2024 Recruiting Thread

I found this on Madi FB page. Looks like she can create and shoot from deep. She has alot of film on her social media. What I can gather from what I've watched is she can shoot from deep, real deep. Can finish with both hands. High IQ, can handle the ball looks like she plays pg/sg. She is ruffly somewhere between 5'9-5'10 but looks athletic and long on film. Got a very quick 1st step and seems to get by defenders fairly easily. I was impressed watching her considering she is only a freshman she plays much older. She will get physically stronger and possibly taller. I think she has major high ceiling and potential. I like the kid already

Not "Just" A Shooter: Episode 2

All I know is that the current tone around 2024 recruiting is setting up both this forum and Tennessee basketball for three more years of hostile, adversarial conversations that ultimately benefit no one. We've already had this thread "modified" previously, and with three whole years between now and the signing year, it's probably going to happen again. And maybe again. Who knows. What I do know is that I think we've got some people setting themselves up for disappointment, bitterness, and resentment on this topic, and it's only going to get worse --probably even toxic -- before it's over and done with.

For the record, I think it's ridiculous to think a VolNation.com thread about women's basketball recruits for a class several years in the future should have that problem. But. Here we are. I'll be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong should that be the case.

All I know is that the current tone around 2024 recruiting is setting up both this forum and Tennessee basketball for three more years of hostile, adversarial conversations that ultimately benefit no one. We've already had this thread "modified" previously, and with three whole years between now and the signing year, it's probably going to happen again. And maybe again. Who knows. What I do know is that I think we've got some people setting themselves up for disappointment, bitterness, and resentment on this topic, and it's only going to get worse --probably even toxic -- before it's over and done with.

For the record, I think it's ridiculous to think a VolNation.com thread about women's basketball recruits for a class several years in the future should have that problem. But. Here we are. I'll be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong should that be the case.

I have been watching young kids play bb for many years . You can usually tell the ones that have that it thing that lets you think hmmm there’s potential there ! However , to offer college scholarships at such ages ????

I have only seen one player (Jaloni Cambridge ) that I would offer immediately! It was in Tennessee State tournament. She was in eight grade ...... No Doubt in my mind . JMO

Coach Jumper, should you be putting Madi Hawk’s business out there publicly like this? I mean, what she’s sharing with you privately? Maybe she and her parents gave you permission, but if not, you may want to get it first. :oops:
Yeah, I have a real problem with compromising her privacy.

Coach Jumper, should you be putting Madi Hawk’s business out there publicly like this? I mean, what she’s sharing with you privately? Maybe she and her parents gave you permission, but if not, you may want to get it first. :oops:

Her parents and I speak often. Both Audrey and Billy. They fully support me.

If I thought for a minute that I was a reason for her not getting an offer, I would cut the strings immediatley....But this can only be verified by the coaching staff, and not you fans....Madi is probably 75% of this thread, I get it, but if you look back on my recent posts they were in answer to a question from AL:
So, Coach, what is your theory as to why UT has not yet offered Madi?

And I try to answer questions when any of you ask them.
I won't win over all of you posters, nor will I try...

Lastly, I saw a kid from TN that I saw in person and was very impressed with commit to Alabama.
I will work to try to not let that happen with Madi.
The staff has my email and all of them know how to reach me....If there was validity to @lvocd 's or @mlindsay 's assertion, I would have heard from them or one of my many contacts about it by now.
As of yet, I have not

Can we get back on topic so Freak doesn't have to intervene,,,please

I found this on Madi FB page. Looks like she can create and shoot from deep. She has alot of film on her social media. What I can gather from what I've watched is she can shoot from deep, real deep. Can finish with both hands. High IQ, can handle the ball looks like she plays pg/sg. She is ruffly somewhere between 5'9-5'10 but looks athletic and long on film. Got a very quick 1st step and seems to get by defenders fairly easily. I was impressed watching her considering she is only a freshman she plays much older. She will get physically stronger and possibly taller. I think she has major high ceiling and potential. I like the kid already

Not "Just" A Shooter: Episode 2
As I've said this kid can play. As I've said too Kelly doesn't recruit this type of player. Hawk is quicker than weathers. But both players are alot alike.

Her parents and I speak often. Both Audrey and Billy. They fully support me.

If I thought for a minute that I was a reason for her not getting an offer, I would cut the strings immediatley....But this can only be verified by the coaching staff, and not you fans....Madi is probably 75% of this thread, I get it, but if you look back on my recent posts they were in answer to a question from AL:

And I try to answer questions when any of you ask them.
I won't win over all of you posters, nor will I try...

Lastly, I saw a kid from TN that I saw in person and was very impressed with commit to Alabama.
I will work to try to not let that happen with Madi.
The staff has my email and all of them know how to reach me....If there was validity to @lvocd 's or @mlindsay 's assertion, I would have heard from them or one of my many contacts about it by now.
As of yet, I have not

Can we get back on topic so Freak doesn't have to intervene,,,please
If jumper is bugging the coaching staff about Hawk then most definitely it is killing her recruiting with Tennessee

I have been watching young kids play bb for many years . You can usually tell the ones that have that it thing that lets you think hmmm there’s potential there ! However , to offer college scholarships at such ages ????

I have only seen one player (Jaloni Cambridge ) that I would offer immediately! It was in Tennessee State tournament. She was in eight grade ...... No Doubt in my mind . JMO
You are correct. However she came in 13th in espnw rankings due to the new people ranking the players not going out evaluating like Dan Olsen did.

Reactions: PRG
If jumper is bugging the coaching staff about Hawk then most definitely it is killing her recruiting with Tennessee

Doubt that. If this is a professional staff, which it is, and if they evaluate a player as one that they want, it shouldn't matter to them at all who is or isn't pushing the player.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Doubt that. If this is a professional staff, which it is, and if they evaluate a player as one that they want, it shouldn't matter to them at all who is or isn't pushing the player.
I disagree. You can be a professional staff and not want to deal with all that comes along with it. It would probably be different if the player was of relation to the person. But a person who is of no relation that has attempted to build (or has built) relationships with former Lady Vols and is attempting to build relationships with future ones, just might not sit well with the school or coaches.

I am all for Coach accomplishing his goals and helping Tennessee return to its winning ways by identifying talent but imo the easiest way to do that is to create/coach his own team (or coach for another AAU organization) and put them on UT's radar that way. Doing it as some would see as an "independent contractor" just doesn't sit well.

I disagree. You can be a professional staff and not want to deal with all that comes along with it. It would probably be different if the player was of relation to the person. But a person who is of no relation that has attempted to build (or has built) relationships with former Lady Vols and is attempting to build relationships with future ones, just might not sit well with the school or coaches.

I am all for Coach accomplishing his goals and helping Tennessee return to its winning ways by identifying talent but imo the easiest way to do that is to create/coach his own team (or coach for another AAU organization) and put them on UT's radar that way. Doing it as some would see as an "independent contractor" just doesn't sit well.
I just know if I was recruiting and someone everyday was pushing one certain player at first I be like thank you and then look at them. However after day I day out emails dms and constant contact about them. I'd definitely get tired of it.

There's no secret or privacy broken. Speaking to a child and parents does not mean child will commit where u like. If she comes to TN it means she lov TN that's it. No matter how close he is to players they will never tell him where they're going to commit.

Reactions: Ladyvolbig
You are correct. However she came in 13th in espnw rankings due to the new people ranking the players not going out evaluating like Dan Olsen did.

I don’t profess to be a national recruiter! However, I played a little and coached a little, and go to our state tournament every year ( not last year ...COVID). But I can tell a great athlete form a good one ! Average players can differ in potential to become a better athlete! These are NOT HARD correlations to make ..... Just Saying

2018 class had Rhyne Howard rated HG/38 and PN/33... Jordan Cambridge was rated HG/39 and HG/23 . I use them because they are both from Tennessee and I watched both play ! One went to Kentucky and other to Vandy ! I knew when they were in High School that one was better than the other! It was not close ..... However, I did not think Rhyne would improve like she has ! She played 30 ft. from the goal and played more team ball without being the leader she is today ? Coaches improved her game ?

2019 class ..... Esmery Martinez was a 3 star ranked player and Jayla Hemingway was ranked HG/89 and PN/ 19 . Again both are from Tennessee and I watched both ! To be fair they play different positions at West Virginia. But Esmery is a starter and main contributor and Jayla is a substitute! The comparison between these ladies reminds me of the old saying....,,

“It’s not the size of the dog in a fight .
But the size of the fight in the dog !”

All you have to do is watch their games for let’s say 10 minutes and you can see the fight in Esmery ! I will give you an easier way to rate the players that you can see play !

Remember when you played ball and two people would choose their teams on the playground? WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR TEAM ? Easy Peasy. 😈

I don’t profess to be a national recruiter! However, I played a little and coached a little, and go to our state tournament every year ( not last year ...COVID). But I can tell a great athlete form a good one ! Average players can differ in potential to become a better athlete! These are NOT HARD correlations to make ..... Just Saying

2018 class had Rhyne Howard rated HG/38 and PN/33... Jordan Cambridge was rated HG/39 and HG/23 . I use them because they are both from Tennessee and I watched both play ! One went to Kentucky and other to Vandy ! I knew when they were in High School that one was better than the other! It was not close ..... However, I did not think Rhyne would improve like she has ! She played 30 ft. from the goal and played more team ball without being the leader she is today ? Coaches improved her game ?

2019 class ..... Esmery Martinez was a 3 star ranked player and Jayla Hemingway was ranked HG/89 and PN/ 19 . Again both are from Tennessee and I watched both ! To be fair they play different positions at West Virginia. But Esmery is a starter and main contributor and Jayla is a substitute! The comparison between these ladies reminds me of the old saying....,,

“It’s not the size of the dog in a fight .
But the size of the fight in the dog !”

All you have to do is watch their games for let’s say 10 minutes and you can see the fight in Esmery ! I will give you an easier way to rate the players that you can see play !

Remember when you played ball and two people would choose their teams on the playground? WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR TEAM ? Easy Peasy. 😈
Oh I agree if you were in that situation right now and you had pick 7 to go play let's say Kentucky hs all stars who would they be

Reactions: NeedOrange
Oh I agree if you were in that situation right now and you had pick 7 to go play let's say Kentucky hs all stars who would they be

I would have to move to Kentucky! And go watch their kids play and in their state ?
The only players I mentioned were ones that I have seen in person and gave my personal opinion. The correlation between kids by recruiting services is imperfect but it is the tool that some use ..... Everyone can have an opinion! As the saying goes .... everyone has one 😱

Reactions: mlindsay
I would have to move to Kentucky! And go watch their kids play and in their state ?
The only players I mentioned were ones that I have seen in person and gave my personal opinion. The correlation between kids by recruiting services is imperfect but it is the tool that some use ..... Everyone can have an opinion! As the saying goes .... everyone has one 😱
Sorry I was saying picking the Tennessee team

just might not sit well with the school or coaches.
Doing it as some would see as an "independent contractor" just doesn't sit well.
However after day I day out emails dms and constant contact about them. I'd definitely get tired of it.

I hear you, but I still think a professional staff does not NOT take the player they want because of a somewhat overly enthusiastic ambassador. (NOT saying the coach is overly enthusiastic - I have no idea - I'm just debating the assumption by some on here that he might be)

Sorry I was saying picking the Tennessee team

This last state tournament was limited to parents , and people with ties to each school !
I could not get in even with the contacts that I use every year ! COVID has kept me in most of this year .... sorry 😢

Looking at our team .... this year we will have 14 players and we should lose 4 which brings us down to 10 for 22 with Justine the only recruit coming in for now which will put us at 11 for year 22. With this information we can give up to 4 more scholarships but this might affect 2023 ? Just Saying

We have offered up to seven players listed in the top 20 rankings or are on their interest list .
As I have stated earlier that rankings are not an exact science but top 20 is usually a pretty good predictor of a successful player ?? I would prefer another big ( Janiah Barker , Ashlyn Watkins ). Either one would give us another big coming in as Key and Saunders would be graduating the next year . We need a point guard coming in every year but I have no clue for 22 ? These players on our radar .... I have not seen therefore I cannot give an opinion other than what I can read or see videos on-line. Just My Opinion

CJ is not a booster. If he were a booster he would not even be allowed to talk to MH or her parents.
Shocked I am! CJ doesn't give financial support to the institution! Shocked really. The way he talks I thought for sure he was committed to the program.

you are not a fan of mine, so anything you say is dismissed as a troll and an antagonist...or simply put, when it comes to Coach Jumper,,,you're opinion is tainted and "don't matter!"

VN Store

Back