshman year.

Dawn won the SEC regular-season title and went to the Sweet 16 the year before Wilson came South Carolina. That's contract extension-worthy.
It took Dawn Staley 4 years to get to the NCAA tournament at South Carolina and yes they made it to the final 4 that year only to go out in the second round in year 5. Did she deserve an extension in year 2 or 3? Probably because it takes a minute to build a program. Kelli Harper has been at Tennessee 2 years, finished 3rd both years well above what was expected 7 place both years and made the NCAA tournament. Would have made it both years, but covid cancelled the first one. I mean look what Nikki McCray did to Mississippi in one year. The same could have happened in Tennessee, but it didn't. We lost 2-3 crucial pieces this past year to injury that could not play mainly Suarez down the stretch and Green from the jump, Jordon Horston never fully recovered and played injured much of the season yet the Lady Vols were right there with everyone and even took down some top 10 teams this year. Not a bad start in the SEC for a newer coach that has not had the luxury of coaching a full season of basketball yet.

It took Dawn Staley 4 years to get to the NCAA tournament at South Carolina and yes they made it to the final 4 that year only to go out in the second round in year 5.

SC definitely didn’t make the FF in the first year they got to the NCAAT under Dawn, which was 2012. They were a 5-seed and made it to the S16, where they lost to top seeded Stanford. They made their first FF in 2015 (Wilson’s freshman year and Dawn’s 7th at SC), which is the year they shared the regular season SEC championship with us and then beat us to win the SECT. The year before that, they were a 1-seed for the first time ever and lost to UNC (with Diamond DeShields) in the S16.

It took Dawn Staley 4 years to get to the NCAA tournament at South Carolina and yes they made it to the final 4 that year only to go out in the second round in year 5. Did she deserve an extension in year 2 or 3? Probably because it takes a minute to build a program. Kelli Harper has been at Tennessee 2 years, finished 3rd both years well above what was expected 7 place both years and made the NCAA tournament. Would have made it both years, but covid cancelled the first one. I mean look what Nikki McCray did to Mississippi in one year. The same could have happened in Tennessee, but it didn't. We lost 2-3 crucial pieces this past year to injury that could not play mainly Suarez down the stretch and Green from the jump, Jordon Horston never fully recovered and played injured much of the season yet the Lady Vols were right there with everyone and even took down some top 10 teams this year. Not a bad start in the SEC for a newer coach that has not had the luxury of coaching a full season of basketball yet.

lNUh0uV.gif

If that were UT, several fans would be having seizures.

Yes, I am sure their fans are doing cartwheels over it.

We will know soon enough if the new staff is an improvement over the old one when it comes to recruiting.

But let's be realistic, in women's basketball there are a small number of players in each class who determine which teams will compete for championships. You have to get one of those or you are playing for runner-up. They are not sufficient to get you there all by themselves, but they are necessary. You aren't winning championships without them. So that is the step everyone needs to see Kellie take. This last class was an improvement. She needs to keep doing better in each cycle, and she needs to win some battles for the most coveted recruits.

Let's see how it plays out now that she has made some moves to do just that. Justine is a good core that gives her the chance for a better class. And Kellie has done a good job spotting talent that has risen in the rankings so there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Let's just get out on the court and show everyone we are the best place to come and play. We do that and the rest will happen.

SC definitely didn’t make the FF in the first year they got to the NCAAT under Dawn, which was 2012. They were a 5-seed and made it to the S16, where they lost to top seeded Stanford. They made their first FF in 2015 (Wilson’s freshman year and Dawn’s 7th at SC), which is the year they shared the regular-season SEC championship with us and then beat us to win the SECT. The year before that, they were a 1-seed for the first time ever and lost to UNC (with Diamond DeShields) in the S16.
Yeah I misspoke. It was a sweet 16 in year 4, 2nd round loss in year 5, and then to the national championship in year 6 I believe. To expect any coach to come into the SEC and win year 1, especially under the conditions that they have faced with covid cancelling 20 tournament and restricting 21 is unreasonable. Now Kim Mulkey has a pretty good team down in the Bayou so i am not necessarily saying a first-year coach cant get it done, but highly unlikely. Those grad seniors they have gave people fits last year and they have added a very good post and guard with that mix. They are solid. The top 4-6 teams in the SEC gonna beat each other up and that includes the Lady Vols.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back