Watched Vols -UK from 1975 today on You Tube

USAFgolferVol

Pre-game is globetrotteresque! Band playing "Sweet Georgia Brown"! One senior, Woods, one junior, Ashworth, two sophs, Grunfeld and Jackson, and freshman Bernard King! Fundamentally, top shelf with no shot clock nor 3 point line. Final score Vols 103 UK 98. UK was loaded and made Final Four 3 weeks later. As a freshman, King was SEC player of the year and first team All-American.

Watch it!

Link?

Edit: never mind. Here it is.

Pre-game is globetrotteresque! Band playing "Sweet Georgia Brown"! One senior, Woods, one junior, Ashworth, two sophs, Grunfeld and Jackson, and freshman Bernard King! Fundamentally, top shelf with no shot clock nor 3 point line. Final score Vols 103 UK 98. UK was loaded and made Final Four 3 weeks later. As a freshman, King was SEC player of the year and first team All-American.

Watch it!
No need for 3-point line or time,clock for that game. That was and still is one of my favorite games I ever saw in Stokley

Watch it!
I wasn’t lucky enough to be at this one...but when I got tickets, I (and lots of others) came very early for the Sweet Georgia Brown pregame warmups—SERIOUS but fun warmups. Discipline was Mears’ middle name. Don’t recall seeing him ever smile during a game.

Watch it!
That game in person & Texas (Kevin Durant) vs Tenn. (Chris Lofton) were my 2 favorite games ever.

We had lost to UK earlier in Memorial Auditorium. UT players were pelted with trash as they left the floor. A lit cigarette landed in Bernard King's hair.
After the game, King calmly said that UK would not beat Tennessee again as long as he was there. Bernard proved to be a man of his words.
I had heard that story, but having it told to me by John Ward over lunch was priceless.

Sweet memories of an amazing game. Isn't that the one where Ernie G. went to the free throw line by "mistake"? Officials never caught it, & Ernie was deadly at the line. Working at Opryland at the time & listened on the radio at my parents' house. :cool:

Sweet memories of an amazing game. Isn't that the one where Ernie G. went to the free throw line by "mistake"? Officials never caught it, & Ernie was deadly at the line. Working at Opryland at the time & listened on the radio at my parents' house. :cool:
That was the next year at Kentucky, the last game UT played at Memorial Coliseum as Rupp opened the following season.

Watch it!

People tend to forget Mike Jackson because of Grunfeld and King, but he was a heck of a shooter and player. From Nashville Stratford if I remember correctly.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back