What we face annually

People think I have a tinfoil hat on when I say it, but I really believe the address of the SEC front office has something to do with it. At the very least, the perception of impropriety can certainly be argued. It makes no sense to be in Birmingham other than geography - maybe. Being in a larger city with a more diverse fanbase at least looks better, if not actually being better.

As it stands now, it is literally right across the street from the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

The SEC league office being in Birmingham didn’t mean much post-Bryant, post-Stallings and pre-Saban. UF split a couple SECCGs played in Birmingham against Bama.

Bama just so happens to have the best CFB coach in modern history.

I’m still waiting for that one poster to tell us specifically what the rest of the SEC is allowing Bama to do in order to succeed, but for some reason they aren’t willing to do for themselves.

Oh snap, that was it!
That was a monster dirty hit. That guy might have gotten 2 games for that. That’s an instance where I wouldn’t have a problem if the player was ejected, but that’s a conversation for a different thread.

We've seen this at Bama previously. There was a day Bear would dress out 120 or so players for home games. If the kid was on your sideline he couldn't beat you. Saban has a lot of that occurring at Bama these days as well.
There is always excuses why we suck. Bad coaches, underperforming players, bad selection of players signed, full moon, etc.

As long as Saban sticks around and is fully invested, it will be more of the same.
Yep. As good as he is with the X’s and O’s I think he may be an even motivator and master manipulator (in a positive way). The guy knows how to push the right buttons to get the most out of his players. His ability to do that and also reinvent his football philosophy are what have allowed him to dominate college football.

Yep. As good as he is with the X’s and O’s I think he may be an even motivator and master manipulator (in a positive way). The guy knows how to push the right buttons to get the most out of his players. His ability to do that and also reinvent his football philosophy are what have allowed him to dominate college football.

I would agree, but I also think it is right place at the right time that plays a major part as well.

I doubt he could replicate this level of dominance at many other places.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
People think I have a tinfoil hat on when I say it, but I really believe the address of the SEC front office has something to do with it. At the very least, the perception of impropriety can certainly be argued. It makes no sense to be in Birmingham other than geography - maybe. Being in a larger city with a more diverse fanbase at least looks better, if not actually being better.

As it stands now, it is literally right across the street from the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
I think that is an optics thing more than anything else. Atlanta does seem like a logical place to have the SEC offices, even if Birmingham might be more centrally located. If you are going to have people flying in to your HQ, Atlanta is definitely the better location.

For a while, I think the "Alabama controls the SEC office" narrative was fed primarily by Steve Shaw (Bama alum) being the director of officials, but he isn't in that position anymore. A quick look at the executive positions shows that it is made up of alums from a variety of schools, and the commissioner himself had no connection to any SEC school at all before taking this job.

Having said that, I do wonder if the fact that the first couple of SECCGs being at Legion Field (instead of the brand new Georgia Dome) could have had something to do with Alabama influence. The Dome opened in September 1992, but the 1992 and 1993 SECCGs were at Legion Field, when Alabama was good and it was widely thought they'd have a chance to play in them at that time. Those were de facto home games for Alabama at that time given they played several actual home games there.

I think that is an optics thing more than anything else. Atlanta does seem like a logical place to have the SEC offices, even if Birmingham might be more centrally located. If you are going to have people flying in to your HQ, Atlanta is definitely the better location.

For a while, I think the "Alabama controls the SEC office" narrative was fed primarily by Steve Shaw (Bama alum) being the director of officials, but he isn't in that position anymore. A quick look at the executive positions shows that it is made up of alums from a variety of schools, and the commissioner himself had no connection to any SEC school at all before taking this job.

Having said that, I do wonder if the fact that the first couple of SECCGs being at Legion Field (instead of the brand new Georgia Dome) could have had something to do with Alabama influence. The Dome opened in September 1992, but the 1992 and 1993 SECCGs were at Legion Field, when Alabama was good and it was widely thought they'd have a chance to play in them at that time. Those were de facto home games for Alabama at that time given they played several actual home games there.

This much is true, and a tinfoil hat is not required...the SECCG being in Birmingham the first two years gave Bama fans a huge advantage in reserving tickets.

Whenever we played them in the Georgia Dome they had us outnumbered at least 2-1.

Last edited:
This much is true, and a tinfoil hat is not required...the SECCG being in Birmingham the first two years allowed Bama fans a huge advantage in reserving tickets.

Whenever we played them in the Georgia Dome they had us outnumbered at least 2-1.
That first SECCG is fascinating. I believe ESPN did a special on it. People were confused, didn't know if the SEC (or any conference) had the power to create such a game.

If y'all beat Alabama and denied them a chance to play for the national title, there's a chance the conference title game idea would have been killed right there, or at the very least nobody would have tried it again for several years.

That first SECCG is fascinating. I believe ESPN did a special on it. People were confused, didn't know if the SEC (or any conference) had the power to create such a game.

If y'all beat Alabama and denied them a chance to play for the national title, there's a chance the conference title game idea would have been killed right there, or at the very least nobody would have tried it again for several years.
That was a heckuva game also.

That 30 for 30 was great. Spurrier’s game plan vs that Bama defense was brilliant. Shane Matthews went to the well one too many times though and that was that.

Seems like the conference CG cost Texas in the mid 90’s too!

I disagree. All it takes is the right formula of coaching and the right group of guys. If you get a truly special QB your team can change almost over night. Joe Burrow is a good example.
Yea.....But LSU was already on the national stage.. It was constantly, "If they only had a QB."

You say that like it bothers us. It doesn’t. We’re one of the most consistent programs in the country. We don’t fall off like Tennessee, Auburn, Nebraska, Texas, and so forth. You can always count on us to win 10 games, be ranked high, and contend. If you told me we could win a title but then fall off a cliff I wouldn’t take it.

We own all of our rivals. Great time to be a Dawg.

May want to give Uncle Lou a yell to take that youtube channel down if you want me to believe that.

Not at all, but if the fanbase takes honest stock of where things stand, it'll breed the patience necessary for Heupel to try and rebuild the program. Pruitt had to go but barring some similar scandal Heupel needs 5-7 years no matter what. We will never get anywhere if the vicious cycle of unreasonable expectations leading to disappointment and a coach on the hot seat by year 3 continues.
Which coach that we've hired was going to be successful if we just gave him more time?

Not at all, but if the fanbase takes honest stock of where things stand, it'll breed the patience necessary for Heupel to try and rebuild the program. Pruitt had to go but barring some similar scandal Heupel needs 5-7 years no matter what. We will never get anywhere if the vicious cycle of unreasonable expectations leading to disappointment and a coach on the hot seat by year 3 continues.
This program stinks because of bad hiring decisions, not bad firing decisions.

Reactions: rjd970
The SEC league office being in Birmingham didn’t mean much post-Bryant, post-Stallings and pre-Saban. UF split a couple SECCGs played in Birmingham against Bama.

Bama just so happens to have the best CFB coach in modern history.

I’m still waiting for that one poster to tell us specifically what the rest of the SEC is allowing Bama to do in order to succeed, but for some reason they aren’t willing to do for themselves.
Open your eyes man and see for yourself.

Saban and Bama’s crooked and cheating shenanigans have killed College and SEC football. And much like all the crap China is doing and nothing will be done to them or punished the same applies to Bama.

VN Store

Back