This is a 9-3 Schedule

Right now we would only see what the dark lord (Saban) wants us to see. He has a way of twisting the minds of all who look therein. Look at our last poor Steward Fulmer, who dowsed himself in flames to immolate himself and his chosen son Pruitt.

This is totally working for me. As someone who made his boyhood home for a while a few doors down from Tolkien's house, I get you, Gandalf.

Your crazy as if you think we only gonna win 1 SEC game. I see 8-4 a real possibility. We not losing to Kentucky this year nor Missouri, and USC. We will give Florida and Ole Miss all the want and possiblyo win those. The only 2 longs shots I see on this schedule is Bama and UGA. And Bama has always had trouble with the spread up tempo offense.

1. New Head Coach and new system that nobody knows
2. Anybody who was worth anything on defense is gone
3. We have no clue who our QB will be
4. We are Tennessee

Predictions:
1. We wont win any road games
2. We will be 2-2 to begin the season
3. Our D will be torched by everyone

Stretch Prediction: We lose the home opener

We wont win more than 5 games in year 1

4. We are Tennessee

Predictions:

I will make a simple prediction;

Offense: Average Yards per game will be greater than last year.

Defense: Average Yards per game for our opponents will be less than last year.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
This is totally working for me. As someone who made his boyhood home for a while a few doors down from Tolkien's house, I get you, Gandalf.

Northmoor road in Oxford would seem to be a rather nice place to grow up.

I have no idea how many games the Vols will win this year. At this point, I'm beyond fixating on a number.

I am a lifelong Vol fan. To this day, I still get chills when the band breaks into the "T", plays Rocky Top, and the team runs onto the field.

I am a Vol For Life. I don't care if Elmer Fudd is our head coach. Just play tough, play hard, and the wins will come.

I thought it was time for Coach Fulmer to go when he did. I thought Lane Kiffin, while controversial, would win here and stay here. I was right on the first count, and wrong on the second. Then I thought Derek Dooley was a solid hire. I was wrong. Then I thought Butch Jones would work out. He didn't. Lastly, I thought Jeremy Pruitt would bring the "Bama Mentality" to Knoxville. And I thought hiring Coach Fulmer as our AD was the right move as well. I totally bought the hype video, "Come Together".

I'll just leave it at that. Apparently, I'm easy to fool.

So now it's Coach Heupel. Great resume' as a player; solid resume' as an OC; solid resume' as a head coach, albeit at the G5 level. Not known for his defensive focus or acumen, but more for simply outscoring his opponents. Widely known for his high-powered, high-scoring offenses.

Oh...and he inherited the Mother of all Dumpster Fires at UT. On top of almost two decades of gradual decline and increasing fanbase frustration, he also has potentially serious NCAA sanctions to deal with. One almost has to ask why he would take this job. Lord knows, there were better ones available if he was serious about moving up to the P5 level.

Gosh, I almost hesitate to do this, but....here I go again. I like Heupel. I like his offense. I hope he can find a DC who can keep our opponents under 30 or so a game. I like his confidence. I like his willingness to take over a program that is wallowing, and under a cloud of potential sanctions. I cannot help but like a guy who bucks the odds and says "I can do this."

I like what he has done with the roster. He will not tolerate those who are not all-in, or those who embarrass the brand of UT Football.

If I'm right...and Lord knows it's time the scales finally tipped in my favor...then Josh Heupel will eventually do great things at UT. For me, this year, next year, or the next, are not a "wash". If he's the right guy, then UT will be a tough out from Day 1 of this season, and moving forward. If Coach Heupel is the right guy, then he will find a way to win where his predecessors found a way to lose.

That's what separates the winners from the losers. We're due for a winner. I think / hope Coach Heupel is it.

Go Vols.

Why can’t we play Kentucky when they’re running at Keeneland? who tf wants to go to Lexington in November? Let one of the teams from the west play them then

Florida needs to haul their sorry arses up to Lexy in November for a change. Seriously.

Northmoor road in Oxford would seem to be a rather nice place to grow up.

Nice, Gandalf! This was actually Sandfield Road, circa 1981. There was a plaque above the door at 76 that said he lived there. We were in 52, iirc. I can still remember the day I went to Blackwell's on the Broad Street and discovered The Hobbit. Read it it one day, and was hooked ever after. Á na márië, Mithrandir.

Nice, Gandalf! This was actually Sandfield Road, circa 1981. There was a plaque above the door at 76 that said he lived there. We were in 52, iirc. I can still remember the day I went to Blackwell's on the Broad Street and discovered The Hobbit. Read it it one day, and was hooked ever after. Á na márië, Mithrandir.

Namárië, to you also, mellon.

Reactions: volinthenorth
4. We are Tennessee

Predictions:

Pitt is critical. We're currently ranked below Pitt in preseason rankings and I'm guessing Vegas will see us as the underdog also.

We might beat Pitt, hopefully we do and make a statement, but we also need to shut down their experienced QB from throwing on us. If we win a "Big 12" style, "we don't need any stinking defense" game against Pitt, that's good but we won't be able to go that against SEC competition.

Nick the Devil might say "Offense wins....." and it does but he and the rest of the SEC (except Vandy) recruit the best of the best thoroughbreds on defense. We may light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine on Bowling Green and even put up 50 on Pitt, but if we're giving up 30 to Bowling Green or 45 to Pitt...... life will not be fun when the SEC games start.

A couple of things about JH and his offense he will move the ball, and it's pretty simple to execute in that often times the QB only reads half the field and throwing away from the one high safety, throwing to the slot versus a two high or running off the safety to throw outside as well so it works without a doubt. And With a top flight QB see Drew Lock as a example he can outscore opponents and win games if no top flight QB it becomes tougher but still doable, his OL will look like Gangbusters as well because they won't give up sacks as the ball comes out Quickly before a Pass rush can be mounted because it's so pre-snap read heavy. The running game will be on the back of your RB, can he grind out the Tough yardage?

But with that said on the Flip side your Defense will be put in a very very tough situation if they cannot create Turnover with abandon. No T.O.'s and the other squad can really gas a defense and disrupt the flow of the offense.

I'm very intrigued on what JH will do at Tenn. in his first year, I can see the expectations are really really high.

Reactions: Backwards K
A couple of things about JH and his offense he will move the ball, and it's pretty simple to execute in that often times the QB only reads half the field and throwing away from the one high safety, throwing to the slot versus a two high or running off the safety to throw outside as well so it works without a doubt. And With a top flight QB see Drew Lock as a example he can outscore opponents and win games if no top flight QB it becomes tougher but still doable, his OL will look like Gangbusters as well because they won't give up sacks as the ball comes out Quickly before a Pass rush can be mounted because it's so pre-snap read heavy. The running game will be on the back of your RB, can he grind out the Tough yardage?

But with that said on the Flip side your Defense will be put in a very very tough situation if they cannot create Turnover with abandon. No T.O.'s and the other squad can really gas a defense and disrupt the flow of the offense.

I'm very intrigued on what JH will do at Tenn. in his first year, I can see the expectations are really really high.

Most of Vol Nations expectations are very low. OP is one of the few exceptions.

Terrible post hope u like crow…

It's a message board why don't you give me some counter points and discuss it. Never seen you do anything like that.

I'll gladly eat crow if the Vols could win more than 6 games. There just aren't any known facts to prove that right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: allvolrecruiting
4. We are Tennessee

Predictions:

😐

I appreciate your analysis of how this is supposed to work:
--It will be interesting if the WRs can get off the line of scrimmage in press coverage.
--Other than Hyatt, not sure the Vols have anyone who can stretch the field enough to get the safeties out of the short passing lanes.
--This offense needs a speed back to keep the LBs occupied for at least a 1/2 step on the running game. Do the Vols have that guy?
--Need one QB to step up and take the job.

It's a message board why don't you give me some counter points and discuss it. Never seen you do anything like that.

I'll gladly eat crow if the Vols could win more than 6 games. There just aren't any known facts to prove that right now.

I started to give points but then I felt I was wasting time on a troll… all 4 OOC games are winnable then between OM, SC, Vandy, Mizzou, UK we have a chance to win all 5 so I’m not sure how you say 6 is the ceiling… unlikely we win 9 but it’s possible… good Qb play I’m almost certain we will have that this year CJH has had good to great Qb play at every single stop… when u have good Qb play it minimizes or hides your deficiencies this team has plenty enough talent to win 9 I say 7-5 is most likely and I’m optimistic for 8-4 but to say 6 is the absolute ceiling is ridiculous.

I started to give points but then I felt I was wasting time on a troll… all 4 OOC games are winnable then between OM, SC, Vandy, Mizzou, UK we have a chance to win all 5 so I’m not sure how you say 6 is the ceiling… unlikely we win 9 but it’s possible… good Qb play I’m almost certain we will have that this year CJH has had good to great Qb play at every single stop… when u have good Qb play it minimizes or hides your deficiencies this team has plenty enough talent to win 9 I say 7-5 is most likely and I’m optimistic for 8-4 but to say 6 is the absolute ceiling is ridiculous.

Fair point about good QB play hiding a lot of deficiencies. It is more than a little concerning that no one has stepped out over a list of 4 QBs with great potential but a history of mediocre results. This offense is predicated on an accurate passer who can make quick decisions, good route runners who can make tough catches and a lot of speed our of at least one slot guy and one guy on the edge. Also, need a home run RB to keep the LBs and safeties interested in stopping the run game. Not sure who those guys are yet.

Vols' defense is a trainwreck and with the Vols running a fast paced offense and not controlling the clock, this could be a disaster. Vols play at Missouri and UK and both boatraced the Vols last year in Neyland and both are predicted to be better than they were last year.. Ole Miss has a proven offense and will score a lot of points. Hope the Vols can keep up. It will take 50 to win that one. Vols should beat SC and Vandy but neither one is a dogfall. Pitt will have a veteran team as well.

Having a new system on both sides of the ball is a concern even for a veteran team. There will be growing pains........like WRs running wide open 10 yds behind our DBs. I hope you are right but, been a fan for parts of 7 decades and this team goes into the year with more questions than any team I can remember. There are a couple of points that give me hope: Pruitt and Guarantano are gone.

Punctuation is your friend.

Fair point about good QB play hiding a lot of deficiencies. It is more than a little concerning that no one has stepped out over a list of 4 QBs with great potential but a history of mediocre results. This offense is predicated on an accurate passer who can make quick decisions, good route runners who can make tough catches and a lot of speed our of at least one slot guy and one guy on the edge. Also, need a home run RB to keep the LBs and safeties interested in stopping the run game. Not sure who those guys are yet.

Vols' defense is a trainwreck and with the Vols running a fast paced offense and not controlling the clock, this could be a disaster. Vols play at Missouri and UK and both boatraced the Vols last year in Neyland and both are predicted to be better than they were last year.. Ole Miss has a proven offense and will score a lot of points. Hope the Vols can keep up. It will take 50 to win that one. Vols should beat SC and Vandy but neither one is a dogfall. Pitt will have a veteran team as well.

Having a new system on both sides of the ball is a concern even for a veteran team. There will be growing pains........like WRs running wide open 10 yds behind our DBs. I hope you are right but, been a fan for parts of 7 decades and this team goes into the year with more questions than any team I can remember. There are a couple of points that give me hope: Pruitt and Guarantano are gone.

We beat mizzou last year and we beat ourselves vs UK last year we moved the ball very easy just gave them TDs on pick 6s and crazy fumble TOs… our secondary is not terrible at all especially with the 2 transfer corners and a very experienced safety group… DL took a slight hit but still have a very solid 2 deep no super stars but a bunch of dudes that play hard with an elite DL coach could be good… LB play is the weakest spot but the transfer from Texas, banks, Harrison, Willis could all be formidable better than ovc level… and when your offense is playing well it causes momentum and allows the defense to play with more freedom and confidence… our defense wasn’t terrible last season it’s hard to be inspired to play defense when you know the offense is terrible… all this factors into my thinking and I think it’s a good thing that one Qb has not separated themselves at this point we need a legit fair Qb competition… ppl look at it negative I look at it as we have multiple Legit options at Qb… we named JG the Qb way too early last year CJH will pick the guy and put him in positions to succeed… I understand the hesitancy but this schedule is not a gauntlet and there are 9 winnable games…

We beat mizzou last year and we beat ourselves vs UK last year we moved the ball very easy just gave them TDs on pick 6s and crazy fumble TOs… our secondary is not terrible at all especially with the 2 transfer corners and a very experienced safety group… DL took a slight hit but still have a very solid 2 deep no super stars but a bunch of dudes that play hard with an elite DL coach could be good… LB play is the weakest spot but the transfer from Texas, banks, Harrison, Willis could all be formidable better than ovc level… and when your offense is playing well it causes momentum and allows the defense to play with more freedom and confidence… our defense wasn’t terrible last season it’s hard to be inspired to play defense when you know the offense is terrible… all this factors into my thinking and I think it’s a good thing that one Qb has not separated themselves at this point we need a legit fair Qb competition… ppl look at it negative I look at it as we have multiple Legit options at Qb… we named JG the Qb way too early last year CJH will pick the guy and put him in positions to succeed… I understand the hesitancy but this schedule is not a gauntlet and there are 9 winnable games

I would have to say, that to maybe any other team in the SEC, except Vandy, this isn't a gauntlet. There are too many questions about UT, that it could very easily make it just as bad for the Vols as well.

I would have to say, that to maybe any other team in the SEC, except Vandy, this isn't a gauntlet. There are too many questions about UT, that it could very easily make it just as bad for the Vols as well.
giphy.gif

6-6 is the floor. I think 7-5 is the right guess, but that or 6-6 should work in year one, not only doable but likely. Outside chance at 8-4, not good odds though IMO.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Agreed I was just saying 6-6 is not our ceiling… hell stuff could go wrong and we finish with 5 Ws I don’t believe that but with our history it is possible… I’m always a more positive poster but reality 9 winnable games and good talent I expect us to finish 7-5 and hope for 8-4…

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back