Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on VQ. Would be interested in the RF thoughts:

Just looking over the roster, who do you think gets drafted off of this team? I'm not going to count any of the freshman class because we haven't seen them (except Salter for reasons mentioned below), but just looking at potential, these are my thoughts:

No brainer
There's only one in this category unfortunately:

Cade Mays. He'll be picked in the first few rounds, probably the second next year.

Highly Likely:

HB/Milton/Salter. One of these three will be drafted off of this team if not more than one. I only say that because Heup's reputation. He will get one of these guys to the league. That's what he does. He develop's QB's.

Velus Jones. I believe that he's going to have a breakout year. Has the speed and measurables, played in a bad offense last year. He's going to put up big numbers in this offense and become a late round pick somewhere.

Jalin Hyatt. Again, elite measurables. Needs to add some size, but has all the speed. This is a kid who will be our number 1 receiver sooner rather than later. He's going to be a star in this offense with his speed and running Heup's system. Will be a pick in the first 3 rounds imo when he's eligible.

Darnell Wright. Kid has the talent, size, and mobility. Word out of camp is that he's having his best spring. 2 years under Elarbee and he will be picked and picked somewhere in rounds 2-4 imo.

Probable:

Tyler Baron. I believe this is another kid that has tons of talent and just needs development and experience. He's very strong, has the work ethic, and is already stepping up as a leader on this team. I expect big things from him over the next couple of years and I predict he ends up being taken in the draft.

Calloway/Holiday. Similar to the QB's above, one of these two, if not both, will end up being really good players here. Again, you can't teach 4.3 speed, and these two guys have it. They will be big players in this offense, if not this year, next year especially. Both have received rave reviews and will make an impact on the field. NFL teams love speed and these two guys have it. I bet one or both are picked up in the draft by the time they're done here.

Beckwith: Again, elite athlete. Whether he's a TE, RB, or receiver, Heup will find a way to get him the ball in space, and he's going to impress. He'll be a very good player here imo and will end up getting taken in the draft.

Bryson Eason. Has the size of a DE but the speed and quickness of a LB. He's going to have a breakout season this year on our DL and he's just a sophomore. 2 more years under Garner and he will be taken in the draft.

Tamarion McDonald. A guy we took a flyer on in order to get Eason. Will be starting at safety this year and has 3 years remaining. Has great ball skills, tackling ability, and instincts. Will be one of those guys that Willy Moe puts in the league if he continues to develop.

Jabari Small. A guy who was probably the best pure RB on our roster last year, but Jermy wouldn't play him. He's going to have a big year this year will have a chance to get drafted by the time he's finished at TN imo.

Spraggins. That dude is going to be a stud. Started some last year even as a freshman. I believe this kid will be a very good player in this league which will lead to him likely getting drafted. I mean, teams took long snappers last week. Spraggins is going to be a very good OG.

(Yes I know a lot of these are projections that's why they're in the probable category).

Needs a big year:

Alontae. Taylor has the speed and tackling ability. But if he wants to get drafted, he's going to have to truly breakout this year. I thought he was going to last year after the first few games when he was playing well, but he began struggling again. Hopefully Banks can get enough out of him that an NFL team takes a chance on him. Likely UDFA.

Princeton Fant. This is one that I asked the guys about in the chat last night. I believe he has a shot. He is a great athlete. Has speed, can run good routes, and has good hands, but has not played in a TE friendly offense and he had a QB who couldn't throw the ball over the middle. Once HB was inserted he became much more of a factor in the offense. Golesh really turned around the TE position at Iowa State when he was there. If he can do the same thing here, Princeton may have a shot with a breakout season. He's one to keep an eye on imo.

Young guys too early to tell:

We'll see what becomes of Big O, Morven Joseph, Roman Harrison, Elijah Simmons, and Cooper Mays,
Great write up!
I think Baron really flashed last year and will go in the 2nd to 4th in 2 years.
I think Small has a break out year and is an all SEC back the next year and gets drafted in the top half of the draft.

You must be too young to have actually watched Jordan play. Jordan was the king of the impossible.

Joey Meyer holds the record for longest verifiable home run ever hit. Doesn’t mean he was a better home run hitter than Bonds.

The 2016 GSW were an all-time great basketball team who got beat in a best of 7 series by Lebron and some scrubs. That team was better than any Jordan faced in the finals and beat. Jordan is the best player of all time.

Two tangentially related items can be true at the same time.

Lol at “new age athletic ability”
💯 Big difference between advances in nutrition, training, and exercise sciences and there being some advance in athletic ability.
Just read a study on the decline of testosterone in the general public because of plastics in food and drink packaging and its leeching into the water supply.

💯 Big difference between advances in nutrition, training, and exercise sciences and there being some advance in athletic ability.
Just read a study on the decline of testosterone in the general public because of plastics in food and drink packaging and its leeching into the water supply.
microchips. had to hard reboot this morning. damn humans.

Y'all getting a little silly with the Lebron would only avg 20 in the 90's talk. Mitch Richmond was averaging 23-24 in those days. Come on. I dislike Lebron and won't argue that absurdness.
That's the only thing that gets me. I'm in the MJ goat camp, but I'm also fully in the LBJ is a very close second camp. But the "he might be top 15" morans are the same group that openly admit they don't even watch the NBA anymore anyway, so their opinions are hardly meaningful and clearly outlandish or pushed by a separate agenda.

Similar to the Brady-Manning debate. Could care less which side a person is on, but at least have the intellectual honesty to admit the other is close behind or that you don't know cabbage.

You do realize, that unlike today's professional sports landscape, those teams actually hated each other. Still do. The Bulls and Pistons teams despised each other and still do. I'm a Bad Boys fan, and don't doubt for a minute that they'd take any chance they can to slight MJ.

One last point - Lebron vs. the Bad Boys, would've been a non-starter regardless of players height/weight stats. With Detroit it was a mindset, they took on all comers regardless of size and put them on their ass! They'd have done the same to Bron Bron.
Was gonna say Laimbeer hates Jordan

Just looking over the roster, who do you think gets drafted off of this team? I'm not going to count any of the freshman class because we haven't seen them (except Salter for reasons mentioned below), but just looking at potential, these are my thoughts:

No brainer

Cade Mays. He'll be picked in the first few rounds, probably the second next year.

Highly Likely:

HB/Milton/Salter. One of these three will be drafted off of this team if not more than one. I only say that because Heup's reputation. He will get one of these guys to the league. That's what he does. He develop's QB's.

Velus Jones. I believe that he's going to have a breakout year. Has the speed and measurables, played in a bad offense last year. He's going to put up big numbers in this offense and become a late round pick somewhere.

Jalin Hyatt. Again, elite measurables. Needs to add some size, but has all the speed. This is a kid who will be our number 1 receiver sooner rather than later. He's going to be a star in this offense with his speed and running Heup's system. Will be a pick in the first 3 rounds imo when he's eligible.

Darnell Wright. Kid has the talent, size, and mobility. Word out of camp is that he's having his best spring. 2 years under Elarbee and he will be picked and picked somewhere in rounds 2-4 imo.

Probable:

Tyler Baron. I believe this is another kid that has tons of talent and just needs development and experience. He's very strong, has the work ethic, and is already stepping up as a leader on this team. I expect big things from him over the next couple of years and I predict he ends up being taken in the draft.

Calloway/Holiday. Similar to the QB's above, one of these two, if not both, will end up being really good players here. Again, you can't teach 4.3 speed, and these two guys have it. They will be big players in this offense, if not this year, next year especially. Both have received rave reviews and will make an impact on the field. NFL teams love speed and these two guys have it. I bet one or both are picked up in the draft by the time they're done here.

Beckwith: Again, elite athlete. Whether he's a TE, RB, or receiver, Heup will find a way to get him the ball in space, and he's going to impress. He'll be a very good player here imo and will end up getting taken in the draft.

Bryson Eason. Has the size of a DE but the speed and quickness of a LB. He's going to have a breakout season this year on our DL and he's just a sophomore. 2 more years under Garner and he will be taken in the draft.

Tamarion McDonald. A guy we took a flyer on in order to get Eason. Will be starting at safety this year and has 3 years remaining. Has great ball skills, tackling ability, and instincts. Will be one of those guys that Willy Moe puts in the league if he continues to develop.

Jabari Small. A guy who was probably the best pure RB on our roster last year, but Jermy wouldn't play him. He's going to have a big year this year will have a chance to get drafted by the time he's finished at TN imo.

Spraggins. That dude is going to be a stud. Started some last year even as a freshman. I believe this kid will be a very good player in this league which will lead to him likely getting drafted. I mean, teams took long snappers last week. Spraggins is going to be a very good OG.

(Yes I know a lot of these are projections that's why they're in the probable category).

Needs a big year:

Alontae. Taylor has the speed and tackling ability. But if he wants to get drafted, he's going to have to truly breakout this year. I thought he was going to last year after the first few games when he was playing well, but he began struggling again. Hopefully Banks can get enough out of him that an NFL team takes a chance on him. Likely UDFA.

Princeton Fant. This is one that I asked the guys about in the chat last night. I believe he has a shot. He is a great athlete. Has speed, can run good routes, and has good hands, but has not played in a TE friendly offense and he had a QB who couldn't throw the ball over the middle. Once HB was inserted he became much more of a factor in the offense. Golesh really turned around the TE position at Iowa State when he was there. If he can do the same thing here, Princeton may have a shot with a breakout season. He's one to keep an eye on imo.

We'll see what becomes of Big O, Morven Joseph, Roman Harrison, Elijah Simmons, and Cooper Mays,

Fant may be the lucking guy in football. Golesh is the best TE coach in football. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted next year; I'd feel very differently under the old regime.

Looks like I'm going to the South Carolina game this year. First time taking my GF to Knoxville! Probably swing by Asheville. Should be pretty nice in October up there. Could be a pretty close game too 😬

Catbone in Asheville! You'll love all the freaks here. They'll fulfill all the Clown World dreams you've ever imagined 😭

You haven't watched an NBA game in probably a decade, and that's ok. Just keep your NBA opinions to yourself when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
I watch and have watched the NBA for over 30 years. I didn't grow up a Bulls fan (I preferred the Supersonic with Peyton and Kemp). But Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Kobe were different than LJ.
I have a ton of respect for LJ. But he would be Karl Malone in the 90s.

No brainer

Highly Likely:

Probable:

Needs a big year:

Good list. Pretty much agree, but might subtract Beckwith and add Campbell. Optimistically might add Tiyon as well.

And sad Wideman isn't anywhere near this discussion. Oof

Good list. Pretty much agree, but might subtract Beckwith and add Campbell. Optimistically might add Tiyon as well.

And sad Wideman isn't anywhere near this discussion. Oof
I purposefully didn’t add any newcomers. We haven’t seen them yet and don’t know how they’ll factor in. If I were, I would’ve had Wright on there also

Reactions: Devo182
To piggyback on the future draft pick estimates...this surprised me a bit, but Cade is getting a LOT of future love:

> CBS Sports has Mays going 16th overall to the Chargers, who just drafted Tennessee wide receiver Josh Palmer.

A former 5-star recruit who transferred from Georgia, Mays can be dominant on the inside.

10343533.jpg
(Photo: Caitie McMekin/Knoxville News Sentinel, USA TODAY Sports)
> Yahoo Sports has Mays going 13th overall to the Cardinals.

“Mays has been a long-time force in the SEC. After starting for two seasons at Georgia, Mays returned home to Tennessee, where he instantly snatched a starting guard spot. Whether or not the Cardinals will actually invest in the OL, who knows, but they could use a guard and Mays’ blend of power and flexibility is enticing. Mays has also spent some amount of time at all five OL spots, so trying to fit him into the lineup should never be an issue.”

> Pro Football Network's early mock projects Mays to the Cowboys at No. 22.

“Connor Williams is set to be a free agent in 2022. Thus, if the Cowboys want to keep the wheels churning on offense, they may have to reinvest in the offensive line. Cade Mays is a high-quality blocker with a massive 6-foot-6, 325-pound frame.”

> The Draft Network has Mays as a top-10 pick, going 10th overall to the Washington Football Team.

“Washington had a great draft in 2021, bringing in players that should have a big impact on its team. Washington could go quarterback, as the long-term answer at that position likely isn’t on the roster, but it also needs to keep an eye on offensive line addition. Cade Mays might be the top overall offensive lineman in the draft when it’s all said and done. A former Georgia Bulldog, this 5-star recruit has 25 games as a starter already under his belt.”

> Fox Sports projects Mays as the No. 23 pick to the Dolphins.

> Sporting News ranks Mays the No. 32 overall player and No. 5 offensive lineman on its 2022 big board and has him going 28th overall to the Browns in its 2022 mock draft.

“The Browns got some tackle depth in James Hudson. They could benefit from getting more versatility and contingency for the interior with Mays.”

> College Football News doesn't have a 2022 mock draft, but ranked Mays No. 11 overall and the No. 1 offensive guard in the 2022 draft class.

“This is a true projection for the former Georgia superstar recruit. Mays was one of the top tackle prospects in the country, showed off his versatility by playing everywhere up front for the Dawgs, transferred to his hometown, and now should be the best guard and possibly the best blocker in college football. The 6-6, 325-pounder has the tools to be special.”

I watch and have watched the NBA for over 30 years. I didn't grow up a Bulls fan (I preferred the Supersonic with Peyton and Kemp). But Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Kobe were different than LJ.
I have a ton of respect for LJ. But he would be Karl Malone in the 90s.
Lol no

Reactions: Ttucke11
Joey Meyer holds the record for longest verifiable home run ever hit. Doesn’t mean he was a better home run hitter than Bonds.

The 2016 GSW were an all-time great basketball team who got beat in a best of 7 series by Lebron and some scrubs. That team was better than any Jordan faced in the finals and beat. Jordan is the best player of all time.

Two tangentially related items can be true at the same time.
The number of regular season wins doesn't equate to the greatest team. Its the playoffs where the runner meets the road. Especially with how teams started resting starters through the back half of the regular season to rest for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back