What happened to the Olympic team thread?

Australian and WNBA star Liz Cambage withdraws from Olympics, citing mental health
210716103122-liz-cambage-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has announced that women's basketball player Liz Cambage -- a star player on the WNBA's Las Vegas Aces -- has withdrawn from the Australian Olympic Team and will not compete in Tokyo.

"It's no secret that in the past I've struggled with my mental health and recently I've been really worried about heading into a 'bubble' Olympics," Cambage said in posts on Instagram and Twitter.

"No family. No friends. No fans. No support system outside of my team. It's honestly terrifying for me. The past month I've been having panic attacks, not sleeping and not eating.

"Relying on daily medication to control my anxiety is not the place I want to be right now. Especially walking into competition on the world's biggest sporting stage.

Prior to the announcement of Cambage's withdrawal, an AOC spokesman had told CNN that it was aware of a potential incident involving Cambage and were awaiting a report from Basketball Australia, but the organization provided no further details.

Chef de Mission Ian Chesterman had said in an earlier press conference: "We've been informed by Basketball Australia that they're investigating an issue. We have not received any further reporting except for that."

In May, Cambage threatened to boycott the Tokyo Olympics while speaking out against the lack of racial diversity in promotional photos of the Australian Olympic team.

Australian and WNBA star Liz Cambage withdraws from Olympics, citing mental health - CNN

Oh Racial issues is what we're dealing with here in the states. Good 4 her

This would have been the team I chose to represent the U.S. in Tokyo. It doesn't have anyone who has been in more than one Olympic Games. Only Stewart has been an Olympian (once), yet I feel absolutely certain this squad would easily have won Gold:

Courtney Vandersloot
Arike Ogunbowale
Sabrina Ionescu
Breanna Stewart
DeWanna Bonner (way overdue her shot)
Diamond DeShields
Kelsey Plum
Jewell Loyd
Dearica Hamby
Jonquel Jones
Nneka Ogwumike
A'ja Wilson
Replace Sabrina with Parker. Parker is the best rebounder and playmaker in the game.

Reactions: sisaq
Replace Sabrina with Parker. Parker is the best rebounder and playmaker in the game.

I adore Parker and think she is one of the top players in the world, but my list was purposefully compiled to exclude any player who has already participated in two Olympic Games. The U.S. doesn't need Candace to win Gold anymore than it needs Bird, Taurasi, Fowles (whom I also love) and others who've already represented the country two or more times in the Olympics.

If not for my two-and-done rule I'd definitely like to have seen Candace one more time.

I adore Parker and think she is one of the top players in the world, but my list was purposefully compiled to exclude any player who has already participated in two Olympic Games. The U.S. doesn't need Candace to win Gold anymore than it needs Bird, Taurasi, Fowles (whom I also love) and others who've already represented the country two or more times in the Olympics.

If not for my two-and-done rule I'd definitely like to have seen Candace one more time.
I see your point.

Yes, Team USA has lost a couple of exhibition games, but I have little doubt they'll get it together and win Gold in Tokyo. Even though a few of the players should not have been selected for this team, ALL of the U.S. players are still going to be better than nearly every other player on every other team, and if the going were to get a little rough down the stretch, I guarantee that pride will give the squad an extra gear and they'll win it all.

But again, whether this team is capable of winning gold or not isn't what has me so put off by it that I refuse to even watch them. They'll win it all. It's that I would have enjoyed watching a new and different group of women winning it. I want to see the faces of players who are standing on the Gold medal platform hearing their national anthem for what will feel to them like the very first time they ever really, really, really heard it before, tears streaming, as first-time Olympic Gold Medalists.

She still could have been on the 3x3 team and made an impact i would have had her, Arike O, Dearica Hamby , and Myiesha Hines-Allen. Team is just as good if not better than the current one and all versatile.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'd probably replace Diamond DeShields with Myisha Hines-Allen. The Gold medal could be handed to Team USA during the opening ceremonies it would be such a no-brainer of a winning team.

..... It's that I would have enjoyed watching a new and different group of women winning it. I want to see the faces of players who are standing on the Gold medal platform hearing their national anthem for what will feel to them like the very first time they ever really, really, really heard it before, tears streaming, as first-time Olympic Gold Medalists.

This
200.gif

Wow Australian player Liz is actually half Nigerian. After their parents divorced mom took her baby to Australia. I can't imagine if all half Nigerians plays for them.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

VN Store

Back