The most heartbreaking Tennessee Football loss according to you?

Mine: 2000 Florida @ Tennessee. The Jabar Gaffney no catch.

That was a brutal loss and that was a terrible call but it was only second down and UF was down 3. Maybe we stop them on 3rd down and force a FG and win in OT (or block the FG). In hindsight the worst part was the previous drive we had a 3rd and 1 past midfield and we couldn't pick it up. We get that first down, we most likely win because UF probably doesn't get the ball back. We outplayed and outrushed UF that day and did just enough to lose.

Do we HAVE to do this thread every 3 months? (VolNation Law)

No question, I have to go with the 2001 SECCG. Probably CPF best team. NC game on the line. QB and RB out.

1990 (I think) loss to Bama. We go from a chance to win it to losing it in the last play or 2. It was the suddenness of the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that made it so damning. Still drives me crazy.

I wasn't all that old then but I still remember Alabama's QB Gary Hollingsworth would do a fake handoff and go around the end and dude looked like he ran about a 6.0 40 and he'd still get like 7 yards.

Mine will always be the 2001 SECCG against LSU. Colorado had just crushed Nebraska in the Big XII championship game opening the way for us to play in the BCS National Championship against Miami if we had won. We may have gotten smashed, or we may have pulled off the upset. That has still been the high-water mark of my fandom.

I was only 9 when we won the natty against FSU and didn’t even like football at that time, though I do remember watching it with my family. The next year the Titans lost in Super Bowl 34, and that’s when I started caring about sports. Sad that, to this day, neither team has achieved the same height of glory in all that time. Maybe it’s me, guys. I’m bad luck.

2001 Seccg without a doubt. I went from a diehard fan to just a fan because of that loss
First of all, how the hell can one loss (Actually, any loss for that matter), in a conference championship game no less, downgrade your level of support for your team?...And second, had Tennessee gone to the National Championship that season, they would've been absolutely mauled by Miami, so it's a moot point.

That freaking georgia state embarrassment may not be the most heartbreaking, but it broke my heart because I knew we were in a hopeless situation and I felt like we had simply been spinning our wheels for 12 years.

I’m with you there. It just epitomized how far we had fallen.

15 Florida still haunts my dreams to this day.

15 Florida. Then all Florida losses in no particular order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence Wright
I don’t remember who it was but it was Alabama Tennessee going into win only to fumble inside the 5 game ends 9-6.
Didn’t the UT FG kicker come up a couple yards short on a 40 something yard FG try that would of tied the game. I thought “hell” what college team has a kicker that his short on a FG less than 50 yards. I was stunned at the time.

The 1986 25-21 loss to 5-6 Army and the 1986 14-13 loss to 5-5-1 Georgia Tech where Carlos Reveiz missed 5 field goals was bad also.
Yep on Army...IIRC a incomplete pass in the end zone there at the end that would have won it. Sat in my seat in Neyland and just shook my head. Guy next to me thought he had caught it and when it was incomplete he slapped the back of the guy sitting in front of him and that dude went flying down about 4 rows....Best excitement of the day!

Reactions: Border Vol
Yep on Army...IIRC a incomplete pass in the end zone there at the end that would have won it. Sat in my seat in Neyland and just shook my head. Guy next to me thought he had caught it and when it was incomplete he slapped the back of the guy sitting in front of him and that dude went flying down about 4 rows....Best excitement of the day!
The 1986 Tennessee Vols should have been 9-2 in the regular season and not 6-5.:rolleyes:

VN Store

Back