Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean that's fine. Personally, I think the odds that Pruitt happened to recruit the exact wrong 50 players that were highly rated and highly sought after is kind of crazy.

One dud in Pruitt is more likely than 50 independent duds in the players he got.

Heupel is going to get at least four years regardless, so if that lets you believe he could still be the guy for a little longer after getting out coached this season, by all means.

I'm just saying. The cycle repeats itself. Instead of using the same excuses we used for the last two guys we could just say it how it is.

From where you sit on your high horse, has it ever occurred to you by and large people don’t want to coach at Tennessee?

I’m not really sure where turning on a coach in year 1 really get us as a program.

Super coach ain’t waiting by his phone, just waiting for someone to call about that Tennessee job...

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Josh Palmer and Trey Smith aren’t easy replacements. The rest are replaceable...and some of those replacements will be an upgrade, imo...QB, RB, C, OLB, ILB..
It's not hard to replace a receiver that got minimal touches last year no matter how good he was. Without consistent QB play doesn't matter what kind of freak athlete is at receiver his impact will be minimal.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I'm pessimistic about his chances of long-term success, but I do genuinely like Josh Heupel and in talking with my couple of contacts on campus, they all really like him too.

I *like* the coaching and recruiting staff he has put together, the latter being comprised of Tennessee people who want nothing more than to see this place succeed. I just don't like the results they've earned to this point - but it's still very early.

I think we're looking at two very bad seasons - and I don't think that has much to do with Josh Heupel. My first real test for him and the new staff will be the recruiting classes the next two seasons.

Pretty much where I am. If we are going to lose 6+ ballgames this fall, I’m hopeful they are at least entertaining!

Reactions: Smokey19rt
But that’s not taking into account talent rankings...only who Pruitt played.

Hmm. I’d approach recruiting rankings for guys on campus with a grain of salt.

I recall convincing myself Butch Jones inherited a roster with untapped talent - the average recruiting stars far exceed those of Oregon, I recall believing! I also recall being sick to my stomach watching Oregon go up 59-7 in the second half, wondering why our players looked like they were running with lead shoes. Never saw than Vandy loss coming, etc etc

Over the eight years since 2013, I’ve gotten to where I have zero emotions about blowout losses, and I’ve learned not to assume a 3-7 team is loaded with hidden talent....

I am doubtful that this mess is even rebuildable. The program is toxic from the boosters down.

At the very least, hopefully Danny White can assert some dominance with Plowman and Boyd strongly in his corner. We need a coherent vision without a ton of voices chiming in so much. If that means we lose some booster money in the short-term, so be it.

Thing is I feel like the roster and the staff is upgraded this year from last year. One reason is having a legit spring camp, another reason is having an offensive staff that has spent years together already.

We won 3 games in the all SEC schedule, should have beaten Arkansas and Auburn as well. Now you get 4 ooc games with the 3 SEC teams you beat still on the schedule. South Carolina hasn't improved in anyway from last year, Vanderbilt hasn't either. BOTH just hired guys with zero Head Coaching experience.

Missouri...who knows, I still feel like it's fool's gold. LSU was really the only quality win of their 5 imo and that was with LSU in a major rebuild. They beat Kentucky, but Kentucky was a bad team so one dimensional they managed to throw for less than 125 yards a game last season.

While Trey is definitely a special individual talent, I think our OL as a whole will likely be better going forward. That group got no development under the last staff. Wanya being the greatest example. Palmer will also be an easy replacement due to the much better offensive coaching and offense scheme. HT and Bryce are the toughest replacements. Especially since the guy prime to replace Bryce - Key - also bailed. Key was really the only guy I was upset to lose.

We had Will Friend and Jim Chaney coaching the OL. Maybe they didn't do that good of a job or maybe some of the guys we had on the OL last year weren't all that coachable, which is my theory. I think Pruitt may have Butch Jonesed some of the guys on our team, made promises to them that had nothing to do with their development or what they earned/deserved. jmo.

A number of times I’ve come back to thinking about one of the things the remaining team members reportedly asked for when White was first beginning the coaching search. The team wanted a coach that would bring accountability to the team.

I agree with the expectation that our OL could be better this year and I think it starts with having better leadership and commitment in the room. jmo.

I gotta trust Rodney Garner’s ability to recruit some kids from HS and hit the transfer portal hard. 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference on the DL.

Evans wasn’t going to play this year anyway.
He was as solid as anybody we had in that class. This is sobering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back