Vitello Article In Today's Knoxville News Sentinel

Volfan1000

Blake Toppmeyer Column.

Synopsis of the article is that Vitello is running the best sports program currently at UT and that his $600.000 salary places him in the middle of the pack among SEC Coaches.

The improvements to LNS could take a few years but Tennessee should give Vitello and his staff raises to show their financial commitment to him.

Terrific read.

A&M will be coming after Vitello. Tadlock, Schlossnagle, Vitello. I believe that’s their top 3.

A&M will be coming after Vitello. Tadlock, Schlossnagle, Vitello. I believe that’s their top 3.

If he leaves us for TAMU clearly he wants to be there, not here. We want success, but ultimately we need a HC who wants to stay long-term. Hopefully, Vitello is our guy. He’s building something great in Knoxville.

If he leaves us for TAMU clearly he wants to be there, not here. We want success, but ultimately we need a HC who wants to stay long-term. Hopefully, Vitello is our guy. He’s building something great in Knoxville.

I just don’t think it’s that’s simple regarding who wants to be where. I don’t blame any coach for wanting to go to a program that gives them more of an opportunity to have sustained elite success.

As much as we don’t want to admit it here Tenn is never going to be a top SEC baseball job unless drastic changes are made with the ncaa and scholarship structures. A&M is a much easier job than Tenn and Salary and facilities are irrelevant

Reactions: TX2TN
Totally agree, UT just needs to make sure he doesn’t have a reason to leave. However, Vols could still be affected is Schlos or Sarloose from TCU get the gig. Elander is a TCU guy.

I just don’t think it’s that’s simple regarding who wants to be where. I don’t blame any coach for wanting to go to a program that gives them more of an opportunity to have sustained elite success.

As much as we don’t want to admit it here Tenn is never going to be a top SEC baseball job unless drastic changes are made with the ncaa and scholarship structures. A&M is a much easier job than Tenn and Salary and facilities are irrelevant

Drastic changes can be and should be made. No reason Tenn can’t be amongst the top echelon in collegiate athletics. Hopefully, Danny White will allocate the funds to keep TN Baseball successful. Tennessee needs brand rejuvenation in all phases.

Yes, his salary can be addressed more quickly, but I think a real and quick commitment to improving LNS is more important to him. I believe he’s UT’s to keep or lose based on LNS. We need our own “Warp Speed” effort to make the physical improvements he wants within 9 to 18 months or we could lose him. It could be done if the right people want it done!

I posted this in another thread:

Assuming the architectural renderings that we saw for the left field line and outfield seating have not yet progressed to contract document drawings and specs, which is a rational assumption, the time for that (3 or four months) and the time for review and approval by local officials for building permits (3 to 6 months), has to happen. And then there will be a public bid and bid award period (2/3 months). Then the winning contractor will need a few months to order materials and mobilize. And in order to construct that, the contractor would have to start immediately aft the end of a baseball season in order to be finished by the first of the next season, weather permitting. So, since we are now at the end of this season, there's no way we could get that built as rendered by start of next (22) season. The earliest would be to have it ready for the start of the 23 season.

So, I'm thinking some temporary bleachers would have to be erected for next season if they want to add capacity right away.

very true. I’ve never understood the whole “if they want to be here they will stay.” I like my current job a lot. I love the people I work with. I’m proud of my accomplishments and what I’ve built here, but if someone else comes and offers me 200k more I’m gone. Vitello isn’t married. No kids. Nothing to tie him to the area. It will take a lot less to lure him away than we think, IMO.

A couple weeks ago, I heard an interview with Mike Morgan (SEC/ESPN baseball announcer) talking about CV and his success at TN. He said that before CV took the job, several people advised him against it citing exactly what you mentioned above, that "TN is never going to be a top SEC baseball job" and also that he could never win here, that UT didn't have a commitment to baseball, that LNS was among the worst baseball stadiums in the SEC, etc.

He took the job anyway and look where we are 4 years into his coaching tenure. He's proving that Tennessee can be right with the top baseball programs in the league.

In my opinion, TN can be top SEC baseball job IF the UT athletic department and administration makes a firm long term commitment to invest in the program. With the exception of Vanderbilt, all SEC schools have to wrestle with NCAA and scholarship structure.

I would say I have more to lose than anyone here if he leaves and yet I could not blame him if UT does not step up and make some clear advances quickly. I could not believe that we did not bring in bleachers down the left field line for the Arkansas game and will be stunned if it does not happen before regional. You have had 2 weeks to get them in place because we have known for 2 weeks that we were guaranteed to host regional. I don't think you can blame a coach for bettering himself and his staff. That's the guy I want coaching my kid is the one who cares about others. I don't think he will leave for $100K but some are saying the LSU job could pay twice what he is making and maybe TAMU is the same some have alluded to.
I believe it is the other way around. If we want him, we will do what it takes to keep him. If not, then we are showing the world where UT sees baseball. He has done his part and made baseball relevant.

A couple weeks ago, I heard an interview with Mike Morgan (SEC/ESPN baseball announcer) talking about CV and his success at TN. He said that before CV took the job, several people advised him against it citing exactly what you mentioned above, that "TN is never going to be a top SEC baseball job" and also that he could never win here, that UT didn't have a commitment to baseball, that LNS was among the worst baseball stadiums in the SEC, etc.

He took the job anyway and look where we are 4 years into his coaching tenure. He's proving that Tennessee can be right with the top baseball programs in the league.

In my opinion, TN can be top SEC baseball job IF the UT athletic department and administration makes a firm long term commitment to invest in the program. With the exception of Vanderbilt, all SEC schools have to wrestle with NCAA and scholarship structure.

I think it boils down to depth when it comes to the scholarship issue. This has been a Magical year but the issue I see is there isn’t really any depth being developed with the pitching staff. It’s the same arms over and over and in midweeks you don’t see guys like other SEC places have getting developed. Sure vandy is another story but many of the other SEC schools have way better ways to relax cost than Tenn such as Florida and Georgia that instate kids get full tuition paid thru their lottery

Reactions: Volstylexx
I would say I have more to lose than anyone here if he leaves and yet I could not blame him if UT does not step up and make some clear advances quickly. I could not believe that we did not bring in bleachers down the left field line for the Arkansas game and will be stunned if it does not happen before regional. You have had 2 weeks to get them in place because we have known for 2 weeks that we were guaranteed to host regional. I don't think you can blame a coach for bettering himself and his staff. That's the guy I want coaching my kid is the one who cares about others. I don't think he will leave for $100K but some are saying the LSU job could pay twice what he is making and maybe TAMU is the same some have alluded to.
I believe it is the other way around. If we want him, we will do what it takes to keep him. If not, then we are showing the world where UT sees baseball. He has done his part and made baseball relevant.

The football program is a clear example of what mismanagement can do. Hopefully, Tennessee will invest in success. Ultimately, that’s what it’s about. A mediocre approach leads to mediocre results, or worse.

Bruinvol, I would disagree on developing arms. We had two premier arms go out that would have greatly helped us. Plus I think Anderson and Vitello have given guys a chance on weekday games. You have to understand their philosophy of pitching, right or wrong it is theirs. THROW STRIKES. They don't care how fast you throw it as long as you throw strikes. Their pet peeve is don't walk guys. Give us a chance to play. The ones who are no longer getting a lot of innings have a high walk ratio per batters faced. This was their philosophy from day one and even came up in our recruiting. We will lose Dallas and Heflin next year and maybe Hunley but the rest will be back. Add back in Leath and Joyce and the guys who got time and the ones coming in and you have a good staff. But the philosophy will not change. THROW STRIKES. If you throw 100 but can't get it over the plate you will not pitch. With that we will give up some HR's but we get a lot of ground balls and flyouts. It is hard to say it has not worked when we are where we are. Every staff is narrowed down to about 6-7 guys getting most of the innings just like us at this point in the season.

The football program is a clear example of what mismanagement can do. Hopefully, Tennessee will invest in success. Ultimately, that’s what it’s about. A mediocre approach leads to mediocre results, or worse.

This upcoming off-season will tell me all I need to know about Danny White, whether he's committed to winning or committed to increasing the bottom line in the short run. I am done with our dumpster fire football program. I'd like to see us make a commitment to the coaches running programs that give Tennessee fans something to be proud of. We've spent more money telling coaches to stop coaching here than we have on coaches coaching here it feels like. I want to be told sports outside of football matter, and no matter what flowery language DW uses, if TV walks then I've been told all I need to know where baseball ranks in his eyes.

I realize there is a similar thread, but thought I'd put this here anyway as it relates to aTm's coaching search.

Tadlock was among aTm's top targets in its search. CV is also on its short list.

Kendall Rogers said in this week's D1 chat that there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on with the search.

JMO, but we may find out where White stands sooner rather than later.

Bruinvol, I would disagree on developing arms. We had two premier arms go out that would have greatly helped us. Plus I think Anderson and Vitello have given guys a chance on weekday games. You have to understand their philosophy of pitching, right or wrong it is theirs. THROW STRIKES. They don't care how fast you throw it as long as you throw strikes. Their pet peeve is don't walk guys. Give us a chance to play. The ones who are no longer getting a lot of innings have a high walk ratio per batters faced. This was their philosophy from day one and even came up in our recruiting. We will lose Dallas and Heflin next year and maybe Hunley but the rest will be back. Add back in Leath and Joyce and the guys who got time and the ones coming in and you have a good staff. But the philosophy will not change. THROW STRIKES. If you throw 100 but can't get it over the plate you will not pitch. With that we will give up some HR's but we get a lot of ground balls and flyouts. It is hard to say it has not worked when we are where we are. Every staff is narrowed down to about 6-7 guys getting most of the innings just like us at this point in the season.

you misinterpreted my post: this staff is great at developing arms but the staff just isn’t deep and that boils down to recruiting $ imo.

Guys like WalkerB, davidPrice, and leiter were midweek starters at vandy as freshmen. They were allowed to pitch extended innings in the midweek and develop. Tenn just doesn’t have that depth so we see the same arms pitching in relief on Fri-sun pitching a lot in the midweek. That’s not the best recipe for long term depth

I realize there is a similar thread, but thought I'd put this here anyway as it relates to aTm's coaching search.

Tadlock was among aTm's top targets in its search. CV is also on its short list.

Kendall Rogers said in this week's D1 chat that there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on with the search.

we need to stop acting like this is some big test for White.

Imo there is nothing he can do to keep TV. If TV has a goal to win multiple Nattys and go to the CWS regularly he is going to leave no matter what White does

Well, Tadlock was choice #1 and Vitello is choice #2. Hope we're ready to do what is necessary. Looks like the search has zeroed in on our guy.

Reactions: TN_gal

I believe if they can’t get Tadlock, Schloss or CV they target assistants. J Bob Thomas and Sarloose would be tops.

we need to stop acting like this is some big test for White.

Imo there is nothing he can do to keep TV. If TV has a goal to win multiple Nattys and go to the CWS regularly he is going to leave no matter what White does

For myself, and many other fans, it is a big test for White. I'd like to see how aggressive his offer can be to retain our baseball coach.

If he makes an aggressive offer and CV leaves for another program, then so be it.

Based on your opinion, I think you assume that CV already has one foot out the door.

This upcoming off-season will tell me all I need to know about Danny White, whether he's committed to winning or committed to increasing the bottom line in the short run. I am done with our dumpster fire football program. I'd like to see us make a commitment to the coaches running programs that give Tennessee fans something to be proud of. We've spent more money telling coaches to stop coaching here than we have on coaches coaching here it feels like. I want to be told sports outside of football matter, and no matter what flowery language DW uses, if TV walks then I've been told all I need to know where baseball ranks in his eyes.

Much truth in this post.

For myself, and many other fans, it is a big test for White. I'd like to see how aggressive his offer can be to retain our baseball coach.

If he makes an aggressive offer and CV leaves for another program, then so be it.

Based on your opinion, I think you assume that CV already has one foot out the door.

I think if TV makes a baseball decision he’s gone without any thought and there is nothing White can do to stop it. Maybe he makes a decision based on something outside of baseball but White will have no control on that.

VN Store

Back