Kim Mulkey leaving Baylor, Announced as Head Coach for LSU

Depends. If they'd spent the better part of the last decade with their program in obvious decline while suffering repeated embarrassing loses, team dissention, fan unrest, dwindling attendance and a trail of elite recruits with disappointing careers, then yes, I think their class would be outside the top 10.

Surely you're not suggesting Geno getting fired tomorrow would leave anything resembling the dumpster fire Kellie inherited.

I don't believe the LV legacy holds anywhere near the sway for modern recruits us old timers like to think it does.
I don't think you go from signing #1 classes to completely forgot in one year. Name any blueblood that has ever happened to. It's normally a little more gradual. Had Holly slacked off on the trail I would agree with you. But that wasn't the case. Holly didn't win to our standards but she also didn't completely run a program to the ground. Like what has happened to our football program.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and lfvol
lol yeah there is nothing attractive about Connecticut

There is if you have the coin to live in Greenwich or some of the other upscale towns near the NY border.

Storrs is miserable, but even then, it's only about 90 minutes away from Boston...so it's not totally isolated.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It wouldn't even surprise me if she makes less than what she was making at Baylor this shows me she is just happy to be back home. Probably having a crawfish broil this weekend haha
I think I read that she's making about 500-600k more. She got a nice raise out of it.

Reactions: mcannon1
Maybe so, but these hires are the most encouraging results in some time. It seems to show she recognizes that recruiting has to step up a level or two. I’m impressed by the moves.
I'd be more impressed with a point guard, say Jordan Lewis. But lacking that, I'm happy with the new coaches.

Speaking of Jordan Lewis, so what of her. Stay aboard the sinking ship in Waco, or go with the flow to Baton Rouge. Kayla Pointer says wait a dang minute! Either want to split time at PG?

I'd be more impressed with a point guard, say Jordan Lewis. But lacking that, I'm happy with the new coaches.

Speaking of Jordan Lewis, so what of her. Stay aboard the sinking ship in Waco, or go with the flow to Baton Rouge. Kayla Pointer says wait a dang minute! Either want to split time at PG?

Guess it all depends on who stays at Baylor. They have a loaded team. My gut tells me that LA Girl Cara Ursin follows Kim to Baton Rouge. Maybe NaLyssa also. If the rest of the team stays put, they will still be pretty damn good...maybe enough incentive for Jordan to stick around.

It's normally a little more gradual. Had Holly slacked off on the trail I would agree with you. But that wasn't the case. Holly didn't win to our standards but she also didn't completely run a program to the ground.
I concede the point that for reasons I could never understand, Holly got elite recruist right up until the end. But she also most definitely ran the program nose first into the ground, right to the lower echelons of the SEC. And she most definitely presided over many, many disappointing careers, which made it so nonsensical that any elite recruit would continue to come here and risk being ruined like so many others.

The whole mess, IMO, definitely ended up hurting Kellie in recruiting. We're just too far out from any meaningful post season play. IMO that's what kids look for.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Did they? Because Holly still got 3 AAs (Massengill, Zaay, Collins) and commitment from #2 Horston in her final year as a coach. I don't think she was slowing down with recruiting at all.

So, HW continued to get top recruits at hte end of her tenure though the program had not been to a FF in her entire 7 years, and had not been to a SS in 3 years. Doesn't that fact put the lie to the notion that some on this board proclaim: That Kellie's failure to reach the SS this past tournament would automatically be devastating to her future recruiting?

I concede the point that for reasons I could never understand, Holly got elite recruist right up until the end. But she also most definitely ran the program nose first into the ground, right to the lower echelons of the SEC. And she most definitely presided over many, many disappointing careers, which made it so nonsensical that any elite recruit would continue to come here and risk being ruined like so many others.

The whole mess, IMO, definitely ended up hurting Kellie in recruiting. We're just too far out from any meaningful post season play. IMO that's what kids look for.
The funny thing is that Holly won the Rookie Coach of the Year. In retrospect, she had 3 solid seasons: 2 Elite 8s, 1 S16 and top 2 in the SEC. It wasn't until year #4 that the wheels came off. She ran the program into the ground, but it was a gradual descent...not like the impressive job Nikki McCray did over at MSST.

Reactions: volfan__18
maybe enough incentive for Jordan to stick around.
Probably depends alot on who the new Baylor coach is, and on whether Kayla Pointer sticks around for Kim at LSU.

This is all so twisted yet interesting. Did Kayla know Aunt Nikki was leaving when she came back? Did Jordan know Kim was leaving when she chose Baylor? What a whacky year.

So, HW continued to get top recruits at hte end of her tenure though the program had not been to a FF in her entire 7 years, and had not been to a SS in 3 years. Doesn't that fact put the lie to the notion that some on this board proclaim: That Kellie's failure to reach the SS this past tournament would automatically be devastating to her future recruiting?
I don't think that's the case at all. BUT...Kellie has yet to prove that she can recruit at a high level to begin with; Holly could...in spite of her mixed results. And objectively speaking, Holly's first 3 years as HC have been better than Kellie's start. The problem is that years 4-7 plunged the program to new lows that Kellie reversing the death spiral is a relief...even if she hasn't yet brought it up to where Holly had things during her 3rd year.

]
Doesn't that fact put the lie to the notion that some on this board proclaim: That Kellie's failure to reach the SS this past tournament would automatically be devastating to her future recruiting?
"Devastating to future recruiting" would be the fan board drama queen hyperbole version. In truth, it was a very big missed opportunity to take a step forward that could have really helped recruiting. A lost chance for the rebuild to make notably forward progress.

The Lady Vols are still a perennial blueblood. The first blueblood of womens basketball. 9th which is really generous doesn't cut it. I'd put the class more around just outside the top 10. I get the relationships thing and that women's bb is way more competitive than it used to be. But the brand itself with any decent coach should be able to walk in and sign a class in the 7 to 8 range their first class. This second class definitely. Just ask yourself if Uconn, Stanford or Notre Dame fired their coach tomm. Next year do you think their class would be outside the top 10? I'm not saying she can't turn it around by winning and then start getting the big recruits. Barnes did it so it is possible. But it's a red flag that she isn't doing better than she is on the recruiting trail to date, giving the fact she has everything at her disposal. Fan base, financial backing, rich tradition, facilities. There isn't 10 other programs that can offer half that.

You’ve just said Coach Kellie is not a decent Coach because you wanted a higher ranked recruiting class. You say, ”if UConn, Stanford or Notre Dame fired their coach tomm. Next year do you think their class would be outside the top 10?” You act like Kellie took the reins of Coaching the Lady Vols directly from Pat herself. She did not, there have been 7 years of Holly Warlick in between, and they have hurt.

Yes, Tennessee is the blueblood of women’s basketball, with great tradition, facilities, etc., but other teams took the spotlight from our team during the slide from greatness while Holly was Coach. No one knows where we should be more than Coach Kellie Harper. Afterall, Kellie was there for 3 of the 8 National Championships under the great Pat.

You can’t ignore how far we fell under Holly, but you can back probably the one most determined to bring the Tennessee Lady Vols into greatness again, Coach Kellie Harper.

Last edited:
Holly's first 3 years as HC have been better than Kellie's start.
Yeah but look where Holly's first three years started from compared to poor Kellie having to claw out of the jaws of hell. Even though the LVs hadn't been to a FF in a minute when Holly took over, the program was in MUCH better shape than when Kellie started. Plus Holly was playing with Pat's players. Not really a fair comparison.

If I was a big time recruit and was picking an elite program on the basis everything other than the head coach.......Stanford 100%.

The next two years will tell the future,,,she now has had time to hand pick her staff with thought and consideration,,,she pretty much had to fill those roles with bodies in the way in which she was hired,,,,NOW, this is her thought out choices.

SHe's had a year to acclimate to the SEC and some very good athletes to work with.

Now we, (well, I, anyway) find out how good she is, this series of events,,,full staff of her choosing, great athletes and some vg incoming talent and a year of experience,,,,

rubber, meet road
and my bet, is on the tire I call,,Coach K!

Last edited:
Yeah but look where Holly's first three years started from compared to poor Kellie having to claw out of the jaws of hell. Even though the LVs hadn't been to a FF in a minute when Holly took over, the program was in MUCH better shape than when Kellie started. Plus Holly was playing with Pat's players. Not really a fair comparison.
Well...yeah. I said just that in my following paragraph. Was just pointing out that while Holly did torpedo the program, it took her 4 years to do that. Looking back, her first three years were actually quite good.

I don't think that's the case at all. BUT...Kellie has yet to prove that she can recruit at a high level to begin with; Holly could...in spite of her mixed results. And objectively speaking, Holly's first 3 years as HC have been better than Kellie's start. The problem is that years 4-7 plunged the program to new lows that Kellie reversing the death spiral is a relief...even if she hasn't yet brought it up to where Holly had things during her 3rd year.

How many of today's elite coaches had better than a top 15 class in their second years at their current posts? Is it a realistic ask, given what she walked in on?

Reactions: mudcat1973
The next two years will tell the future,,,she now has had time to hand pick her staff with thought and consideration,,,she pretty much had to fill those roles with bodies in the way in which she was hired,,,,NOW, this is her thought out choices.

SHe's had a year to acclimate to the SEC and some very good athletes to work with.

Now we, (well, I, anyway) find out how good she is, this series of events,,,full staff of her choosing, great athletes and some vg incoming talent and a year of experience,,,,

rubber, meet road
and my bet, is on the tire I call,,Coach K!

Coach, FYI, when I clicked on your post to reply, it showed your final line on my slate. But that last line is not visible on your post. At least not on my screen. Something funky happening here.

How many of today's elite coaches had better than a top 15 class in their second years at their current posts? Is it a realistic ask, given what she walked in on?
Off the top of my head, Vic Schaefer and Courtney Banghart, although their programs were not in as bad shape as Holly left Tennessee. I attribute Vic's success to the fact that he's regarded as one of the elite coaches in the game, and there were recruits that likely really wanted to play for him whether in Starkville or Austin.

Notre Dame was a mess when Niele Ivey took over, but she got a nice recruiting class with two AAs in the class of '21.

A good reference will be how Kara Lawson and Shea Ralph do with their '22 and '23 recruits, as they are in similar situations as Kellie. I guess we can throw Kim Mulkey in there too.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The Lady Vols are still a perennial blueblood. The first blueblood of womens basketball. 9th which is really generous doesn't cut it. I'd put the class more around just outside the top 10. I get the relationships thing and that women's bb is way more competitive than it used to be. But the brand itself with any decent coach should be able to walk in and sign a class in the 7 to 8 range their first class. This second class definitely. Just ask yourself if Uconn, Stanford or Notre Dame fired their coach tomm. Next year do you think their class would be outside the top 10? I'm not saying she can't turn it around by winning and then start getting the big recruits. Barnes did it so it is possible. But it's a red flag that she isn't doing better than she is on the recruiting trail to date, giving the fact she has everything at her disposal. Fan base, financial backing, rich tradition, facilities. There isn't 10 other programs that can offer half that.

Any decent coach 7 or 8 class ? Let’s see....🤔

UConn has #1,5,15,30
SC. Has #2,3,4,14
Texas. Has #6,10,
N.D. Has #8, 16,
Stan. Has #11, 18
Five teams have the top 20 players pretty much gone but you want a top 7 or 8 ranked with whoever is left ? Good luck with that ?

UConn # 3, 5,
Or. St. #4, 10,
Stanford #1

That leaves five top ten players left that are not committed! There’s three final four teams with no top ten players as of yet so .... It’s going to be hard for them to become decent coaches unless they don’t get some recruits soon ! Just Saying 😈

I cannot see BU after 10+ seasons mostly in the Top 5 or Top 10 replacing Mulkey with anything other than a big name. If you look at the AP rankings at season's end, there might be 5 big name or name coaches that would take some of the sting, not all of the sting out of losing Mulkey. The 5 I think BU takes their big piggy bank and has a talk with, even if long shot, would be 1.] Frese at MD (1 NC and took a motley crew this past season to a dangerous EE team, passionate coach, has jumped ship 2x, wants more $$); 2.) Moore at NCST (BU WCBB is upgrade over long flagging NCST that he revived after they fired their coach, don't know his home state, etc.); 3) Walz at L'ville (long shot many reasons, but he wins, he recruits, he's high profile); 4) Barnes at AZ (recent high profile as team went to Finals, but it was her alma mater, but BU could say they talked to diversified candidates, including younger coaches); and, 5.) Mitchell at UK (yes, he's got baggage and health questions, but big name off-and-on, track record not overly impressive, but stealing from CBB blue blood unit., he's passionate, he's shown recruiting credibility). Others might say D'Arico at UM, but her track record and profile just not what BU needs or wants. Can't see BU hiring a top assistant after Mulkey's 21 years.

Off the top of my head, Vic Schaefer and Courtney Banghart, although their programs were not in as bad shape as Holly left Tennessee. I attribute Vic's success to the fact that he's regarded as one of the elite coaches in the game, and there were recruits that likely really wanted to play for him whether in Starkville or Austin.

Notre Dame was a mess when Niele Ivey took over, but she got a nice recruiting class with two AAs in the class of '21.

A good reference will be how Kara Lawson and Shea Ralph do with their '22 and '23 recruits, as they are in similar situations as Kellie. I guess we can throw Kim Mulkey in there too.

Thanks for that. The future will be berry interesting.

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back