Next season predictions

Any team that brings in a top 4 recruiting class is a final four contender. Will they make it? Who knows, but they should be in the thick of things.

LSU wasn’t getting F4 talk preseason last year
Doesn’t mean they aren’t a contender. I do believe I saw some people saying they could make a run, wouldn’t bet money on it though.
the other 3 were UNC, Duke, Kentucky all teams that I feel we thought could’ve got to a FF, even though they had bad seasons.

Last edited:
Any team that brings in a top 4 recruiting class is a final four contender. Will they make it? Who knows, but they should be in the thick of things.
Missouri had a top 4 recruiting class just a few years ago. Were they expected to make a Final Four run that year or had expectations to be a F4 contender? What about LSU last year? Or Oregon a couple years ago?

The reason you probably think this is because Duke, UNC, and UK almost always have top 4 classes. Outside of those Blue Bloods, though, how many other programs with top 4 or 5 classes the last 5-10 years legitimately had F4 expectations?

Look at the past recruiting rankings: Kentucky, Duke, UNC, all there. Those teams are considered FF contenders almost every year.
Yeah lol and look at the history of those 3 schools and compare it to UT's.

They're almost ALWAYS in the top 4 in recruiting. Of course those are going to be their expectations. UT has NEVER made it to a F4, and UT has had a top 5 class maybe 3 or 4 times in 20 years.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Missouri had a top 4 recruiting class just a few years ago. Were they expected to make a Final Four run that year or had expectations to be a F4 contender? What about LSU last year? Or Oregon a couple years ago?

The reason you probably think this is because Duke, UNC, and UK almost always have top 4 classes. Outside of those Blue Bloods, though, how many other programs with top 4 or 5 classes the last 5-10 years legitimately had F4 expectations?
I’d say Oregon fans along with some media thought they could contend. Again, I’m not saying it’s FF or bust. I’m saying any team in the top 4 of recruiting rankings should be considered contenders.

I’d say Oregon fans along with some media thought they could contend. Again, I’m not saying it’s FF or bust. I’m saying any team in the top 4 of recruiting rankings should be considered contenders.
And I'm saying you're wrong on that last part, but I don't really want to keep arguing this because I'm an old man who needs his sleep lol

Calipari has often been called an underachiever on this board because of what he has done with his top 10 recruiting classes. Yet he made Sw16 or better 8 of his twelve years with his top talent. Are we saying he's a better coach than Barnes or are the Loser Attitudes on the board making preseason excuses in case Barnes lays an egg?

Calipari has often been called an underachiever on this board because of what he has done with his top 10 recruiting classes. Yet he made Sw16 or better 8 of his twelve years with his top talent. Are we saying he's a better coach than Barnes or are the Loser Attitudes on the board making preseason excuses in case Barnes lays an egg?
He's also missed the tournament entirely, twice, with that same recruiting model. That part can't be ignored, and is inexcusable with the kind of talent he's brought aboard each and every year, also leading to the overall perception that he's underachieving to some degree.

That isn't to say that a championship should be the expectation every year, even with the best talent. Winning the NCAAT requires a lot more than just the best talent. You need health, good fortune, development, buy-in, and a bit of luck in that pursuit. To that point, though, with the best talent on paper across 12 seasons, it has to be considered a bit of a disappointment that it has resulted in only a single championship, and not even a single F4 appearance in the past 7 years.

I think we can all universally agree that another 1st rd flameout for next year's team will be disappointing and underachieving. It was last year, too. But I'm not going to say I'll be disappointed if this team fails to make the F4, especially with so many new pieces and having very little idea of how they fit together.

And when we have a stacked roster every year and then consistently add a top 4 class every year you have a point...but we aren't there
I mean, our roster this year was solid. Add in the #4 recruiting class and you’d think we are in the conversation.

And I'm saying you're wrong on that last part, but I don't really want to keep arguing this because I'm an old man who needs his sleep lol
Hell, I was asleep after my last post 😂

I just think we need to raise our expectations. This team shouldn’t be out the first or second week. We should at least be a sweet 16 team.

Hell, I was asleep after my last post 😂

I just think we need to raise our expectations. This team shouldn’t be out the first or second week. We should at least be a sweet 16 team.
Agreed, I never said we should only expect them to make the NCAAT or just win 1 game. Making it to the 2nd weekend is the goal, at minimum for the NCAAT this season IMO.

Reactions: cncchris33
Uhhh...no. To put it another way, since 2014, those three teams combined have for 3 F4s in 21 opportunities. Solid point, otherwise. 🙄
Like I said, it doesn’t guarantee success. I’m saying it means we ( or any top 4-5 recruiting team) should be thought of a contender

We definitely should be considered a FF contender with the return of veterans and a loaded recruiting class. Calipari always had his most success with that one veteran back to go with his prize recruits. That's resulted in virtually all his final fours at Memphis and UK. I'd say in a given year 20-25 teams are legitimate final four contenders. Maybe more. Of course not everyone is going to make it there but that doesn't mean they don't have the capability to do so with the right draw. Usually at least one team no one at all though of as a FF contender makes it.

VN Store

Back