KaTron Evans released from NLI

Not complaining since I don't know the strategy involved... but are other programs cutting guys loose like this because of a coaching change? Are these mutual agreements or just the idea that they won't hold a kid if the kid doesn't want to come?

I seem to remember UT specifically NOT allowing guys to get out of their LOI when Kiffin left.

Reactions: Border Vol
Not complaining since I don't know the strategy involved... but are other programs cutting guys loose like this because of a coaching change? Are these mutual agreements or just the idea that they won't hold a kid if the kid doesn't want to come?

I seem to remember UT specifically NOT allowing guys to get out of their LOI when Kiffin left.

Usually, a new head coach wants as many people gone from a team as possible who don’t want to be there, particularly in a situation Tennessee is currently in.

Tennessee is going to lose short term anyway (I know you don’t want to hear that), so you don’t want anyone around who may potentially cause problems for those who are truly invested in the program.

In addition, it frees up scholarships for guys you want as opposed to having to coddle guys that you didn’t bring to the school in the first place.

Heupel knows he has a grace period and you generally want to get all of this crap over and done with in year 1 so you can make great strides in year 2.

None of these guys who left Tennessee this far are program changers.

No loyalty, it is all about the coaches and the NCAA breathing down UT's neck doesn't help........Thanks, Pruitt

I think this is a conspiracy, JP came here to get even with UT over the Fulmer issue.

Go Vols
I think Tennessee was the only school in FBS that would offer Cornbread a football head coaching job

We’ll realize in time how much fulmer $hit the bed by swooping into the athletic dept to make the Pruitt hire. Probably the single dumbest hire in the history of our athletic dept. and I literally mean “dumbest”. Pruitt is as dumb as they come. Why did fulmer think he was capable of making the hire Amd why was he allowed to do so? Who knows. But we’re in the biggest hole of the last 20 years because of it.

Usually, a new head coach wants as many people gone from a team as possible who don’t want to be there, particularly in a situation Tennessee is currently in.

Tennessee is going to lose short term anyway (I know you don’t want to hear that), so you don’t want anyone around who may potentially cause problems for those who are truly invested in the program.

In addition, it frees up scholarships for guys you want as opposed to having to coddle guys that you didn’t bring to the school in the first place.

Heupel knows he has a grace period and you generally want to get all of this crap over and done with in year 1 so you can make great strides in year 2.

None of these guys who left Tennessee this far are program changers.
No. I have no intention of "hearing" that UT has to accept losing to less talented teams.

I don't expect him to compete with UGA, UF, or Bama. The roster isn't there. I DO expect him to beat Vandy and the three weakest OOC opponents. Then... I expect him to win at least 2 of 5 vs UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Pitt, and USCe. The "right guy" to make the turnaround will NOT be another guy who underperforms his talent. It will be the guy who at least wins at a level approximating the talent of his roster or.... better.

Those aren't unreasonable expectations if he's the "right guy".

Not sure what you mean by a "grace period"... but no. UF hasn't tolerated failing coaches for more than 3 years.... and even that intolerance didn't completely work to prevent a slight talent decline. No matter how "unfair" it may seem or even be... you cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years before he earns credibility on the field. If you think recruiting is tough now... keep a losing coach around.

You are so transparent. You are still looking down your snoot and saying what would NEVER be tolerated at UF... MUST be what UT does.

No. I have no intention of "hearing" that UT has to accept losing to less talented teams.

I don't expect him to compete with UGA, UF, or Bama. The roster isn't there. I DO expect him to beat Vandy and the three weakest OOC opponents. Then... I expect him to win at least 2 of 5 vs UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Pitt, and USCe. The "right guy" to make the turnaround will NOT be another guy who underperforms his talent. It will be the guy who at least wins at a level approximating the talent of his roster or.... better.

Not sure what you mean by a "grace period"... but no. UF hasn't tolerated failing coaches for more than 3 years.... and even that intolerance didn't completely work to prevent a slight talent decline. No matter how "unfair" it may seem or even be... you cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years before he earns credibility on the field. If you think recruiting is tough now... keep a losing coach around.

You are so transparent. You are still looking down your snoot and saying what would NEVER be tolerated at UF... MUST be what UT does.

I didn’t mean to suggest the grace period would last forever.

The problems are about more than just talent.

Heupel will need at least a year to change the culture at Tennessee.

Saban lost to LA-Monroe his first year at Bama.

I don't think he's the right guy to turn them around.....

VN Store

Back