Propst asserts Kirby and Saban pay players big bucks

THE NCAA WILL BE SO UPSET BY UGA, BAMA, LSU, , That they will THROW THE BOOK AT AND CRUCIFY TENNESSEE AS A WARNING TO THE REST..
And our well intended, but EXTREMELY NAIVE Chancellor Plowman, is bringing up things that some say happen everywhere.
I fear the punishment Tenn gets will be so severe no President or Chancellor will ever self report themselves like this again. Which is exactly why the NCAA and the SEC need her and everyone to shut up..

This all started with Shumaker’s push to make Tennessee Harvard of the south! Academics with no sense of big time sports does this. She is no different.

The NCAA is a shell of an organization. If they attempt to come down on Alabama and/ or Georgia (and/or LSU, etc.) then what is stopping those universities and the SEC from quitting the NCAA. The SEC has enough tied up in television deals and is a much more formidable organization. It can, and arguably should, govern itself.

This is why I’m losing interest in college football slowly as i get older. It clear the bias as not everyone is playing by the same rules. The fact that everyone knows it happens everywhere and it’s only selectively enforced is one thing, and the fact that this selective enforcement has created an enrichment where 2-4 teams are eliminated any parity has really put a damper on my interest.

Reactions: rjd970
If so, that would have been pre-Kirby.

Yeah your right offer would’ve been before Kirby was hired. Fact check this one, but I think Daijuan Edwards was offered before Propst “left” CC so he would’ve been in the middle of that recruitment.

This just underscores the hypocrisy of the so called not for profit NCAA. They know what's going on, we all know what's going on, to some extent, at these larger institutions. But it would be bad for business if it came to light.

YOU GOT IT!!
Really think Chancellor Plowman naively freaked out when other schools consider it biz as usual.
NCAA will BLAST the Vols to make sure no one else brings this stuff to light..

So if these players are getting paid then why in the hell are they screaming about the programs getting rich off of them? If you destroy the programs you are going end up in a farm league riding the bus and practicing on a high school practice field. Never mind the greasy spoon nutritional program. And most likely washing your own sweaty practice uniforms.

Or maybe they are just entitled and privileged.

Or maybe...very few of the complainers are football players but are outside busybodies who are always looking to find new people to slap the victim label in.

Reactions: Smokey X
Nothing will happen with LSU. Emmert was president at LSU and is the one who hired Little Nicky. I wouldn't be surprised if LSU has some dirt on Emmert. Bama is untouchable as long as Emmert is the NCAA president as he and Nick are very good friends. I don't think TN is powerless and now is the time to start using some leverage with this corrupt organization.

How many car dealerships does Saban own? What are the brands that he sells? He is a partner in a group selling Mercedes and Infinity. As a partner in a ownership group, isn't it possible he may have influence with dealerships around Tuscaloosa who will give sweet deals to Saban's players? I can tell you that if I were a highly recruited player with an offer from Alabama, looking at the cars being driven by the players on the team, make me an offer to have a Hellcat Challenger or Charger, a TRX Durango or Ram truck, I would have a hard time turning that down. If the NCAA wanted to investigate the corruption in college athletics, the easy part is finding out how these players are driving these vehicles, how their parents are all of a sudden living a lifestyle they never had before, how are the players and family members dressing to the nines? Sadly, it seems that the cash cow that is college athletics is what the NCAA is more interested in protecting, rather than leveling the playing field.

This all started with Shumaker’s push to make Tennessee Harvard of theas south! Academics with no sense of big time sports does this. She is no different.
Don't kid yourself, Pruitt was so hated that everyone wanted him out. The people involved in bringing Pruitt here to coach should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: Volfan1000
How many car dealerships does Saban own? What are the brands that he sells? He is a partner in a group selling Mercedes and Infinity. As a partner in a ownership group, isn't it possible he may have influence with dealerships around Tuscaloosa who will give sweet deals to Saban's players? I can tell you that if I were a highly recruited player with an offer from Alabama, looking at the cars being driven by the players on the team, make me an offer to have a Hellcat Challenger or Charger, a TRX Durango or Ram truck, I would have a hard time turning that down. If the NCAA wanted to investigate the corruption in college athletics, the easy part is finding out how these players are driving these vehicles, how their parents are all of a sudden living a lifestyle they never had before, how are the players and family members dressing to the nines? Sadly, it seems that the cash cow that is college athletics is what the NCAA is more interested in protecting, rather than leveling the playing field.

College athletes and their parents are required to file voluminous financial statements with the NCAA when they sign their scholarship paperwork. Those statements cover all the items you listed.

However, the NCAA has no subpoena power. And their ability to investigate the accuracy of the filings is extremely limited.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
On taped phone calls played on "Outside the Lines", Propst says Kirby gets and retains players by "taking care of their families" and paying them "$90K-$150K", with the support of the "richest of the rich" UGA boosters from SW GA. Propst went on to say Kirby learned that from Saban. Propst later denied those statements were based in fact. But, as the HC at Hoover and Valdosta, he was in a position to know. Where do you think Pruitt learned what it takes to get and retain top tier players (Gray, Crouch & To'oto'o?)? Did Pruitt tell Propst about Saban's alleged player payments? Because the NCAA does not have the burden of proving the allegations in court, all they have to do is look at the vehicles driven by UGA and Bama players and the lifestyle improvement of their families to validate or discredit Propst's statements.

Former UT assistant Shelton Felton is now the head coach at Valdosta.

UGA is the flagship university in a state that produces over 200 D1 players/year. This doesn't count GA players that go to IMG. They are counted as FL players. A few years ago GA produced 17 D1 QBs. GA has produced the most SEC players for the past 11 years in a row. GA produces more 4 and 5 star players than California with 1/4th the population. GA produced more 1st round draft picks than any state in the nation in 2021.
The bottom line is, UGA doesn't have to buy players.

I heard this from someone, and it makes sense, however I caveat this with "hearsay".
Here is the logic workflow:
  • Nick Saban owns a car dealership.
  • He gives a very sweet deal financing a vehicle to a football player or relative, (low interest/no interest loan, and long maturity date).
Now, is that a violation?

The key is this- If he can prove it wasn't just football players he was making that kind of offer to, then it's considered above board. So he does that to non athletes and it's legit.

On taped phone calls played on "Outside the Lines", Propst says Kirby gets and retains players by "taking care of their families" and paying them "$90K-$150K", with the support of the "richest of the rich" UGA boosters from SW GA. Propst went on to say Kirby learned that from Saban. Propst later denied those statements were based in fact. But, as the HC at Hoover and Valdosta, he was in a position to know. Where do you think Pruitt learned what it takes to get and retain top tier players (Gray, Crouch & To'oto'o?)? Did Pruitt tell Propst about Saban's alleged player payments? Because the NCAA does not have the burden of proving the allegations in court, all they have to do is look at the vehicles driven by UGA and Bama players and the lifestyle improvement of their families to validate or discredit Propst's statements.

He was attempting to get a slush fund established for himself at the time of the recording. He has since signed legal affidavits with both schools legal teams lest he be sued for libel. Propst is not the most credible human in the world.

I heard this from someone, and it makes sense, however I caveat this with "hearsay".
Here is the logic workflow:
  • Nick Saban owns a car dealership.
  • He gives a very sweet deal financing a vehicle to a football player or relative, (low interest/no interest loan, and long maturity date).
Now, is that a violation?

The key is this- If he can prove it wasn't just football players he was making that kind of offer to, then it's considered above board. So he does that to non athletes and it's legit.

It would be a violation. Coaches cannot lend money to players or their families. This would apply to businesses owned by coaches.

Just a thought but Bama puts a bunch of kids in the league every year and if I was a decent player wouldn't it be a wise move to play for Bama? You wouldn't have to pay me squat for college ball if I'm looking a multi millions when I get to the league and the best chance to get there is to play for Bama.

It might be a good idea to slow the roll on ‘how can these players have nice cars?’. Scholarship athletes have been given stipends for the last 6 years. It’s usually around $400/month, but UT’s a few years back was over $600. That stipend makes a car payment much more reasonable.

Just a thought but Bama puts a bunch of kids in the league every year and if I was a decent player wouldn't it be a wise move to play for Bama? You wouldn't have to pay me squat for college ball if I'm looking a multi millions when I get to the league and the best chance to get there is to play for Bama.

This 100%. Look how many players from UGA/BAMA put into the league in this draft alone. 19 between both schools, not counting UDFA. So, if your an elite recruit, what has UT done (recently) to attract these kids? Cade Mays is the ULTIMATE VOL. He came home and it will probably cost HIM millions.

Reactions: Tnslim1
This 100%. Look how many players from UGA/BAMA put into the league in this draft alone. 19 between both schools, not counting UDFA. So, if your an elite recruit, what has UT done (recently) to attract these kids? Cade Mays is the ULTIMATE VOL. He came home and it will probably cost HIM millions.
Not when he is projected to be a first rounder in the next draft.

Reactions: Volatility
I assume Danny White is all in now, he has no choice, but sounds kind of funny given CJH was his 5th-ish choice. In any event, hard to argue with CJH's delivery and communication thus far, along with tossing the nugget all over the place. Go vols.

remember why CJH was White's 5th-ish choice! White says he was torn ethically as not being to take his coach with him! I believe him. But the way it played out, CJH was the best on the board who had enough balls and would take the job! Just look at the spring game performance. Tennessee has NEVER had that kind of offence! NEVER -and I've been watching it for about 70 years! It wasn't that long ago that he

I live in AL and, not sympathetic to AL at all, but I really do not believe Saban cheats, he doesn't have to. He can legit get all the 5* players he wants just on his and AL's FB reputation. He does own 2-3 car dealerships but the coach doesn't have to own a dealership for loan deals to be made to players/families. Many boosters own them and can do that. Happens just about at all schools. Don't know how legal it is but the NCAA seems to look the other way. Happens at UT also.

I live in AL and, not sympathetic to AL at all, but I really do not believe Saban cheats, he doesn't have to. He can legit get all the 5* players he wants just on his and AL's FB reputation. He does own 2-3 car dealerships but the coach doesn't have to own a dealership for loan deals to be made to players/families. Many boosters own them and can do that. Happens just about at all schools. Don't know how legal it is but the NCAA seems to look the other way. Happens at UT also.

He cheats, they all cheat.

VN Store

Back