Most disappointing bowl loss

In terms of being disappointed with a really bad performance after a pretty good season, I would go with the '94 Citrus Bowl loss to Penn State. Just like in the Fiesta Bowl 2 years earlier, we jumped out to an early 10 point lead and appeared to be in control... and things fell apart.

Tony Robinson's fumble at the end of the 1984 Sun Bowl hurt too. He had scrambled within Fuad Reveiz's field goal range (which was considerable) to win the game, but was carrying the ball away from his body and was stripped. We blew a big lead in this one.

Chop block U
They could knock you flat on your arse straight up as well. Those offensive lines were physically dominant. Supposedly Nebraska got modern physical conditioning, weight gain and nutrition down way before everyone else.

While I agree with all of these mentioned, bowl games are funny things. Sometimes you can just tell the teams don’t care about being there and barely show up. While I want them to win every game, some of those years the teams are disappointed they’re not at a better bowl or some players used to be thinking about not getting hurt and mailing it in. Those peach bowls in 02 and 03, come to mind as well as 99 and 93 bowls. Unfortunately we haven’t worried about that the last 15 years since we’ve just been lucky if we made a bowl.

While I agree with all of these mentioned, bowl games are funny things. Sometimes you can just tell the teams don’t care about being there and barely show up. While I want them to win every game, some of those years the teams are disappointed they’re not at a better bowl or some players used to be thinking about not getting hurt and mailing it in. Those peach bowls in 02 and 03, come to mind as well as 99 and 93 bowls. Unfortunately we haven’t worried about that the last 15 years since we’ve just been lucky if we made a bowl.
Indeed. Since 2005 we have only been bowling 8 times

Since I’ve been an adult, probably the UNC loss.

But I got so unbelievably drunk during the 2009 loss to VT that the hangover that followed might put that at number one.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
For me it was the 1973 Gator Bowl, first Tennessee bowl I remember watching, we lost to Texas Tech. I was 9 but didn’t cry like a big baby like @peaygolf did.

Reactions: peaygolf
They could knock you flat on your arse straight up as well. Those offensive lines were physically dominant. Supposedly Nebraska got modern physical conditioning, weight gain and nutrition down way before everyone else.
Yeah they were good... Wore those opposing knees out as well.

The 2001 Cotton Bowl vs. K-State. We looked completely disinterested. Casey was BRUTAL. He definitely didn't seem to care for cold weather. We were whipped in every facet of the game.
It was one of those where afterwards there was lots of, "bowl games don't matter" talk. The UTAD never comes out and says, "Hey, this one's not going to matter so we're knocking 75% off the ticket price for you. Hotel is probably going to do the same so come on down to Big D with us" when they're peddling tickets and travel packages.
Losing I can handle. It's the ones like that Cotton Bowl, the Maryland and Clemson Peach Bowls that disappoint me the most, ones where we look checked out from the get go.

For me it was the 1992 Fiesta bowl we had a very good team that year on both sides of the ball. We had a 17-7 against Penn St. and were playing great then promptly melted down and got outscored 35-0 and lost 42-17.

I always thought (and still do) that the team must have partied hard in the weeks leading up to the bowl game because they lost their legs midway through the second quarter and got pushed around the rest of the game...

I always thought (and still do) that the team must have partied hard in the weeks leading up to the bowl game because they lost their legs midway through the second quarter and got pushed around the rest of the game...
I agree, for me 92 Fiesta. Hard to remember, but wasn't there a big dust-up in the locker room at halftime? Lot of name calling and divisiveness, i.e. shoving at minimum, then they sort of laid down. I could be thinking of another bowl.

The most disappointing bowl to me was the 2002 Citrus Bowl. Beating Michigan 45-17 was great in the moment but it was also an annoying, grating, irritating, and most of all, glaring reminder that Tennessee had NO BUSINESS losing to LSU in Atlanta and should have played Miami for the title. Yeah, I know, I'm doing the whole "turn the interview question around" bit, but seriously, of all the bowls I think of in my many years, it's the most annoying and certainly the most frustrating. It wasn't even a game. We just goofed around and scored touchdowns. No business losing to LSU. None. GRR. Peyton getting hammered by Nebraska sucked, and that stupid Music City Bowl was a pile of crap, but that 2001 team was the last great Tennessee team and it couldn't get its act together to beat a backup QB or a backup running back and in turn launched Nick Saban's profile into the stratosphere and GAH I just hate that beating Michigan 45-17 is such a meaningless footnote. Just sucks.
Not playing that Miami team was a blessing in disguise.

Not playing that Miami team was a blessing in disguise.

Probably but I think Tennessee was at worst the second best team in football that year and could have given Miami a game. A game against Tennessee would have definitely been better than whatever we ended up with. Nebraska? Meh.

Reactions: memtownvol
. That game sucked Nebraska completely dominated us and Peyton had his worst game of the season even though I think he had a injured knee he just seemed off and disconnected that game.
I think Nebraska ran the ball on every score and IIRC only threw the ball 12-13 times the entire game. And only threw twice the entire second half IIRC. Rarely have I've seen an OLine literally blow the Dline back into the linebackers on almost every play especially in the third quarter where they scored like 3 touchdowns RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. We were beat and we knew it...our LBers looked like jr. highers and couldn't make plays. That's one game I'll never forget as well.

97 Orange Bowl. We got whipped in every possible way. Could have claimed a share in the NC instead of semi-validating Woodson's Heisman Heist.
Even if Tennessee had won they wouldn’t have gotten a share of the national championship. Michigan was number one in both polls heading into bowl season. There’s no way that a one-loss Tennessee team, who was ranked third, would’ve jumped an undefeated Michigan team in the coaches poll.

Maryland trounced us one year in the Peach Bowl, early 2000s. I had (at that point) never seen a Fulmer-led team lay down and die like they did in that game. We've had much more substantial losses than that one, but it's always stuck out to me for some reason.
The official end to Phillip Fulmer’s career what is the 2008 Kentucky game. The unofficial end was is the 2002 peach bowl against Maryland. It was a disgraceful performance.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back