‘23 TN QB Marcel Reed (Texas A&M commit)

Known him since he was in 1st grade. Good kid...Basketball is probably his best sport.

“I called (Golesh) and he just wanted to inform me that I still have the offer that I got earlier from the other staff, and the new staff really likes me just as well as the other staff did, and they want me to keep that offer,” said Reed, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 155 overall prospect and No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the 2023 class and the No. 5 sophomore from the state of Tennessee.

“And they just let me know how their program is and how they’re going to do things from now on, and how my position at Tennessee is a demanding position and takes a lot of responsibility and leadership.”

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound Reed is the son of former Tennessee State coach Rod Reed. The younger Reed said he has “never lived anywhere else” because of his father’s lengthy tenure at his alma mater, where he served as head coach for the past 11 seasons.

“I mean, I never really liked (Tennessee), but I never hated them, at the same time,” Reed said. “I like my dad’s team — the team he used to coach, actually. I liked TSU and spent a lot of time with their players growing up.”

He has never been to Tennessee’s campus, but he said he plans to visit the Vols once in-person recruiting resumes.

“I’ve been to Knoxville a couple of times, and then I pass through there every summer going to Black Mountain, North Carolina,” Reed said. “But I’ve never been, actually, on the campus, I don’t think. But I’ve heard a lot about Tennessee. I mean, I’ve got a lot of friends that are Tennessee fans, of course, because we live in Tennessee.

“But I’ve heard a lot of good things, and I’m really looking forward to getting up there sometime this summer. I’ll probably end up going to, like, a camp sometime this summer up there and just trying to meet the coaches after June 1 when the dead period’s up.”

Tennessee’s new staff likes what it has seen from Reed on film.

“They, like a lot of other schools, have said they just like my ability to throw,” he said. “The thing is, they’ve all let me know that I’m capable of throwing the ball and I’m a really good thrower, but I’m also an athlete and can run.

“I really appreciate it when coaches tell me that — that they like that I can throw — because I don’t really want to be known as a running quarterback. I want to be known as a throwing quarterback, because that’s what quarterbacks really do. I mean, I view running as an equal part of my game, yes. But I really like throwing the ball.”

One of Reed’s teammates, Class of 2022 offensive tackle Grayson Morgan, holds offers from more than 20 schools, including Tennessee. Reed said Morgan’s college decision “might” factor into where he chooses to play.

“Me and Grayson have been talking a lot about this recruitment process,” Reed said. “I’ve been playing with Grayson since we were about 6 years old. We talked about, I mean, just our future. We’ve been thinking about going to the same college. … We both have the same ideas on where we might want to go to.”

While Reed said he has “heard about” the uptempo offense Tennessee is planning to run under Heupel, he added the Vols haven’t “really talked too much” about how he might fit into their plans.

“I like an offense that throws quite a bit,” he said. “But I also like an offense that is fast-paced and I’d have some options — run-pass options.”

He said Louisville has “been trying to stay in contact with me” since giving him one of his first offers in July. He said Georgia, Tennessee and Vanderbilt are among the other teams currently recruiting him hardest.
-Callahan

Blake1136717: How good is marcel reed in the 23 class?

Ryan Callahan: I think he's pretty good, and he has a chance to be really good. He's a talented kid, for sure, and has a lot of upside. I know Georgia is really high on him, and he's the only in-state QB the Vols' new staff has offered to this point in what's shaping up to be a strong class of in-state QBs. The previous UT staff also offered Kenny Minchey of Pope John Paul II High School in Hendersonville and Braylen Ragland of White Station High School in Memphis, but this staff has set its sights on Reed to this point among the in-state 2023 QBs, so I think Tennessee is pretty high on Reed.

He's a coach's son, a good athlete and still a fairly young kid for his grade, so there's a lot to like about him as a prospect.

— Four-star Class of 2023 quarterback Marcel Reed of Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville, Tenn., headlined the group of quarterbacks in attendance and was sharp for most of the night, particularly on deep throws. Reed, who received an offer from Tennessee's former staff in December and added an offer from the Vols' new staff in April, has emerged as their early focus among a solid group of in-state quarterbacks in the 2023 class. Reed received plenty of attention from Tennessee's coaches during and after the camp and was impressed by what he saw during his first visit with the Vols. Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Texas A&M are among Tennessee's early competition for Reed, who's the son of former Tennessee State coach Rod Reed.
-Callahan

First-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff has identified Reed as one of its early in-state priorities in the 2023 class. He traveled to Knoxville for the first time June 4 to participate in the Vols’ Night at Neyland Camp, and he said he enjoyed getting to know their coaches, including quarterbacks coach Joey Halzle and offensive coordinator Alex Golesh.

“I like their offense a lot,” Reed said. “Coach Halzle and Coach Golesh, them coming from UCF, their offense is really good, and I really like it. I’ll probably get out there again. … But I really like their offense.

“(Halzle) talked about not going for the deep ball, but the things they run can turn into a deep ball, and I like how they get into open space and use the grass.”
-Callahan

Marcell is amazing but the DL dominated Ravenwood. Primarily the defense as a whole forcing 5 TOs and they converting most of them into points. His stats were very pedestrian in this game but again he has "IT"
I listened to the game on 104.5. Sounded like total domination on both sides of the ball.

Marcell is amazing but the DL dominated Ravenwood. Primarily the defense as a whole forcing 5 TOs and they converting most of them into points. His stats were very pedestrian in this game but again he has "IT"

Reed's dad is one of the nicest people on the planet. Great athlete than can play anything.
Chris Parson had a bad int, but he's got an arm on him. High ceiling.

Reed's dad is one of the nicest people on the planet. Great athlete than can play anything.
Chris Parson had a bad int, but he's got an arm on him. High ceiling.

Yeah good dude and definitely was dealt a bs hand by the powers that be at TSU. They hv an idiot with no experience or clue more money than Reed and his whole staff. There were years in which a parent catered pre-game meals or the team would've been eating in the Cafe. They wouldn't pay for athlete's summer school. Reed went out of his way to kp some kids out of trouble and had kids sleeping in the football office in the summer and feeding them out of pocket. Then found out 2 yrs he had no recruiting budget at all. Total cluster F*** hand he was dealt.

Yeah good dude and definitely was dealt a bs hand by the powers that be at TSU. They hv an idiot with no experience or clue more money than Reed and his whole staff. There were years in which a parent catered pre-game meals or the team would've been eating in the Cafe. They wouldn't pay for athlete's summer school. Reed went out of his way to kp some kids out of trouble and had kids sleeping in the football office in the summer and feeding them out of pocket. Then found out 2 yrs he had no recruiting budget at all. Total cluster F*** hand he was dealt.
I actually coached there when he was hired. I understand the "budget" their department of athletics has. :rolleyes::oops:

VN Store

Back