Sunshine Pumpers and NegaVols

I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?

How about realism?

How about realism?
They don't believe in realism on VN.

They believe you can fire 3 coaches "with cause" for paying players, that your Chancellor and President can say they were "shocked by the extent and number of people involved" in paying players...... and the NCAA won't respond with bowl sanctions and scholarship sanctions.

Apparently, they've no idea that "Institutional Control" means keeping things from getting to the point where your President and Chancellor are "shocked by the extent and the number of people involved."

It's utterly ridiculous not to expect the NCAA to HAMMER us because we self reported a large number of violations and it seems...... I've no direct knowledge, only what I've seen rumored..... that more and more interviews are yielding more and more violations. We can all assume, given how the SEC works..... if the lid has come completely off...... we're screwed front, back, and twice.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I call it like I see it. With ⚾️ and 🏀, I'm really positive. When it comes to talking about our prior administration and our incompetent football hires, then I call it like I see it (and that is largely negative).

Even with Pruitt, I wasnt negative with recruiting. With his in game coaching and staff choices, I was critical since he did a poor job there.
3uq4c91haauz.jpg

I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?

Labeling is a lazy man's way of judging people's intentions and opinions. Those whom you label as sunshine pumpers buy the sales pitch coming from the coach and athletic dept. Perhaps they are hopeful of good things happening, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Those you label as negas, for the most part want the same things, but they aren't buying the sales pitch. Perhaps they are cynical, or perhaps they know BS when they read it or hear it.

Label me however you wish. In the end, DILLIGAF?

Reactions: Boca Vol
Labeling is a lazy man's way of judging people's intentions and opinions. Those whom you label as sunshine pumpers buy the sales pitch coming from the coach and athletic dept. Perhaps they are hopeful of good things happening, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Those you label as negas, for the most part want the same things, but they aren't buying the sales pitch. Perhaps they are cynical, or perhaps they know BS when they read it or hear it.

Label me however you wish. In the end, DILLIGAF?

Well said.

IMO, the Butch Jones hire perfectly demonstrates Negas & Pumpers.

Pumpers jumped all in with the Jones hire celebrating his shared conf. titles, slogans, Volympics, recruiting rankings in May, etc.

Anyone who wasn't overly impressed or questioned those things was labeled as a Nega.

By mid-2017, neither side liked Butch.

Again IMO. both groups want UT to win. They just approach it from opposite directions. Go Vols.

I've been accused of being both, so I'm not sure it's even a real thing. More than likely it's just a label that can be used to dismiss your argument by someone who disagrees with you.

Yep this could apply to a lot of aspects of life. Labels and branding are being used to dismiss or hesitate to use the latest word "cancel" people that you do not like or they have a different view than you.

You Karen's get off my Lawn....LOL

Reactions: Hacksaw
Just compete and win the damn games. It cures everything ! No need to label any fan then.

Well said.

IMO, the Butch Jones hire perfectly demonstrates Negas & Pumpers.

Pumpers jumped all in with the Jones hire celebrating his shared conf. titles, slogans, Volympics, recruiting rankings in May, etc.

Anyone who wasn't overly impressed or questioned those things was labeled as a Nega.

By mid-2017, neither side liked Butch.

Again IMO. both groups want UT to win. They just approach it from opposite directions. Go Vols.

Well Boca, since you brought up Butch Jones, I will say this: Coming off the Dooley circus, the day Jones arrived? He made a Hell of a good first impression. However, it seems clear that was a well written, well thought out speech, and it was probably written for him. Going forward when Jones started speaking for himself, it turned out he never sounded as competent from that day on. The man had "individualitis", and was a master of bad cliches.

The day of that introductory press conference, I turned into a sunshine pumper, because he had me convinced Tennessee fans were finally getting lucky. I tried to have a sense of humor with his "fashion shows" both during the last year with Adidas, and the first with Nike. And like everyone else, I was super pumped when he brought in such a loaded class with Hurd, Malone, Barnett, the Berry brothers, and that whole load of promising talent. He brought in talent that should have resulted in championship contenders. Sadly the development of that talent was not what it should have been. And I most will agree that the development of that talent was more show than substance.

The pumpers saw the positives, but ignored the negatives. The negas, IMO, saw through the BS and noted the warning signs. I just wish the pumpers would quit thinking the negative people were cursing the program. No they weren't. They were right. If the pumpers one day want to rub it in because they were finally right? Hey, they are due.

Used to be a Sunshine Pumper until the football program went into the dumps to a point of no return. Once that happened, I became a NegaVol. Now I'm just indifferent and don't care. Similar to battered wife syndrome. lol

A lot of it relates to why people post on the internet in the first place. They are bored and often looking to argue about something.

A lot of it relates to why people post on the internet in the first place. They are bored and often looking to argue about something.

We am not here to argue. And if we weren't bored before, we are now. Thanks to you.

Dear NegaVols and Sunshine Pumpers,

While you are arguing over whether or not the glass is half empty or half pull, I drank it.

Yours truly,

The opportunist.

Reactions: gnm53108
I have to say I'm on a roller coaster of sunshine and nega rides, I don't care what game it is, I go into it hoping and praying we can win the game. If we do win, I see sunshine, if we lose I see nothing but negatives every where. I've been stuck on the negative coaster for a long time now.

I'm hoping to see a well coached team out there this year, competing with pride, and scaring every team.

Last edited:
Reactions: N.ohio vol
As BreatheUT said at the top of this page, there are those of us who see things in reality and call it as is. If we call out the negative then we are labeled Negavols, which is not really what we are. You can be a die hard UT fan and still see the negatives when they exist but the sunshine pumpers cannot see that. You can only be a vol fan if you ignore the negative and think its always sunshine and rainbows. Go over to the Ladyvols forum and say anything negative about the Weeklys and see all the name calling the sunshine pumpers will say to you. Comical.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't like to be to high or to low. I would rather stay positive even in bad situations, but its nearly impossible sometimes with the way the football program has been run.
I was going to post this same position. My problem is when things go studiedly bad I can get really negative really fast. But I'm like your pet dog, you can be really hard on him and 10 minutes later he is wagging his tail and licking your face.

Instead of labeling people and descending into name calling, why don't you just debate the facts a person has posted if you disagree with them.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Appeal to Authority

Jeremy Pruitt was paid to be the head football coach at Tennessee, did that make his consistently poor coaching decisions, not actually poor coaching decisions?
Appeal to Authority can be a logical error. True.

But that's a coin with two sides. Ignoring the authority of subject matter experts is perhaps an even more common and costly logical fallacy. It is what happens when a person who doesn't know what they're talking about believes they know as much about a subject as an actual authority figure with experience in the field.

For instance, a guy named Bearded believing he knows more about football than Jeremy Pruitt just because Pruitt failed as a head coach in his first go. Or trying to convince another person that they shouldn't give any credence to the AD's experience and knowledge, simply because a thing out there exists called "appeal to authority logical fallacy."

Playing the logical fallacy card every single time you see a person defer to the experience and knowledge of a person in authority, well, that's just idiocy trying to masquerade as insightfulness.

But you be you, Bearded.

VN Store

Back