'22 TN PG Brian Edwards Jr. (BJ Edwards) (Tennessee commit)

B.J. Edwards visit tomorrow has been changed to an unofficial for Tennessee because of his trip out to Las Vegas for the Pangos Camp.

That's actually a good thing for Tennessee because he's coming back at the end of the month and taking his official visit at the same time as Dillon Mitchell, who was also at the event in Las Vegas and someone Edwards spent some time with.
Mitchell trending above Brandon Miller?
Talent wise? I don’t think so but I think he’s much further along in the recruiting process and I think Tennessee is in very good shape
-VQ

Mitchell was the largest riser in the recent Rivals update, and I’d expect a similar jump in the upcoming 247 update. Miller is an instate guy and there is something to be said for that, but I’d take Mitchell today, if he wanted to commit.

You obviously aren’t turning away Miller but if you feel he’s aways off from a decision (some have said spring), then you definitely don’t drag your feet on others. Realistically for fall I would think 3 is likely and 4 is the max…

Edwards
Wallace
Hood-Schifino
Mitchell
Green
Clowney

All seem like probable fall decision guys, and that’s not mentioning Okpara, Traore or Udeh.

You obviously aren’t turning away Miller but if you feel he’s aways off from a decision (some have said spring), then you definitely don’t drag your feet on others. Realistically for fall I would think 3 is likely and 4 is the max…

Edwards
Wallace
Hood-Schifino
Mitchell
Green
Clowney

All seem like probable fall decision guys, and that’s not mentioning Okpara, Traore or Udeh.
According to Rivals, Traore is “extremely high” on Tennessee, Kansas, and Texas, and adds that Gonzaga could be close to offering.

Edwards, Hood-Schifino, Mitchell, and Traore is an excellent haul for 2022 in the fall. Extremely realistic, too.

He is possible, too, but probably and either/or with Hood-Schifino. Wallace is probably a more advanced defender and JHS the more advanced offensive player.

Honestly, I think Cason Wallace goes elsewhere. Hood is a great player and would be a great get.

Honestly, I think Cason Wallace goes elsewhere. Hood is a great player and would be a great get.
I’d agree, JHS seems to be a more attainable target based on his recent list of visits, IMO, although some feel like Wallace will eventually come down to UK and Tennessee. I think JHS is more likely to stick around a couple years than Wallace, even though I think the talent gap is probably minimal. Wallace probably has the perceived “higher ceiling”, which is probably more likely to make him a one-and-done kid.

What it boils down to is, I’d take two years of JHS over one year of Wallace.

Edwards, Hood-Schifino, Mitchell, and Traore is an excellent haul for 2022 in the fall. Extremely realistic, too.

They seemingly are in a really good spot with quite a few guys, I mentioned the other day how good a job they’ve done in 2022…

BJ Edwards- enough said
Cason Wallace- I was told “Tennessee is the early leader”
Dillon Mitchell-seems very interested in UT and OV’ing, VQ seemingly hinting that Tennessee has a good shot
Jalen Hood-Schifino-not a daunting “Top 5” at all and given the competition and Gainey’s ties to CP3 as well as Grant Williams we’ve got a really good shot
De’Ante Green-same as above as he plays for CP3, we haven’t backed off and UNC seemingly is slow playing him
Noah Clowney-talked about wanting to get to Tennessee and visit more than anywhere, good relationship with Gainey, not huge competition
Yohan Traore-apparently gonna spend his own dime to come see UT, French connection help with Schwartz/Pons/Diboundje

Idk how many they’d take, but man it would be hard to tell either of those guys no
Yeah, it would be, but you only have so many spots, especially in the fall, and especially for a SG. With Bailey, Vescovi, Powell, Diboundje, and Mashack all potentially returning, can you afford to take 2 SGs? A couple of those guys can play SF in a 3-G lineup, as could JHS.

1. Fulk is out of eligibility.

That is really your only guaranteed spot.

2. Chandler is likely 1-A-D
3. BHH is likely 1-A-D
4. Bailey is a senior, but retains an additional year of eligibility. Does he come back or look for a larger role elsewhere?
5. Maybe JJJ leaves for NBA.
6. Uros or ON may transfer.

Too many talented players is a good problem to have, but it is also the kind of problem that makes taking Tamba a year early a potentially questionable decision.

Yeah, it would be, but you only have so many spots, especially in the fall, and especially for a SG. With Bailey, Vescovi, Powell, Diboundje, and Mashack all potentially returning, can you afford to take 2 SGs? A couple of those guys can play SF in a 3-G lineup, as could JHS.

3. BHH is likely 1-A-D
4. Bailey is a senior, but retains an additional year of eligibility. Does he come back or look for a larger role elsewhere?

Too many talented players is a good problem to have, but it is also the kind of problem that makes taking Tamba a year early a potentially questionable decision.
I think 3/4 is the number for fall, I do think Uros very likely could move along,he would’ve graduated at that point…not that that’s a huge difference now with the waiver. Which with that new rule, I’m over signing by 1-2 every fall if they’re guys I want.

3. BHH is likely 1-A-D

Tamba is apparently smart enough to get a full academic scholarship. That’d be awesome if we could convince him to go that route to save a scholarship.

3. BHH is likely 1-A-D

Isn’t Fulkerson’s a free spot in 2021-22 so there's not an opening when he leaves? 14 scholarships this year and 13 next?

Isn’t Fulkerson’s a free spot in 2021-22 so there's not an opening when he leaves? 14 scholarships this year and 13 next?
Yes, we are carrying an open scholarship into this season, in effect. His leaving doesn’t free up an additional spot.

Current scholarship players
1. Chandler - FR
2. BHH - FR
3. Aidoo - FR
4. Mashack - FR
5. Diboundje - FR
6. Powell - SO
7. JJJ - JR
8. Nkamhoua - JR
9. Vescovi - JR
10. Plavsic - JR
11. Bailey - SR
*12. Tamba (assumed) - FR
*13. empty

Reactions: Maxwell865
Tamba is apparently smart enough to get a full academic scholarship. That’d be awesome if we could convince him to go that route to save a scholarship.
That would be nice and would help quell the fears of people who believe him to be a reach by the staff. Hard to believe he’d accept that deal because it really restricts a lot of the benefits of being a student-athlete, IIRC. I don’t believe that walk-ons are allowed access to the exact same perks as scholarship athletes with regards to meals, nutrition, training, equipment, etc.

That would be nice and would help quell the fears of people who believe him to be a reach by the staff. Hard to believe he’d accept that deal because it really restricts a lot of the benefits of being a student-athlete, IIRC. I don’t believe that walk-ons are allowed access to the exact same perks as scholarship athletes with regards to meals, nutrition, training, equipment, etc.

Have always wondered what the main differences are there.

Yes, we are carrying an open scholarship into this season, in effect. His leaving doesn’t free up an additional spot.

Current scholarship players
1. Chandler - FR
2. BHH - FR
3. Aidoo - FR
4. Mashack - FR
5. Diboundje - FR
6. Powell - SO
7. JJJ - JR
8. Nkamhoua - JR
9. Vescovi - JR
10. Plavsic - JR
11. Bailey - SR
*12. Tamba (assumed) - FR
*13. empty

So realistically we have 3 spots assuming 2 of 3 from Chandler, BHH, and JJJ leave for the NBA. All of the SOs, JRs, and the SR have an additional year. More than 3 open spots and all 3 need to go to the NBA, Vescovi leaves for international, and/or some are encouraged to leave (ON, Plav, Bailey (bad idea if any improves IMO… need some upperclassmen leaders)).

I would think ORN, Plav, Bailey are all pretty plausible transfer candidates…BHH and Chandler 1 and done, open spot…so could see anywhere from 3-6 or maybe even more. I would be trying to sign at least 4 in the fall if I could get the right guys.

So realistically we have 3 spots assuming 2 of 3 from Chandler, BHH, and JJJ leave for the NBA. All of the SOs, JRs, and the SR have an additional year. More than 3 open spots and all 3 need to go to the NBA, Vescovi leaves for international, and/or some are encouraged to leave (ON, Plav, Bailey (bad idea if any improves IMO… need some upperclassmen leaders)).
Baileys extra year shouldn’t count as a scholarship I believe in 2022-23, like Fulk this year. I think we’ll easily have 4 spots and possibly more with Bailey no longer taking a spot (stay or go), Chandler and BHH to the draft, possibly JJJ to the draft, and as others have mentioned there are going to be so many transfers every offseason now with the new rules

Baileys extra year shouldn’t count as a scholarship I believe in 2022-23, like Fulk this year. I think we’ll easily have 4 spots and possibly more with Bailey no longer taking a spot (stay or go), Chandler and BHH to the draft, possibly JJJ to the draft, and as others have mentioned there are going to be so many transfers every offseason now with the new rules

Not how it works, that’s a one year deal…their year of eligibility didn’t count but they will count against the limit going forward.

VN Store

Back