John Fulkerson officially back for a 6th season

I dig that he was sporting the Pal's shirt in the video, giving love to his home town eatery.

Glad to see Fulky back.
Our luck the NCAA will investigate and find out they gave him a t-shirt and give us the death penalty for hurting their lovechild UK

Fulky returning like this is as big or bigger than any of the newcomers signing up or the others coming back. The experience he brings is invaluable to the incoming posts, as well as the rest of the team. It will be like having a coach on the floor when he's in there. And the fact that he has help will make him a more effective and productive player. I'm sure the youngsters will look up to him and respect him and follow his lead. I think we have something special brewing for next BBall season. Go Volunteers!!!

Not to berate the point, but for an interesting comparison, contrast his 2020-21 numbers to those of Mac McClung.

Tyreke Key:
5.8 made FGs/gm on 12.3 attempts (47%)
1.3 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.3 attempts (32%)
4.3 made FTs/gm on 5.1 attempts (84%)
2.0:1.8 Asst:TO ratio
1.1 stls/gm

Mac McClung:
5.1 made FGs/gm on 12.2 attempts (42%)
1.6 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.7 attempts (34%)
3.7 made FTs/gm on 4.7 attempts (79%)
2.1:1.9 Asst:TO ratio
0.8 stls/gm

Not a heavily noticeable difference in their respective offensive efficiency and McClung (who I am also not in favor of) did it against much better competition. Advanced metrics paint a similar picture, as well...

Offensive win shares...Key: 2.5, McClung: 2.3
Defensive win shares...Key: 1.2, McClung: 1.4
Total win shares...Key: 3.7, McClung 3.7

Anyone not in favor of adding Mac would seemingly have a difficult case to make for adding Key. For our current team, if I had to make a choice, choosing between the two would be tough, but in a vacuum, I think I'd take McClung.
Great post, don't disagree with anything you said but got a question with the AST/TO stats. That's not technically the ratio is it? That's just their AST/TO stats, wouldn't the ratio be their assist # per 1 turnover? Maybe I've always read that wrong?

Fulkerson returning to UT

This makes all the better that Fulky is coming back. The Wild Kittens are still salty about that ass whooping he gave then at Rupp.

Also it's funny that UK fans are saying BHH was theirs if Cal wanted him and that he was a lock.
That game was pretty legendary. Not many better performances that we’ve seen from a vol. couldn’t have happened to a better representative of UT, or against a better opponent.

Fulkerson should be able to play most of his minutes at the power forward position and Plavsic and Aidoo can play the center position this season.

Reactions: Border Vol
Not to berate the point, but for an interesting comparison, contrast his 2020-21 numbers to those of Mac McClung.

Tyreke Key:
5.8 made FGs/gm on 12.3 attempts (47%)
1.3 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.3 attempts (32%)
4.3 made FTs/gm on 5.1 attempts (84%)
2.0:1.8 Asst:TO ratio
1.1 stls/gm

Mac McClung:
5.1 made FGs/gm on 12.2 attempts (42%)
1.6 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.7 attempts (34%)
3.7 made FTs/gm on 4.7 attempts (79%)
2.1:1.9 Asst:TO ratio
0.8 stls/gm

Not a heavily noticeable difference in their respective offensive efficiency and McClung (who I am also not in favor of) did it against much better competition. Advanced metrics paint a similar picture, as well...

Offensive win shares...Key: 2.5, McClung: 2.3
Defensive win shares...Key: 1.2, McClung: 1.4
Total win shares...Key: 3.7, McClung 3.7

Anyone not in favor of adding Mac would seemingly have a difficult case to make for adding Key. For our current team, if I had to make a choice, choosing between the two would be tough, but in a vacuum, I think I'd take McClung.
Great post here! The one thing that stands out to me on Key... the rebounding numbers. That's something you know Barnes loves. That's probably the main difference imo.

Reactions: cncchris33
Great post, don't disagree with anything you said but got a question with the AST/TO stats. That's not technically the ratio is it? That's just their AST/TO stats, wouldn't the ratio be their assist # per 1 turnover? Maybe I've always read that wrong?
Yes, the math would actually be total Assts➗total TOs to 1.

Even if you take the seasonal average numbers I listed for each guy, and divide them, it comes out the same.

So, for Key it is 1.146 to 1, and McClung is 1.148 to 1.

But yes, what I listed is technically a comparison and not a direct ratio.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Great post here! The one thing that stands out to me on Key... the rebounding numbers. That's something you know Barnes loves. That's probably the main difference imo.
Agree, he is a much better rebounder, and that usually translates across competition, but for whatever reason, it didn’t with Anosike, and it was his specialty. Just weird.

Reactions: b_gann
Fulkerson returning to UT

This makes all the better that Fulky is coming back. The Wild Kittens are still salty about that ass whooping he gave then at Rupp.

Also it's funny that UK fans are saying BHH was theirs if Cal wanted him and that he was a lock.
Could Fulky leave as the Vol with the most wins against UK.....not to jinx us.

Yes, the math would actually be total Assts➗total TOs to 1.

Even if you take the seasonal average numbers I listed for each guy, and divide them, it comes out the same.

So, for Key it is 1.146 to 1, and McClung is 1.148 to 1.

But yes, what I listed is technically a comparison and not a direct ratio.
Thanks, I wasn't trying to nitpick just trying to figure out if I'd been reading those wrong all this time haha.

Reactions: cncchris33
Tennessee’s international recruiting and newfound penchant for 5* one-and-dones is great, but there’s something special about getting solid production for a full collegiate career out of an East Tennessee boy who loves Pal’s.
Would like this a million times if I could.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back