KaTron Evans released from NLI

I didn’t mean to suggest the grace period would last forever.

The problems are about more than just talent.

Heupel will need at least a year to change the culture at Tennessee.

Why is that? Serious question.

When I took my current position I replaced a guy that was widely disliked as a manager. He was often autocratic. He came off as aloof to many employees. He didn't respect the plant... and people sensed it. He kind of made my job easier. The first thing I had to do... is not be him. The culture changed immediately partly because I showed them respect and liked them. I also took care of a couple of long term personnel issues that had poisoned the team.. One year in... we set plant production records.... by a wide margin.

I'm about 2.5 years in now and we're working on fairly fine points. We're elevating the standard for guys who have been "acceptable" but aren't the performers we need.

It really doesn't take that long to "change culture" in big ways. Heupel has already made an impact. Kids are pretty obviously "having fun again". Integrity and unity seem to be the two pillars of the coaching staff.

If you've ever worked for a liar and then seen them replaced with someone with integrity... and watched the change around you then you understand what I'm getting at.

Saban lost to LA-Monroe his first year at Bama.

I don't think he's the right guy to turn them around.....
Saban had already won a National Championship. His credibility with recruits was NOT destroyed in spite of a very bad loss. Do you really think Heupel has that kind of credibility coming in?

Saban had already won a National Championship. His credibility with recruits was NOT destroyed in spite of a very bad loss. Do you really think Heupel has that kind of credibility coming in?
No, but it is not realistic to say there's no grace period for an incoming coach inheriting a program with 20+ in the portal, facing sanctions, etc.

Expecting him to win "all the games he should" when Pruitt left the team so toxic 1/3 of the players left is just setting him up to be "not the guy."

General Neyland, Urban Meyer, and Knute Rockne all coaching together couldn't fix this in the first season.

Wasn't this recruit class once ranked number 1?

It's now #22.
The only reason it was ever #1 was because we had like 10 more commitments than everyone else around this time last year. We were always going to get passed by the usual suspects who filled up with higher rated players. We had a chance to finish # 8-10, then the season happened though. The best thing for us in retrospect would have been for COVID to scuttle the whole season. If we had never had to play any games Beldar could have probably kept the momentum of McDonald's wind in our sails going. That would likely have just been delaying the inevitable though because that slack jawed Gump would have blown it all up eventually anyway.

Heard today that Pruitt told the Adminstration that if they fired him, he would try to get as many players to leave as possible. Looks like he at least once lived up to his word. We have got to STOP hiring scumbags.
That's the same thing Lame Kiffin did

Why is that? Serious question.

When I took my current position I replaced a guy that was widely disliked as a manager. He was often autocratic. He came off as aloof to many employees. He didn't respect the plant... and people sensed it. He kind of made my job easier. The first thing I had to do... is not be him. The culture changed immediately partly because I showed them respect and liked them. I also took care of a couple of long term personnel issues that had poisoned the team.. One year in... we set plant production records.... by a wide margin.

I'm about 2.5 years in now and we're working on fairly fine points. We're elevating the standard for guys who have been "acceptable" but aren't the performers we need.

It really doesn't take that long to "change culture" in big ways. Heupel has already made an impact. Kids are pretty obviously "having fun again". Integrity and unity seem to be the two pillars of the coaching staff.

If you've ever worked for a liar and then seen them replaced with someone with integrity... and watched the change around you then you understand what I'm getting at.

I don't have the answers as to why. I will give you a few guesses later. But, I'm just going by what I have observed.

And the exceptions to the rule are situations like Steve Spurrier at Florida. Why? Because he was playing the game completely differently and that overcame a lot of issues. However, as good as he was, Florida ran into two teams that were way more talented that they had to play on the road. And they got their rear end served to them on a platter both times. The other examples are people who took over good situations. Urban Meyer at Ohio State, Tom Osborne at Nebraska, Barry Switzer at Oklahoma as an example. Another exception is General Neyland himself, but I confess I don't know what was happening in 1926.

But, Nick Saban went 6-6 in his first year at Alabama. Dabo went 9-5. Bobby Bowden 5-6. Bear Bryant 1-9 at A&M, 5-4-1 at Alabama. Pete Carroll 6-6. Woody Hayes 4-3-2. Joe Paterno 5-5. Eddie Robinson 6-6, Bob Stoops 7-5. I could go on. But, take note, I'm giving you names of icons here. These are the best of the best of the best.

But, one difference between your plant and the Tennessee football team is your success is measured against yourselves. Your plant may be a whole lot better than what it was, but may be terrible compared to other similar plants (I don't know, just posing that as an example to make a point). So, I'll use Kentucky as an example. IMO, Kentucky is as consistently competitive from year to year as I've seen during my lifetime. They're pretty good. Guess where it doesn't show up? The win-loss record. They've only had two seasons in the last 8 years where they finished more than one game above .500. So,, even though they're better, it hasn't mattered. They still aren't winning.

So, you can begin to change culture, begin to make progress, begin heading in the right direction, and still experience the unfortunate problem of losing.

Most people believe that Sam Pittman and Eliah Drinkwitz did pretty good jobs last year. They were 3-7 and 5-5 respectively.

That's the best I can answer. But, it usually takes at least a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DixieVol
He is definitely a very talented kid and has the size and skills to be a dominate DL...hate that he never really came on board...

Reactions: BreatheUT
No. I have no intention of "hearing" that UT has to accept losing to less talented teams.

I don't expect him to compete with UGA, UF, or Bama. The roster isn't there. I DO expect him to beat Vandy and the three weakest OOC opponents. Then... I expect him to win at least 2 of 5 vs UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Pitt, and USCe. The "right guy" to make the turnaround will NOT be another guy who underperforms his talent. It will be the guy who at least wins at a level approximating the talent of his roster or.... better.

Those aren't unreasonable expectations if he's the "right guy".

Not sure what you mean by a "grace period"... but no. UF hasn't tolerated failing coaches for more than 3 years.... and even that intolerance didn't completely work to prevent a slight talent decline. No matter how "unfair" it may seem or even be... you cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years before he earns credibility on the field. If you think recruiting is tough now... keep a losing coach around.

You are so transparent. You are still looking down your snoot and saying what would NEVER be tolerated at UF... MUST be what UT does.

Your “standards” are completely arbitrary. Did you blindly throw a few fingers in the air and then proclaim that as how many games UT “should” win next season?

I don’t think anyone has any clue whatsoever as to what we have on this team. I think the reasonable thing to do is wait and watch them play.

This team had more deficiencies than one could count last season...followed by incredible attrition. And the most important position on the field, QB, rarely performed at even a competent level. However, the schedule isn’t over-the-top and six wins could be gettable...with the emphasis on “could.” But, to get there, we will need to be pleasantly surprised by many position groups for the first time in a very long time, and it will have to start at QB.

The main thing I want to see this season is a group of players that act excited to play...and that actually execute on a college level. We saw none of that last season.

Reactions: VolNExile
Wonder why he wanted to leave?

This is all very strange.
The most likely answer is that promises were made by Pruitt and Co that Heupel isn't going to fulfill.

The scary answer is: he was a teammate of Aaron Willis and maybe he knows something we don't about Willis' future with the Vols.

I'm hoping for the more likely answer.

Of course recruiting classes don't mean much now as every player can be re-recruited every year now. What a mess. In any case, this jabroni interests me as much as every other non-UT player or the NFL. Zero.

VN Store

Back