Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I remember a lot of people thought it was strange to build a statue to a player because that is a way to run out of room quickly. I don't think anyone cared that they did it and don't think it has been mentioned since until of course one of them brought it up again for us to talk about again. I think the false banner got the most attention.

I remember a lot of people thought it was strange to build a statue to a player because that is a way to run out of room quickly. I don't think anyone cared that they did it and don't think it has been mentioned since until of course one of them brought it up again for us to talk about again. I think the false banner got the most attention.

What is false about the banner? It does not claim a National Championship. SC ended the season as the consensus #1 team in the country when the college season ended abruptly. I believe the banner should have said "consensus" instead of "unanimous" due to the fact a minority of the voters voted Oregon number one. So they should be the only team/fan base with an issue with it. The banner was put up for her players and the fans as a reward for the season they had.

Reactions: Talon2
What is false about the banner? It does not claim a National Championship. SC ended the season as the consensus #1 team in the country when the college season ended abruptly. I believe the banner should have said "consensus" instead of "unanimous" due to the fact a minority of the voters voted Oregon number one. So they should be the only team/fan base with an issue with it. The banner was put up for her players and the fans as a reward for the season they had.
It is BS means nothing to nobody and counts for nothing. That is what is false about it.

They have a banner as SEC champions for the year they had. Only 63% of teams with the #1 seed have won the NCAA D1 National Championship Tournament. They are trying to say they were the best team in the country when many, if not most, prognosticators thought Oregon was playing better at the end of the season.

The classless part of the SC banner is that it is subjective. Certainly, Oregon was a team that was very strong as well as some other teams. The number one in the AP poll at the end of the season does not always win NC and it changes a lot during the year. The rankings are subjective and also differ based on who is doing the ranking.

The classless part of the SC banner is that it is subjective. Certainly, Oregon was a team that was very strong as well as some other teams. The number one in the AP poll at the end of the season does not always win NC and it changes a lot during the year. The rankings are subjective and also differ based on who is doing the ranking.

Well, Danny White’s football team did it a few years ago when there was an actual champion crowned.

Reactions: Bret178 and shiverz
They have a banner as SEC champions for the year they had. Only 63% of teams with the #1 seed have won the NCAA D1 National Championship Tournament. They are trying to say they were the best team in the country when many, if not most, prognosticators thought Oregon was playing better at the end of the season.

Why do you care what a school hangs in their gym or put on their property? Some of you fans get trigger by any little thing. Dawn even hang #1 attendance banners. Maybe she just like banners.

Reactions: mcannon1

Again a national title was not being claimed.

Reactions: Poultrygeist

It’s the very definition of a participation trophy and very unbecoming of a program with a NC.

It’s the very definition of a participation trophy and very unbecoming of a program with a NC.
And everyone outside of the UCF fan base laughed at them for it.

Yes to both of these statements. I have no problems with Dawn and believe she's a good coach who has built an outstanding program but the banner is the definition of WTH? She lobbied after season's end to be named national champions after it was clear the NCAA had no plans to do so. They had a fantastic year and if they wished to include their undefeated record on the SEC champs banner then go right ahead.

I agreed with the UCF criticism then and still do. They had a wonderful year and deserved to be recognized for it but to claim they had a share of the NC was ridiculous. I have a feeling it was mostly done as a PR stunt to increase interest in the program for local fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: volman128
Again a national title was not being claimed.

It is the inference that they were the best team in the country and Baylor and Oregon were not. A good coach does not take accolades from the capricious system of the national polls. As a fan you are aware that at anytime during the course of a season, the best team is not number 1.

And it is not an isolated event but a continued pattern of Dawn trying to establish as fact what she has not yet earned. Trying to white wash a loss by saying "It was the ball". Just stand up and say she did a poor job of in game coaching that left her team too tired to compete in the overtime.

And everyone outside of the UCF fan base laughed at them for it.

Not everyone Colley-Matrix, one of the official rankings used by the NCAA to determine its champions, named UCF as national champions. That is why they claimed the title. No one said Dawn was national champions even after she appealed to the NCAA to name SCAR as national champions.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not everyone Colley-Matrix, one of the official rankings used by the NCAA to determine its champions, named UCF as national champions. That is why they claimed the title. No one said Dawn was national champions even after she appealed to the NCAA to name SCAR as national champions.

OMG why are there people on the internet that take statements hyperliterally 🥴

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to both of these statements. I have no problems with Dawn and believe she's a good coach who has built an outstanding program but the banner is the definition of WTH? She lobbied after season's end to be named national champions after it was clear the NCAA had no plans to do so. They had a fantastic year and if they wished to include their undefeated record on the SEC champs banner then go right ahead.

I agreed with the UCF criticism then and still do. They had a wonderful year and deserved to be recognized for it but to claim they had a share of the NC was ridiculous. I have a feeling it was mostly done as a PR stunt to increase interest in the program for local fans.

Not to mention they had essentially the same team this season…and no NC.

Not to mention they had essentially the same team this season…and no NC.

Wrong! i got on SC fans saying that might be even better this year because Henderson would score more and Amihere was an upgrade over Herrigan. Those two were the heart and souls of that team and were sorely missed.

So essentially was looking at the roster but those two meant a lot more and i think SC fans who were expecting the same results found that out the hard way

We have a statue of Pat. We do not have a statue of Chamiqua, Tamika or Candace.
I think the difference is obvious.

True, we don’t have statues of any of our great players, but I actually think the statue of Wilson makes perfect sense and I’m really glad the university did it.

What many people are forgetting is that one of the major differences between Chamique/Tamika/Candace and Aja Wilson is that Wilson is actually proudly FROM South Carolina.

Unlike our “bests,” Wilson made the almost mind-blowing (at the time) decision to turn down ALL of the top programs who greatly coveted her in order to stay home and try to get South Carolina out of the perpetual cellar of the SEC.

And she did it — even winning a national championship!!! She’s a hometown hero who took a huge personal risk in betting she’d never regret choosing South Carolina.

So, yeah. South Carolina’s own Aja Wilson (Dawn Staley) put South Carolina Women’s Basketball on the map — MORE than just “on the map” — and that’s something the entire state was proud enough of to give her a statue. I LOVE it!!!

True, we don’t have statues of any of our great players, but I actually think the statue of Wilson makes perfect sense and I’m really glad the university did it.

What many people are forgetting is that one of the major differences between Chamique/Tamika/Candace and Aja Wilson is that Wilson is actually proudly FROM South Carolina.

Unlike our “bests,” Wilson made the almost mind-blowing (at the time) decision to turn down ALL of the top programs who greatly coveted her in order to stay home and try to get South Carolina out of the perpetual cellar of the SEC.

And she did it — even winning a national championship!!! She’s a hometown hero who took a huge personal risk in betting she’d never regret choosing South Carolina.

So, yeah. South Carolina’s own Aja Wilson (Dawn Staley) put South Carolina Women’s Basketball on the map — MORE than just “on the map” — and that’s something the entire state was proud enough of to give her a statue. I LOVE it!!!
So tell me that you think Pat and Aja are similarly worthy?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
So tell me that you think Pat and Aja are similarly worthy?

Jesus. That’s quite a leap you made there. lol

I’ll be blunt: Why in the hell do you or anyone else care whether South Carolina is so super proud of one of their own who brought so much glory to their state’s biggest university that they gave her a statue?

Why can’t people just be happy that another male sports/football-dominated SEC school actually bothered to recognize the contributions of a FEMALE athlete? Why do you feel so offended by their pride in Aja Wilson?

VN Store

Back