'22 TN ATH/RB Dallan Hayden (Ohio State commit)

No. They like CJH a lot. But it isn’t about his dad. Anymore than it wasn’t about Kevin Mays. This guy Just likes Ohio St more than Tennessee.

We are not going to have problems attracting offensive talent once we take the field. But the blue chip players are this close to committing...and we are the middle of a super long dead period and NCAA sanctions.
Why would sanctions matter at UT? They do not matter at other schools. Clemson, Bama, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio State have all had major scandals and look where they are at now.

I think our fan base has some kind of inferiority complex. It is like we are trying to talk players out of coming here sometimes.

Why would sanctions matter at UT? They do not matter at other schools. Clemson, Bama, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio State have all had major scandals and look where they are at now.

I think our fan base has some kind of inferiority complex. It is like we are trying to talk players out of coming here sometimes.
lol all those schools have played for championships.

TN will be fine because it is committed to spending money to recruit. we made a ****** hire, worst ever.

lol all those schools have played for championships.

TN will be fine because it is committed to spending money to recruit. we made a ****** hire, worst ever.
Who would you have hired? We are in this place because of a poor hire by our previous incompetent athletic director.

Reactions: SoilVol
Who would you have hired? We are in this place because of a poor hire by our previous incompetent athletic director.
lol, ok. forgetting the complete and total **** show that preceded him, ill give that he was a better HBC than AD. he hired based on who he thought was best, given a lot short straws by the brass at that time.

Too much power resides in Haslamland.

The issue is that it’s unknown. Will it be a bunch of scholarships? A bowl ban? Loss of visits? Until we know, it’s limited to the imagination of those filling in the blanks when negative recruiting. It takes a damn good coach to get a program off the mat. Penn St, Baylor, and USC are more current examples of schools that rebounded. All of them have strong recruiting bases and more recent success. We are selling a program with an overall losing record since 2008.

The issue is that it’s unknown. Will it be a bunch of scholarships? A bowl ban? Loss of visits? Until we know, it’s limited to the imagination of those filling in the blanks when negative recruiting. It takes a damn good coach to get a program off the mat. Penn St, Baylor, and USC are more current examples of schools that rebounded. All of them have strong recruiting bases and more recent success. We are selling a program with an overall losing record since 2008.
In 2007 Bama hired Nick Saban and have since owned the state of Tennessee. Now it is not only Bama, but any other national power. That is what you get when you have a program that takes its winning status for granted.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
lol, ok. forgetting the complete and total **** show that preceded him, ill give that he was a better HBC than AD. he hired based on who he thought was best, given a lot short straws by the brass at that time.

Too much power resides in Haslamland.
Haslamland seems to know what they are doing in turning the Browns around.

In 2007 Bama hired Nick Saban and have since owned the state of Tennessee. Now it is not only Bama, but any other national power. That is what you get when you have a program that takes its winning status for granted.
I know what you’re saying, but Bama isn’t the proper example. They cherry pick here here like most other states. The issue is that Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia, LSU, and now Michigan are recruiting the state pretty regularly. It’s a melting pot and if the parents didn’t grow up here and the recruits don’t see much winning it’s a tough sell. We need to win games and also leave a GOOD coach to develop some connections to the HS ranks.

Reactions: sneakergawd
I know what you’re saying, but Bama isn’t the proper example. They cherry pick here here like most other states. The issue is that Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia, LSU, and now Michigan are recruiting the state pretty regularly. It’s a melting pot and if the parents didn’t grow up here and the recruits don’t see much winning it’s a tough sell. We need to win games and also leave a GOOD coach to develop some connections to the HS ranks.
I agree with you that coaching stability and showing he can work with what he has is key. I also agree with you that the state of TN is different now. The dynamics of the state, especially Mid Tn, is way different than in UT hayday. Folks didnt grow up here like in the past.

In my opinion, Pruitt did recruiting backwards. He went after the big fish, which was fine, and put very little effort into the next tier guys. Once he didn’t land the big fish he was so far behind on the next tier guys he could never catch up. Butch just went after everyone no matter what. He was too concerned about how and when they announced for looks. Neither of them were not able to develop the kids they got. Neither were able to adjust their coaching to what they had either. Who knows what Dooley was doing. Now all these years later, we are a shell of the program we could have been.

Reactions: Volnut

And you don't think there was some luck involved in that? Who was the Nick Saban-type available the way Saban was in 2007? Tennessee threw the kitchen sink at James Franklin and couldn't get him.

The reason you hire a top tier AD is because a top tier AD can identify talent. Anyone can identify Nick Saban NOW. But the guy who hired him at Toledo or Michigan State was doing his job because he identified him before anyone could.

That's Danny White's job...to identify a top coach. Time will tell if he did his job. But that's what he was hired for.

I agree with you that coaching stability and showing he can work with what he has is key. I also agree with you that the state of TN is different now. The dynamics of the state, especially Mid Tn, is way different than in UT hayday. Folks didnt grow up here like in the past.

In my opinion, Pruitt did recruiting backwards. He went after the big fish, which was fine, and put very little effort into the next tier guys. Once he didn’t land the big fish he was so far behind on the next tier guys he could never catch up. Butch just went after everyone no matter what. He was too concerned about how and when they announced for looks. Neither of them were not able to develop the kids they got. Neither were able to adjust their coaching to what they had either. Who knows what Dooley was doing. Now all these years later, we are a shell of the program we could have been.
Agreed. Pruitt built no recruiting base. Even East Tennessee was a challenge. It should have been to build feeder programs throughout the state and get his Hs buddies to refer under recruited prospects to UT if the major programs passed. It’s basically what Stoops has done at UK. Ohio St doesn’t recruit every kid in Ohio. Why go to the MAC if you can play for an SEC school?

Pruitt felt his name would carry more weight. Except his assistants weren’t good and he had no charisma or vision. He also failed to use his current players as recruiters. From the first spring practice, all we heard is the roster sucked. He told the sideline reporter vs Alabama it wasn’t going to get better til he got 25 new guys. You can’t build off that. Butch was a salesman with no substance. He abused his players and the team saw through the phony schtick. He couldn’t adjust to his roster. Heupel is sincere and if he can flush out the toxic culture, players may line up to suit up for him. But the W/L record is his lifeline to build that.

Heupel can do this, especially if this staff stays together for 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Agreed. Pruitt built no recruiting base. Even East Tennessee was a challenge. It should have been to build feeder programs throughout the state and get his Hs buddies to refer under recruited prospects to UT if the major programs passed. It’s basically what Stoops has done at UK. Ohio St doesn’t recruit every kid in Ohio. Why go to the MAC if you can play for an SEC school?

Pruitt felt his name would carry more weight. Except his assistants weren’t good and he had no charisma or vision. He also failed to use his current players as recruiters. From the first spring practice, all we heard is the roster sucked. He told the sideline reporter vs Alabama it wasn’t going to get better til he got 25 new guys. You can’t build off that. Butch was a salesman with no substance. He abused his players and the team saw through the phony schtick. He couldn’t adjust to his roster. Heupel is sincere and if he can flush out the toxic culture, players may line up to suit up for him. But the W/L record is his lifeline to build that.

Heupel can do this, especially if this staff stays together for 3-4 years.
his assistants WERE good they were overpaid and given 0 leeway, completely choked off. turble chemistry, stopped caring after a while.

Reactions: VolSummitt44
Haslamland seems to know what they are doing in turning the Browns around.

That’s because they actually care about the Browns. An NFL franchise makes the Haslams tons of $$$$. Hence why they have been able to build a good roster to start turning things around.

The only things the Haslams have done for UT is massively contribute to the utter joke we are in now.

Reactions: PA Vol
That’s because they actually care about the Browns. An NFL franchise makes the Haslams tons of $$$$. Hence why they have been able to build a good roster to start turning things around.

The only things the Haslams have done for UT is massively contribute to the utter joke we are in now.
I’m pretty sure the #1 donor for UT cares about the football teams success

his assistants WERE good they were overpaid and given 0 leeway, completely choked off. turble chemistry, stopped caring after a while.
Mixed bag. The first staff had some pros, but the chemistry didn’t work either. Rocker was a great position coach that didn’t recruit. Same for Chaney. Weinke is horrible, which gave Chaney nothing to work at. Neids has no business as an on field coach. Pruitt had a very thin Rolodex when he wanted to get Rush Probst on staff.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Mixed bag. The first staff had some pros, but the chemistry didn’t work either. Rocker was a great position coach that didn’t recruit. Same for Chaney. Weinke is horrible, which gave Chaney nothing to work at. Neids has no business as an on field coach. Pruitt had a very thin Rolodex when he wanted to get Rush Probst on staff.
notice also cramming square peg into round hole no longer works. even Saban adapted.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
I agree with you but Haslams have had their hands in the TN pie for a long time. You don’t think they have at least had some say as to who has been hired?
They definitely have their input on who we hire, but to say they don’t care about the teams success is the furthest thing from the truth. Why would you give 10s of millions of dollars for a team you don’t care about? They literally just gave 750K to the school last month haha

They definitely have their input on who we hire, but to say they don’t care about the teams success is the furthest thing from the truth. Why would you give 10s of millions of dollars for a team you don’t care about? They literally just gave 750K to the school last month haha
I do not understand the hate for the Haslams. Who would pony up the money if they were not around? I would be surprised to see that kind of money floating around on Volnation.

They give so they can keep their hands on the pie. They are a major reason why we are where we are.

I do not understand the hate for the Haslams. Who would pony up the money if they were not around? I would be surprised to see that kind of money floating around on Volnation.

Look at the big money people at other big universities and compare them to the Haslams. You think UF, UGA, Bama or Clemson big money guys would have stood for what has transpired over the past 10-15 years?

Florida’s big money got rid of a coach that won. Ack to back SECE titles. The Haslams are complete jokes. I wish they would never give another dime to TN and take their money elsewhere.

Well that and also have contributed millions and millions of dollars.

Reactions: VolByLaw

VN Store

Back