Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our terrible 2016 defense helped that average out tremendously.

2017 was helped out by two lame duck teams in UF and us (and really a third because Arky fired bielema as he walked off the field after the Mizzou game)

Can someone help @scvolfan7 with his goal posts? They look like they are heavy and they are getting moved frequently. Just a spot if nothing else would be really helpful here. TIA.

I'll never understand the "let's trash the new guy before he's coached a down" crowd.

What benefits accrue to you as a fan upon taking that stance?

How does that benefit the program?

You can quote your old posts, say I told you so, and pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

Exactly. That's why SCfan is in here crapping on Heupel and his offense (that finished top 5 the last 3 years) while at the same time saying that Beamer could be a home run hire lolol. Fans will definitely be more optimistic about their own prospects.
Now who’s pushing a narrative lol

You take one off handed remark I made about Beamer (someone you seem to really want to talk about. Are you really a vol fan?), and run away with it saying that I think it’ll be a homerun. I’m giving him props because, structurally, I like the way he is planning on running the program. That doesn’t change the fact that they have a severe lack of talent, brutal schedule, and not much to sell in recruiting.

Heupel could be a homerun too. I think he’s assembled a damn good staff and I like the players he’s bringing in. My problem with him is that his whole selling point is that he’s an offensive guru and his program will be built around how great his offense is. I’m not buying that...yet. Specifically, I’m not buying it because I don’t think his track record is that impressive in the SEC. you can push your narrative with stats, but when I watch games I don’t come away thinking “this man is a genius.” UCF fans didn’t either and they spent three years watching him

Reactions: 74volz
Not to mention.... Heupel is constantly changing..... he has added wrinkles to his offense and sped it up faster.
Good point! Getting fired at Oklahoma ended up being a godsend. He was able to study the Briles offense from the architect himself and implement the parts he wanted.

I'll never understand the "let's trash the new guy before he's coached a down" crowd.

What benefits accrue to you as a fan upon taking that stance?

How does that benefit the program?
They are the same ones that when Pruitt was hired who said he was going to beat Bama and bring Tennessee back and who thought he should not of gotten fired. Probably the same ones who thought Butch was doing a good job

You take one off handed remark I made about Beamer (someone you seem to really want to talk about. Are you really a vol fan?), and run away with it saying that I think it’ll be a homerun. I’m giving him props because, structurally, I like the way he is planning on running the program. That doesn’t change the fact that they have a severe lack of talent, brutal schedule, and not much to sell in recruiting.

Heupel could be a homerun too. I think he’s assembled a damn good staff and I like the players he’s bringing in. My problem with him is that his whole selling point is that he’s an offensive guru and his program will be built around how great his offense is. I’m not buying that...yet. Specifically, I’m not buying it because I don’t think his track record is that impressive in the SEC. you can push your narrative with stats, but when I watch games I don’t come away thinking “this man is a genius.” UCF fans didn’t either and they spent three years watching him
The (attempted) misdirection of questioning Bass Vol fandom is a troll indication. If he’s enamored with Beamer, why does he trash him while you declare him a “home run”. Do you think this crap through beforehand and why is the answer “no way!”?

They are the same ones that when Pruitt was hired who said he was going to beat Bama and bring Tennessee back and who thought he should not of gotten fired. Probably the same ones who thought Butch was doing a good job
Nah. They're the ones who predicted Dooley to suck, Butch to suck, and Pruitt to suck. They're 3 for 3 with the doomsday predictions, why not try to go 4 for 4?

Reactions: tnvols72
I was one of those that desperately wanted Pruitt since he gave an interview as Georgia’s D/C......I thought he was the next big thing..... I hold my head in shame and repent daily.

I was excited about Pruitt too. Successful DC at multiple stops and tutelage under Saban's program all pointed towards at least a UGA like level of success. It was not known at the time that Pruitt's brain was mush from growing up in Alabama and that he failed to pay attention to how Saban actually runs his successful football program.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Plenty of sunshine pumpers here, no doubt. I am one of them. But, they get laughed at constantly by the "realists." At the end of the day, this is a fan site. Not saying we should not welcome all opinions. Just saying that fans tend to be more optimistic about their own prospects.
To me, I try to be positive. Being negative is like betting against UT. Part of you wants them to win and part of you wants to be right. Much more fun to just believe they will be good and deal with it when they aren't lol.

But I don't mind the parity. I find it kind of annoying around here sometimes that dissenting opinions make people so damn mad.

Pruitt was fired because the Haslam camp saw a chance to get rid of Fulmer so they blew nothing up into something. That whole mess was more about CPF than Pruitt.
No, that was certainly true, but they would not have been able to win their war if Pruitt had not done the things he had done.

The (attempted) misdirection of questioning Bass Vol fandom is a troll indication. If he’s enamored with Beamer, why does he trash him while you declare him a “home run”. Do you think this crap through beforehand and why is the answer “no way!”?
Where did I declare Beamer a homerun hire?

His two years in the SEC, where he took over the worst offense in the country and turned them into the number 1 offense in the league with a bunch of 3 star nobodies, are enough to undo his 10 years of coaching where he’s developed 2 Heisman winners and multiple draft picks at Qb while always being a top offense in college football, including the top 5 offense in each of his 3 years as a head coach? Makes sense.

You’re not pushing a narrative at all. Just being real bro!

His two years in the SEC, where he took over the worst offense in the country and turned them into the number 1 offense in the league with a bunch of 3 star nobodies, are enough to undo his 10 years of coaching where he’s developed 2 Heisman winners and multiple draft picks at Qb while always being a top offense in college football, including the top 5 offense in each of his 3 years as a head coach? Makes sense.

You’re not pushing a narrative at all. Just being real bro!
That no.1 offense was so good that Mizzou went 4-8 and 7-6. Sorry I’m doubting him man

That no.1 offense was so good that Mizzou went 4-8 and 7-6. Sorry I’m doubting him man
Was he the head coach? Again, keep moving those goal posts. His offense has worked everywhere it has been. He has two Heisman QB's and multiple draft picks at Qb. Has he ever had an offense ranked outside of the top 15 in all his years of coaching? But keep spinning that narrative! If he was at SC you'd be proclaiming him the next Spurrier.

Was he the head coach? Again, keep moving those goal posts. His offense has worked everywhere it has been. He has two Heisman QB's and multiple draft picks at Qb. But keep spinning that narrative! If he was at SC you'd be proclaiming him the next Spurrier.
I've declared Beamer the next Brad Scott.

I will give you your floor prediction. There’s no ceiling where I sit. Beautiful sky that’s the limit. I see 15 as the top limit, but that’s only because there would be no more opponents to beat.

Our HC has his guys on the offensive side. Please see our Spring game. Didn’t matter which players were on the field, coaches had plays for each players strength and utilized it.

Our HC for the first time since he has even been an OC has a really good defensive coaching staff. The only team that they cannot stop will be the one that they practice against. Most of the transfers have been defensive players. I think that we will see a different defense when they don’t have to go against CJH. Just watch.

DCJW...WGWTFA!

I am VolsDoc and I am an OptiVOL!

All the “realists” are gonna get steamrolled!(not directed at you Vols4us at all)
I am plum tired of low expectations. We win them all.

As Knute Rockne said, “We didn’t lose, we just ran out of time.” I never ever felt like a loser when Johnny was the HC. I didn’t feel like a loser through the majority of CPF’s tenure. But started to know which games we would lose before kickoff. Then starting with kiffin, I felt like a loser. That ended when pruitt wad fired. A VFL should never feel like a loser. It’s unnatural. The hiring of CJH has restored the balance of my universe. 🤠

Look at Vols softball, tennis, golf, baseball, and basketball! Now we’re starting to roll!
That's exactly right. Never felt like a loser with Johnny or Phil although with Phil toward the end it was like we will lose this game if he gets a lead then quits. Feeling like a loser started with Kiffin and reached a crescendo with Pruitt. Now we have a coach that wants to score then score some more and gets the most out of his players without holding them back.

You can quote your old posts, say I told you so, and pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

Yep!

I'll say, I didn't have a great feeling about Pruitt when he came. But I hoped for the best and generally enjoyed the last half of the 2019 season, even after the first half shocked the final bit of naivete out of me regarding how far we'd fallen as a program.

But getting on a message board to foam and moan incessantly about my opinions of Pruitt and my thoughts on him seemed like a complete waste of time to me. I supported him up until the Kentucky game last year, and from there I just patiently waited to see how Tennessee would handle the transition. Seems easy enough to do.

Ultimately, this program needs stability more than anything else right now. I hope Heupel can last 6 years at least, even if he doesn't win any titles. That would do wonders for the program, including for our ability to hire a new coach.

To me, I try to be positive. Being negative is like betting against UT. Part of you wants them to win and part of you wants to be right. Much more fun to just believe they will be good and deal with it when they aren't lol.

But I don't mind the parity. I find it kind of annoying around here sometimes that dissenting opinions make people so damn mad.
I think you misinterpret responses as anger. Someone declares their take as a “fact” and they’re basically begging for a retort. A majority seem to get miffed at positive outlooks. Plenty of posters are in wait and see modes. They’re treated very well. If someone’s preaching at you that we need to shut the program down until we hire Urban Meyer, there’s not much to work with. 😏

Was he the head coach? Again, keep moving those goal posts. His offense has worked everywhere it has been. He has two Heisman QB's and multiple draft picks at Qb. Has he ever had an offense ranked outside of the top 15 in all his years of coaching? But keep spinning that narrative! If he was at SC you'd be proclaiming him the next Spurrier.
You’re the narrative guy. You accuse me of being an SC fan yet you’re the one that keeps bringing them up over and over again while I’m trying to talk about our HC. SAD!

You’re the narrative guy. You accuse me of being an SC fan yet you’re the one that keeps bringing them up over and over again while I’m trying to talk about our HC. SAD!
Thus you have come to the end of your ability to further your narrative. Goal posts have been moved as far as you could move them. You've argued against reality as much as was possible. So now you turn to a weak troll attempt. It was fun exposing you. Have a nice day.

Some have argued Hype only ran it up vs small schools at Mizzou and didn't really produce in the league. Granted, every team does this to some degree. But I'd argue look at the vast improvement he brought in terms of scoring vs SEC teams.

2015: 9.1 PPG (The #1 lowest scoring ouput of the decade in the SEC)

2016: 22.6 ppg (+13.5) - still better than any of our offenses since 2016

2017: 34.6 ppg (+12.0)

So by only his 2nd year he had already improved them by 25.5 ppg in league play. Incredible.
I want 40 points against KY this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back