‘23 TN QB Chris Parson (FSU commit)

Then they must've got on him early since he went to grade school and played football w/many of the same kids he'll be playing HS ball with. Family is returning to the same community they'd previously lived in.

Or maybe you don't know as much as you think you do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not claiming to know his reasons for going where he's going. But it's naïve to think that private schools are the only ones recruiting. I've heard public school coaches admit to it. It just doesn't seem to be a problem for many when they do.

And frankly, I have no problem with either. But let's stop acting like it's a problem for one and not the other.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
The Class of 2023 quarterback from Ravenwood High School in Brentwood, Tenn., said he was "very excited" to pick up an offer his second SEC offer Thursday morning from Tennessee during a phone conversation with first-year Vols coach Josh Heupel, and he's now hoping to make his first visit to Tennessee's campus before the end of the summer.

The 6-foot, 190-pound Parson said he "talked to the whole offensive staff, pretty much," on Thursday morning after multiple members of the Vols' staff, including Heupel and offensive coordinator Alex Golesh, watched him throw in person Wednesday during Tennessee State's Roar City Mega Camp in Nashville, Tenn.

"(Wednesday) I was at a mega camp. But instead of participating in the mega camp, I basically had my own pro day on this hidden field away from everyone," said Parson, who's ranked the No. 149 overall prospect and No. 11 quarterback in the 2023 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. "A lot of coaches were up there, and Tennessee was one of them. They liked what they saw and extended the offer (Thursday) morning.

"They liked my leadership throughout the session. I conducted the whole pro-day session myself, and I had two receivers who are good friends of mine running routes for me. They said they loved my accuracy and the way I could sling it across the field, as well.

"I was very excited about this offer. I expected it, especially after the day I had throwing the ball (Wednesday). They made it clear awhile back that they wanted to see me throw in person and interact with me, as well, before pulling the trigger."
-Callahan

Newsflash, just about every good HS program in the state, public and private, recruit. I went to Fulton and have great respect for that community and the coaching staff. I also realize that they recruit. They get kids zoned for AE, Carter, West, Powell and other places. I am sure that Maryville and Alcoa recruit also and there is very little doubt about Catholic. It happens. I am not a big fan, but I will still support my team.
I went to Fulton too and I can assure you we didn’t recruit… now josh Jones as the 8th grade falcon travel coach maybe indirectly recruited players to Fulton but none of the high school coaches at Fulton recruited… now that josh is at Powell I’m not surprised to see their influx in talent recently…

3rd or 4th on the board probably

We’d have better luck recruiting a kid from CA that’s never been to the east coast than we will recruiting a ravenwood kid

Reactions: VolByLaw
3rd or 4th on the board probably

We’d have better luck recruiting a kid from CA that’s never been to the east coast than we will recruiting a ravenwood kid

What’s the backstory there? Ravenwood doesn’t like us?

What’s the backstory there? Ravenwood doesn’t like us?
A lot of their top kids are transplants from other states. More than what are talked about. Then again I don’t know if it’s just an “anti SEC” thing. Ravenwood kids don’t go to UT but they’re not going to Bama/Auburn/UGA/LSU/FL either. They’re going to OU, Michigan, Clemson, etc.

I went to Fulton too and I can assure you we didn’t recruit… now josh Jones as the 8th grade falcon travel coach maybe indirectly recruited players to Fulton but none of the high school coaches at Fulton recruited… now that josh is at Powell I’m not surprised to see their influx in talent recently…
I am not close to the program, so I don't know with certainty. I would be surprised if none went on at all. I went there at the same time as Rob Black and I know he is a great coach and a great man. I just think with how things are these days, you have to do a little just to keep up

Ravenwood seems to have a lot of former NFL guys associated with their program. It may just be because that has been a growing area of Brentwood/WillCo for some time. Other than the odd property along Holly Tree Gap/Murray Lane, "old Brentwood" was pretty much maxed out for new development about 20 years ago, at least until Cal Turner decides it's time to do something with his property. I wonder whether the new Nollensville HS will syphon off some of Ravenwood's talent?

I'm not claiming to know his reasons for going where he's going. But it's naïve to think that private schools are the only ones recruiting. I've heard public school coaches admit to it. It just doesn't seem to be a problem for many when they do.

And frankly, I have no problem with either. But let's stop acting like it's a problem for one and not the other.

Let me explain something here, there's no such thing as recruiting and it's illegal when the state allows open enrollment for kids to pick and choose where they want to go to school. So let's stop making an issue out of nothing just for small talk.

Let me explain something here, there's no such thing as recruiting and it's illegal when the state allows open enrollment for kids to pick and choose where they want to go to school. So let's stop making an issue out of nothing just for small talk.
Let me explain something...which he then follows with complete incoherent rambles that don't actually explain anything. lol

It will come out soon that the kid is going to Ensworth. Somehow Roc Batten pulled him from under Ravenwood feet. Should be interesting to see if this really manifest.
Wait.
Doesn't Ensworth already have a top 100 QB in 2024??

Does Tennessee allow that? I was not aware. Sevier County will let you attend any school in the county as long as you reside in the county, but it has been that way for years. I think Knox County still has zones that dictate where you go to school.

Does Tennessee allow that? I was not aware. Sevier County will let you attend any school in the county as long as you reside in the county, but it has been that way for years. I think Knox County still has zones that dictate where you go to school.
That’s not accurate bc I know a few female basketball players that are not zoned for Bearden but transferred there for basketball…Recruiting happens all the time in Tennessee high school sports…. Typically it happens at the middle school level bc if you switch schools after you start high school then the athlete has to sit a year…… Knoxville Christian got busted for it not too long ago.

That’s not accurate bc I know a few female basketball players that are not zoned for Bearden but transferred there for basketball…Recruiting happens all the time in Tennessee high school sports…. Typically it happens at the middle school level bc if you switch schools after you start high school then the athlete has to sit a year…… Knoxville Christian got busted for it not too long ago.
I knew Jalen Steele's family and he went to Holston Middle. He did really well there, and I know that Fulton, Carter, West and Austin-East all wanted him to come (probably other schools also). He ended up using his grandmother's address and led Fulton to two State championships in basketball.

I had friends who did not play sports who were zoned for Holston but transferred to Fulton based upon classes that were offered at Fulton but not at Holston. That sort of thing goes on all the time, too. Recruiting is very prevalent in high school.

VN Store

Back