Most disappointing bowl loss

For me it was the 1992 Fiesta bowl we had a very good team that year on both sides of the ball. We had a 17-7 against Penn St. and were playing great then promptly melted down and got outscored 35-0 and lost 42-17.
Remember at one point in the 3rd quarter we had outgained penn state something like 300 to 50 and were completely dominating them but only up 10. Then in a few minute span they scored 3 tds and we never recovered.

I’ll submit the 2003 Peach Bowl against Clemson. If Tennessee wins that game they would have finished in the top four. The 2003 season would have been remembered as a great one with wins over Florida, Alabama, and Miami. Instead they laid an egg against a vastly inferior opponent and the season is mostly forgotten.

I always thought (and still do) that the team must have partied hard in the weeks leading up to the bowl game because they lost their legs midway through the second quarter and got pushed around the rest of the game...
Yea we did and this was Johnny Majors last bowl game as coach. Seem like I remember Dale Carter fumbling a punt and Coach Majors pulling his helmet toward him when he came back to the sideline he was livid over that.

I’ll submit the 2003 Peach Bowl against Clemson. If Tennessee wins that game they would have finished in the top four. The 2003 season would have been remembered as a great one with wins over Florida, Alabama, and Miami. Instead they laid an egg against a vastly inferior opponent and the season is mostly forgotten.
Yep we finished that season in a three way tie for first place in the eastern division with Florida and Georgia and a reasonable case could’ve been made that we should’ve played for the SEC title instead of Georgia. They should’ve rolled Clemson in that game after talking about taking the Peach bowl more seriously after getting blown out by Maryland the year before but all for not another disappointing bowl loss for Fulmer.

Even if Tennessee had won they wouldn’t have gotten a share of the national championship. Michigan was number one in both polls heading into bowl season. There’s no way that a one-loss Tennessee team, who was ranked third, would’ve jumped an undefeated Michigan team in the coaches poll.
. Yep your right our only hope was Washington St. beating Michigan which they almost did and us beating Nebraska

Remember at one point in the 3rd quarter we had outgained penn state something like 300 to 50 and were completely dominating them but only up 10. Then in a few minute span they scored 3 tds and we never recovered.
Yep OJ Mcduffy and Tony Sacca killed us

I always thought (and still do) that the team must have partied hard in the weeks leading up to the bowl game because they lost their legs midway through the second quarter and got pushed around the rest of the game...

The team had a complete meltdown at half and coaches had to beg many of the players to play the second half. It had nothing to do conditioning or strategy. That team basically quit at halftime.

Scott Frost at QB - beat us 42-17! Beat Florida worse though, 62-24!

Gotta give Florida a break there. The 1995 Nebraska team is the best college team I have ever seen in my lifetime, top to bottom. Just physically dominant in every phase of the game. Some of the recent Alabama teams have come close, but relative to the contemporary competition, 95 Nebraska wins for me.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
You sure that wasn't Tommie Frazier against Florida? They still chop block u..
Yes it was. He broke the Gators! It was Frost that engineered the UT spanking. My point being that Nebraska was formidable in the 90's, but I can't imagine bringing the glory back.

You sure that wasn't Tommie Frazier against Florida? They still chop block u..
Yes it was. He broke the Gators! It was Frost that engineered the UT spanking. My point being that Nebraska was formidable in the 90's, but I can't imagine bringing the glory back. Tommie Frazier was a Florida kid, but Nebraska's not pulling them out of
there much anymore.

Last edited:
Even if Tennessee had won they wouldn’t have gotten a share of the national championship. Michigan was number one in both polls heading into bowl season. There’s no way that a one-loss Tennessee team, who was ranked third, would’ve jumped an undefeated Michigan team in the coaches poll.
I did say claim. How do you think Alabubba got to 45 or whatever they claim now?

The 2006 team wasn't great.
That team should’ve won the East they collapsed against Florida and LSU at home blowing 10 point second half heads in both games and Eric Ainge got hurt before the LSU game. Arkansas beat us pretty good in Fayetteville so I’m not sure if we could’ve beat them in Atlanta for the SEC title. McFadden and Felix Jones were running over everybody that season.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Gotta give Florida a break there. The 1995 Nebraska team is the best college team I have ever seen in my lifetime, top to bottom. Just physically dominant in every phase of the game. Some of the recent Alabama teams have come close, but relative to the contemporary competition, 95 Nebraska wins for me.

Nebraska also played rapists, thugs and numerous players who wouldn’t come close to passing a drug test today too.

Yep, Fulmer got out coached by Tommy Bowden. That’s an awful thing to have happened.

VN Store

Back