Question on the Roster

sjt18

There is a lively debate over those leaving, those coming, and all that. Not really trying to start another thread for that.

But I'm curious.... does anyone know how UT's current scholarship total compares to the 85 limit? I cannot find information saying that the scholarship limit was increased, was it?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
There is a lively debate over those leaving, those coming, and all that. Not really trying to start another thread for that.

But I'm curious.... does anyone know how UT's current scholarship total compares to the 85 limit? I cannot find information saying that the scholarship limit was increased, was it?

I know this really has nothing to do with your question but that's the thing that sucks the most regarding the transfer portal. Players can leave in droves. There's no cap to how many players you can potentially lose. However teams are still beholden to that hard 25 cap when it comes to how many players they can bring in through either the portal or through your signing class.

Last edited:
That's the thing that sucks the most regarding the transfer portal. Players can leave in droves. There's no cap to how many players you can potentially lose. However teams are still beholden to that hard 25 cap when it comes to how many players they can bring in through either the portal or through your signing class.

Just have a sponsor pay for the tuition and board, and bring players on without scholarship (walk-on) but with all the benefits.

That's the thing that sucks the most regarding the transfer portal. Players can leave in droves. There's no cap to how many players you can potentially lose. However teams are still beholden to that hard 25 cap when it comes to how many players they can bring in through either the portal or through your signing class.
I appreciate the response but that's not really my question.

My question was about the 85 total scholarship limit. The added year of eligibility for some players necessarily means you lose players somewhere else in order to stay under the 85 cap. I don't know how UT or anyone else is managing that.

Was that cap lifted to accommodate the extra year?

Reactions: LittleVol
I believe returning SRs do not count in the 85 total. Not sure how/ when it gets solid again. Example: what if a returning SR gets injured and redshirted. Would it count in 2022?

My question was about the 85 total scholarship limit. The added year of eligibility for some players necessarily means you lose players somewhere else in order to stay under the 85 cap. I don't know how UT or anyone else is managing that.

You're right and I should've acknowledged that. I knew it wasn't but I guess your question got me thinking about it. I amended my original post.

Reactions: sjt18

I think we have 3 players on scholarship.

Reactions: OllVol

As someone who doesn't know much about scholarship limits, I don't know

We have plenty of room lol

Just have a sponsor pay for the tuition and board, and bring players on without scholarship (walk-on) but with all the benefits.

Bama's done this for years. They're called blue shirts. They sometimes pay they own way for one year. Yeah right.

Reactions: LSU-SIU
I know this really has nothing to do with your question but that's the thing that sucks the most regarding the transfer portal. Players can leave in droves. There's no cap to how many players you can potentially lose. However teams are still beholden to that hard 25 cap when it comes to how many players they can bring in through either the portal or through your signing class.

One would think that a natural balance should be that for every player you lose to transfer, you can expand your cap by 1 for the number of remaining years that player had assuming a four year track to graduation, along with some fine tuning to insure that schools didn't find ways to convert non-competitive scholarship players into 1 or 2 year "rental" players brought in to upgrade a position.

But that would of course require thinking, and we all know the amount of thinking that's gone into the NCAA's Free Agency portal.

Reactions: VolForLife83

I believe today is the last day for a football player to tell his school of his intent to transfer and still be eligible at another school this year if they transfer.

This should give us a pretty good idea of who is staying. As for the exact numbers, God knows with the COVID "one year exceptions" and "6th year seniors" and whatnot..... unless someone very close to the program comments, it's going to be hard to sort everything out this year.

Here we go again with the Saluki deep thoughts of the day. I’m sure the Southern Illinois brain trust has all the angles figured out, they always being at the forefront of CFB and all. I mean, it’s the brilliant minds like Saluki here that have it all figured out, just ask him.

I looked into this a few months ago, and I'll try to post the link I'm referencing after I find it. iirc, this season the NCAA will allow more than 85 scholarships to accommodate for the one free year of eligibility. However, by the 2022 season all teams need to be back within the 85 scholly limit. So teams that haven't suffered any attrition, could be looking at 105 scholarship players this season. You are still only allowed to sign a maximum of 25 new scholarship players per season, so in some instances, teams may have below 85 even after signing 25 newcomers. I'm not sure of how this is navigated, but it's my impression that walk-ons receive scholarships for a year or so.

https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships

"With eligibility being expanded for 2020–21 and college programs being able to go above their scholarship cap, Division 1 FBS football programs are likely to take on a full 2021 class and be close to 105 scholarship athletes in the fall of 2021. For 2022, many programs will have to get back down to the 85-player limit."

I looked into this a few months ago, and I'll try to post the link I'm referencing after I find it. iirc, this season the NCAA will allow more than 85 scholarships to accommodate for the one free year of eligibility. However, by the 2022 season all teams need to be back within the 85 scholly limit. So teams that haven't suffered any attrition, could be looking at 105 scholarship players this season. You are still only allowed to sign a maximum of 25 new scholarship players per season, so in some instances, teams may have below 85 even after signing 25 newcomers. I'm not sure of how this is navigated, but it's my impression that walk-ons receive scholarships for a year or so.

https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships

"With eligibility being expanded for 2020–21 and college programs being able to go above their scholarship cap, Division 1 FBS football programs are likely to take on a full 2021 class and be close to 105 scholarship athletes in the fall of 2021. For 2022, many programs will have to get back down to the 85-player limit."
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

It is possible if not likely that even after the attrition UT has had that they will have more than 85 scholarship players on the roster this fall.

If you are going to have roster attrition with a coaching change... this is probably the best time ever to do it. In any other year, UT would have little chance of having 85 scholarship players on the roster this fall and would face a challenge for several years trying to "catch up".

PS- as someone mentioned, there is going to have to be a rule change to account for the portal. UT is extraordinary this year but looking around... maybe teams should be allowed a portal replacement for every loss up to some limit... say 7?

Reactions: jarnol32

Looks like the common sense thing would be lose one get one. But that's the common sense thing. If this common sense approach is not used, at some point a team could be below the number of players to play a game!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Here we go again with the Saluki deep thoughts of the day. I’m sure the Southern Illinois brain trust has all the angles figured out, they always being at the forefront of CFB and all. I mean, it’s the brilliant minds like Saluki here that have it all figured out, just ask him.

Actually, I have said many times... it didn't take much to predict this (pay to play/lawsuits) i.e. it didn't take smarts at all. You just can't think for yourself, and that is sad. Legally this was an easy one to predict, the details as to how this unfolds will be harder to predict as there are too many variables. I have some ideas, but not all of it will 100% go that way i.e. too many variables.

Getting mad at me for being the messenger isn't going to change the outcome.

If your attacking the messenger plan doesn't pan out, you could always become a member of the Flat Earth Society to fill your time... its an equally stupid option.

Bama's done this for years. They're called blue shirts. They sometimes pay they own way for one year. Yeah right.

I would not be surprised by DOJ Anti-trust Division to make moves on the stupid temporary rules and I would suspect the NCAA trying to control the number of scholarships (85/25 football for an example) could be an issue as well.

The problem adding one for one transfers is that the Bamas of this world would then intentionally cut players every year in order to accept more transfers. While this is already happening in a smaller amount, It would open the gate even more. Not sure what the fair answer is.

VN Store

Back