Maurer emerging as QB1?

There is a long way to go until kickoff. Something that is obvious from video and reports from practice is that these coaches can straight up teach. We haven't seen opportunity for QB development at this level since Coach Cut was around. I really think all of these guys have the chance to improve tremendously. That being said, I am not putting to much into who stacks up where right now. Much can be learned between now and the close of camp in the fall. Whoever gets the call will have been put in a position to have success. In the end, that is what we all are looking for.
You shouldn't put too much into who appears to be leading now... but you probably shouldn't ignore it either.

If Spring ends with someone very obviously a distant 3rd... they'll most likely leave. IMHO, that won't be Hooker. I think his experience alone gives you a guy who can dependably run your O... even if he isn't flashy. His reported weakness in deep throws can be offset by his ability to break the pocket and pick up yardage.

Watch a few go absolutely ballistic if Bailey announces he's leaving. They'll throw stones at the coaches, the other QB's, and everyone else because UT couldn't develop a "5* elite recruit". Two things have always bothered me about Bailey's ranking. One, I have never seen him show top shelf arm strength. Not in HS. Not last year. Not in the practice videos we've seen this year. Not a rag arm or anything like that... just not a "5*" arm. The other thing is that Gilbert was a pretty convenient "easy button". Some times Bailey just seemed to throw in his direction knowing that few HS players could defend him. He may or may not have been as successful in HS without Gilbert... but to me that's an open question mark on his ability.

Basically the same group will celebrate if Maurer leaves.

He did but it wasn't directed at you...you like an old man yelling at kids coming near his lawn...it becoming stalkerish....
And you’re like the old man on the other side of the street drawing up stalker conspiracies where they ain’t. 😎

Reactions: Behr
listening to the folks that watch practice it sounds like they are gonna hit the portal for a couple QBs

That's not a good omen:rolleyes:
Why? Does it mean that all 4 of the guys currently on the roster suck? Could it mean that they expect at least one and possibly more to transfer after spring? Could it mean that they do not expect Salter to make it?

Looking to the portal probably means they're concerned about depth more than thinking all of the current guys suck and cannot be coached up to do the job.

My guess is that they want 4 competitive QB's in the room. Lose one of the current 4... you need to replace them.

Reactions: 1vol8
Guys unfortunatly there was legitimate reasons why nobody could unseat Guarantano.....we are extremely in need of some transfer portal QBs

everytime he post your right there on commenting...most of the time it isn't even to you..so why bother other then to be an jerk??
It’s what he’s saying and what he’s selling. Why are YOU extending your protection, Pedro? I know you drink at the trough of Maurer and he fills it with fluid. sjt made some observations and was asked if he attends some practices. UNSOLICITED the Handler declared that he “knows for a fact that he does”. It was BULL! “Why bother”? We’re not doing text messages. You put it on a message board and ERRYBODY gets the MESSAGE.

It’s what he’s saying and what he’s selling. Why are YOU extending your protection, Pedro. I know you drink at the trough of Maurer and he fills it with fluid. sjt made some observations and was asked if he attends some practices. UNSOLICITED the Handler declared that he “knows for a fact that he does”. It was BULL! “Why bother”? We’re not doing text messages. You put it on a message board and ERRYBODY gets the MESSAGE.
Here the thing...it had nothing to do with you...at all..it is a mag board and his msg was directed to someone directly....its all part of the pissing contest you have with everyone you disgaree with..then you make some snarkey smarta** remarks...little cool emoji like a school girl and you feel better about yourself....congrats butchna you got the biggest opinion on the board. Happy??

Insiders insist there is no way Heup will trust his offense to the mercurial Brian Maurer. Notably, Volquest's Austin Price predicted after yesterday's practice Hendon Hooker will be the fall starter unless the Vol staff finds a transfer on the waiver wire.

Here the thing...it had nothing to do with you...at all..it is a mag board and his msg was directed to someone directly....its all part of the pissing contest you have with everyone you disgaree with..then you make some snarkey smarta** remarks...little cool emoji like a school girl and you feel better about yourself....congrats butchna you got the biggest opinion on the board. Happy??
Getting there. Tell me again how cool my emojis are. 😉

'I was really surprised by how much time Halsey had to spend on rudimentary things like footwork and other fundamentals. These are things college QB's should already be adept at'

'I was really surprised by how much time Halsey had to spend on rudimentary things like footwork and other fundamentals. These are things college QB's should already be adept at'
I have a feeling they didn't get much 1 on 1 direction the last few seasons due to the amount of attention needed to get JG going...

Reactions: sjt18
Why? Does it mean that all 4 of the guys currently on the roster suck? Could it mean that they expect at least one and possibly more to transfer after spring? Could it mean that they do not expect Salter to make it?

Looking to the portal probably means they're concerned about depth more than thinking all of the current guys suck and cannot be coached up to do the job.

My guess is that they want 4 competitive QB's in the room. Lose one of the current 4... you need to replace them.
It could mean that none of our quarterback may fit in the new system

downloadfile.jpg

It could mean that none of our quarterback may fit in the new system
Of course it could. Or it could mean that one doesn't... or two. It does not necessarily mean "ALL" as so many are declaring definitively.

When the coaching staff makes statement(s) pointing to all of the QB's being duds... then I'll buy that line. Right now though the greatest likelihoods is that they expect to lose at least one of the current guys post spring.

Reactions: Border Vol
I have a feeling they didn't get much 1 on 1 direction the last few seasons due to the amount of attention needed to get JG going...
IMHO, that is the answer to the question some are asking: "What was Weinke doing?" I believe Pruitt put all of his eggs in one basket and made it the job of Chaney and Weinke to hammer that square peg through the round pin hole.

VN Store

Back