NCAA agrees athletes can make money from their fame

time for our huge fanbase along w/ boosters to level the playing field...show these kids coming to tennessee they can make bank off of jersey sales autograph signings ect...coach needs to set up a marketing department post haste.

Absent the school instituting a rule which would only affect the scholarship, not much anyone is going to do if a players is paid directly. I believe many of these NIL are unconstitutional, but say you wanted to an inducement to attend. One could just sign a contract in another State. Literally, what is going on is nonsense.

Its a free for all.

The NCAA rules involving inducements to come to a school are still in place. I guess once they are here they can start cashing in? This just seems ripe for abuse and cheating. Cheating boosters will figure out where the gray areas are and the kids won’t know the difference until there is already a problem. It’s gonna take a few years to iron this out. Meanwhile, “Fulky Fries” could be the next big thing at Pals…

The NCAA rules involving inducements to come to a school are still in place. I guess once they are here they can start cashing in? This just seems ripe for abuse and cheating. Cheating boosters will figure out where the gray areas are and the kids won’t know the difference until there is already a problem. It’s gonna take a few years to iron this out. Meanwhile, “Fulky Fries” could be the next big thing at Pals…

Those rules are of no consequence which is why they have to make new rules that have consequence to replace the old rules that have no consequence.

The rules they put in place today are just as void, moot and unenforceable as the rules they have in place yesterday.

It’s gonna take a few years to iron this out.

Nah. It will take another few hours. The NCAA has no real say so when it comes to compensation, now the individual schools and conferences could do some new things, but the NCAA is basically out at this point. Those rules mean squat.

If the schools/conferences split out... it might take 10 years to figure out. Right now, wild wild west... you do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Cheating boosters will figure out where the gray areas are and the kids won’t know the difference until there is already a problem.

Not sure what they would be cheating at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairy Vols
as of June 1, you can pay college athletes for NIL. They are now pro athletes. There is NO OVERREACHING BODY that is in charge of this process, because the courts ruled in favor of the athletes.

The reason they did is to ensure that the ncaa could not circumvent state law. So, states, and any governing body ran as quickly as they could to make their own rules for NIL. Now, everyone is on the honor system, because local laws rule, and everyone worth 2 pennies made their own laws in haste and passed them.

If anything, this is likely the slow death of the NCAA, at least in the capacity that we know it to exist.

Agree. Should they be paid? Arguments on both sides have merits, but once implemented it will change everything from the recruiting landscape to players being represented by agents as young as 9th and 10th grade.[/QUOTE. Very good points it just seems like right now that nobody in charge has any answers to how this is all going to work.

Reactions: The Original Fade
Any school in an ultra big media market now has an instant advantage in recruiting. Think UCLA/USC. The amount of money kids can get for making tv appearances and the like will be enormous compared to Knoxville or Nashville.

Reactions: Voltopia
Those rules are of no consequence which is why they have to make new rules that have consequence to replace the old rules that have no consequence.

The rules they put in place today are just as void, moot and unenforceable as the rules they have in place yesterday.

Nah. It will take another few hours. The NCAA has no real say so when it comes to compensation, now the individual schools and conferences could do some new things, but the NCAA is basically out at this point. Those rules mean squat.

If the schools/conferences split out... it might take 10 years to figure out. Right now, wild wild west... you do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Not sure what they would be cheating at.
“NCAA rules that prevent schools from paying players directly remain intact. The board directed schools to make sure that payments to athletes are not expressly for their athletic achievements and to ensure that no payments are used as recruiting inducements.”
Sorry but the NCAA and their power to enforce rules are still intact. This is a mine field everyone still has to navigate…

“NCAA rules that prevent schools from paying players directly remain intact. The board directed schools to make sure that payments to athletes are not expressly for their athletic achievements and to ensure that no payments are used as recruiting inducements.”
Sorry but the NCAA and their power to enforce rules are still intact. This is a mine field everyone still has to navigate…

I'm a university. I want a player REAL BAD. I go to the local TV network and tell them to make this kid a sweet deal for making some local TV appearances and the University will make it worth their while. This is how universities will pay for players without paying for players.

They are intact about as much as the previous rules were intact.

1. DOJ's letter in January covers this i.e. prosecution of Sherman Act violation.
2. The USSC decision although not on inducement addresses how this will go if it goes to the courts i.e. similar result.
3. The Louisiana's bill that will be signed into Law tomorrow makes it moot i.e. inducements can't be restricted unless its done by or thru the state institution.

Why do you think they made temporary rules? To replace the non-enforceable rules. LOL All they did was replace unenforceable rules with new unenforceable rules.

This is a mine field everyone still has to navigate…

Not really, its a complete destruction of the current business model.

They are intact about as much as the previous rules were intact.

1. DOJ's letter in January covers this i.e. prosecution of Sherman Act violation.
2. The USSC decision although not on inducement addresses how this will go if it goes to the courts i.e. similar result.
3. The Louisiana's bill that will be signed into Law tomorrow makes it moot i.e. inducements can't be restricted unless its done by or thru the state institution.

Why do you think they made temporary rules? To replace the non-enforceable rules. LOL All they did was replace unenforceable rules with new unenforceable rules.

Not really, its a complete destruction of the current business model.

10 years from now the football programs that will rule college football will be from the states that back their university football programs the most and who have the most massive media markets in their states.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Any school in an ultra big media market now has an instant advantage in recruiting. Think UCLA/USC. The amount of money kids can get for making tv appearances and the like will be enormous compared to Knoxville or Nashville.

No doubt. How would you like to be the coach at Baylor trying to convince a top recruit he can make as much money in Waco as he could in Austin? Texas is going to get that kid every time.

And yet UT is still about to get hammered by the NCAA for improper benefits. They gonna go out with a bang at the expense of Tennessee 😂

Not much the NCAA can do about unless UT decides to play ball. Really, the ability of the NCAA to enforce what are illegal rules (compensation rules) is coming to a close.

Reactions: posivol
This will be the end of the college football that we all knew and loved. Sad day

They were saying pretty much the same kinda stuff about professional athletes going to the Olympic Games. While the Russians and other communist bloc countries had been sending theirs all along. So it is going to move forward in some form with changes. You should have gotten this upset when targeting was introduced. That is what has really killed it. So, get over it.

Reactions: posivol
Absent the school instituting a rule which would only affect the scholarship, not much anyone is going to do if a players is paid directly. I believe many of these NIL are unconstitutional, but say you wanted to an inducement to attend. One could just sign a contract in another State. Literally, what is going on is nonsense.

Its a free for all.

Wait, the right to make money off your likeness and image is unconstitutional? Think you should’ve paid more attention in civics class.

Wait, the right to make money off your likeness and image is unconstitutional? Think you should’ve paid more attention in civics class.

But that isn't what I said, obviously some States are limiting or regulating them for some unknown reason which could be a regulatory taking(?). I think you should pay more attention when in the forum.

BTW on another subject LSU is already advertising in a big way. All the way up to New York Time Square. LOL

5f3g2t.gif

Bama should start giving seminars on these practices as they have been very successful for many years doing these "gray area" things. It has been obvious for many years that this "gray area" has been in use. When you see a kid who has grown up in less than a strong financial family all at once driving a expensive auto, wearing lots of gold, having very expensive tats and on and on, you have to believe the "gray area" is at work.

VN Store

Back