Sunshine Pumpers and NegaVols

I am always going to want my Tennessee Vols to be good at everything. I will always get behind our athletes and coaches. However my expectations will also always be high and I will give a coach a chance to meet those expectations. When that doesn't happen then I will always wonder why and know this job can be done well just like in the past ie; Neyland, Dickey, Majors, Fulmer. There is no excuse for the last 14 years being this bad. That being said I am totally behind Coach Heupel and his staff to get this turned around. Go Volunteers!!!!!@@

Reactions: KptVFL
I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?
There are no pessimists in the world and especially not on VN..

They swear they're realists..🤓🙄🙄

Reactions: KptVFL and TJSVOLS
Like a great many on this board, I have seen the Vols in good times and bad over the last 50+ years. I continue to hold out that this once proud program can be relevant again. There's an old 1990's tune called "Orange Memories" by Dave Loggins. One of the lyrics says, "we have been there before and we will be there again." But looking at the situation now makes it much more difficult to continue to believe it. On the other hand, we are witnessing what Tony Vitello is doing with baseball. I recognize football has two holes to dig out of with the NCAA and then recruiting SEC caliber players. No doubt Schiano Sunday and the Pruitt debacle tested many of us beyond our limits understandably. As so many people have said over and over again, we have to have an independent UT administration that really supports UT sports with actions, not words, and coaches that coach up players. It "appears" the administration part of the equation might have changed. And Heupel is behind the infamous "Year 0" in my mind because of the NCAA sanctions hanging over our head and we've yet to see if the new coaching staff can really coach up players. That is how I see things. FWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: LexVol71
I don't know what to call myself. There are quite a few of us UTK alum in the Bay Area that proudly sport the block T but don't ask us about the football team. We get angry and foam at the mouth like we have rabies. We call the head ball coach TCHFCATUTK and are ready for him to step down with each loss to UF and then enjoy blowouts against Vandy and Tucky.

I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?
Nah, it all comes down to what we see on the field/court. Football has been crap for so long, Ive turned into a football negavol but I will pump shine with the best of them when it comes to basketball and baseball.
GBO!!

Which one are you?

Fair question. I think I am a Sunshine Pumper. And for me, I correlate it with being optimistic about most things in life. I usually have the feeling that all things will work together for good. I don't claim to have hard evidence that 2021 is going to be a good season. However, I am optimistic about it, and the piece of evidence that I offer is that I think the character of our coach as an inspiring leader is going to get the most out the players on the roster and they will rise above expectations. I think Pruitt and Butch both created emotional chaos among the players, and they gave up. But I think the opposite will be true this fall. Therefore I think 7 wins is likely and 8 or 9 are possible (though a stretch). I think we will beat the teams that we "should" beat like we used to...because all the emotional chaos caused by the previous deranged head coach will have evaporated. I think we have had good enough athletes for an 8-win season the past few years but we did not achieve it because football, being the most violent and competitive sport out there, is extremely sensitive to mental factors. Team collapse is never far away if the emotional environment is chaotic--and it is the terrible coach who caused that the past few years. He was not a stable, emotionally healthy man. But the opposite will be true this fall IMHO. There you go. Sunshine Pumped.

Fair question. I think I am a Sunshine Pumper. And for me, I correlate it with being optimistic about most things in life. I usually have the feeling that all things will work together for good. I don't claim to have hard evidence that 2021 is going to be a good season. However, I am optimistic about it, and the piece of evidence that I offer is that I think the character of our coach as an inspiring leader is going to get the most out the players on the roster and they will rise above expectations. I think Pruitt and Butch both created emotional chaos among the players, and they gave up. But I think the opposite will be true this fall. Therefore I think 7 wins is likely and 8 or 9 are possible (though a stretch). I think we will beat the teams that we "should" beat like we used to...because all the emotional chaos caused by the previous deranged head coach will have evaporated. I think we have had good enough athletes for an 8-win season the past few years but we did not achieve it because football, being the most violent and competitive sport out there, is extremely sensitive to mental factors. Team collapse is never far away if the emotional environment is chaotic--and it is the terrible coach who caused that the past few years. He was not a stable, emotionally healthy man. But the opposite will be true this fall IMHO. There you go. Sunshine Pumped.
I like your take. Makes me optimistic that we got rid of the weakest link.

Reactions: KptVFL
True

True, but I wonder even if we did win that game, would we still have went on to lose to Vandy and the dirt peckers?
That’s a good point, clearly by the time we played Vanderbilt we were not the same team. What happened? Did the players give up or did our luck run out?
Looking back at that play, it bothers me even more seeing that pass was thrown on first down, for some reason I remembered it as a 4th down desperation pass.

That’s a good point, clearly by the time we played Vanderbilt we were not the same team. What happened? Did the players give up or did our luck run out?
Looking back at that play, it bothers me even more seeing that pass was thrown on first down, for some reason I remembered it as a 4th down desperation pass.
Idk but I do know I’ve never seen as many as game day coaching blunders as Lyle’s lol so I just blame everything during his tenure on that. I remembered it as a 4rth dwn last ditch attempt as well. Who was OC, DeBord? I remember pulling my hair out over his play-calling quite a few times.

Reactions: MAD

I'm not sure we were as good as we thought by that game. We were undefeated but we could have easily lost the opener to App St. and of course we had the Hail Mary against Georgia (granted Georgia had a haily mary like 1 minute earlier).

Also Hurd quitting seemed to cause some disruption.

It’s Always Sunny as a NegaVol.

I’m neither, just a realist. If you made me choose between the two I would rather be a sunshine pumper.

The only people who bother me are the ones that post when things are going bad or we're losing. It's like they love pointing out how much we suck. They never post when things are going good or we get a good recruit. Those are the dudes I can't stand. Albeit they are probably just rival trolls or.....well.....Catbone.

I was a “sunshine pumper” until around 2016, now I’m just numb inside.

2016 was one of the most difficult seasons for me in a long time. I mean think about it. If someone told you hey TN is going to beat UGA and UF in the same season. What would you say? Oh well TN wins the East. Alas. That wasn’t the case.

Reactions: MAD
I am a vol fan, I'm not as knowledgable as the AD at his job. I dont have the experience of the head football, basketball or baseball coach, to be able to be advising them. And I dont believe anyone else on this site is either. Be a Vol fan or go support Vandy, your ego might be closer to meeting their coaching expectations. Its sofa coaches verses people who understand they arent paid to coach for a reason.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I am a vol fan, I'm not as knowledgable as the AD at his job. I dont have the experience of the head football, basketball or baseball coach, to be able to be advising them. And I dont believe anyone else on this site is either. Be a Vol fan or go support Vandy, your ego might be closer to meeting their coaching expectations. Its sofa coaches verses people who understand they arent paid to coach for a reason.

Appeal to Authority

Jeremy Pruitt was paid to be the head football coach at Tennessee, did that make his consistently poor coaching decisions, not actually poor coaching decisions?

VN Store

Back