Corey Walker Enters Transfer Portal

Walker didn't even pen a goodbye letter saying how much he loved his time here and will always be a VFL☺

While he's at it he should also give us next week's lotto numbers...lol
It’s not like it’s a fortune telling. You have a over a year to get to know these kids. Campus visits, home visits, talk to their coaches and school faculty. It’s something you want to get an idea for before you offer them a scholarship. I understand missing on some but not 50% like Barnes seems to be doing currently.

Reactions: VolArmy74
It’s not like it’s a fortune telling. You have a over a year to get to know these kids. Campus visits, home visits, talk to their coaches and school faculty. It’s something you want to get an idea for before you offer them a scholarship. I understand missing on some but not 50% like Barnes seems to be doing currently.

Let's see...2020 class had 2 5* one & done players & 1 transfer. Please enlighten me as to how you arrived at 50% misses

You have no idea what you’re talking about

Reactions: Nickid1975
Let's see...2020 class had 2 5* one & done players & 1 transfer. Please enlighten me as to how you arrived at 50% misses
@VolFreakJosh
Last four classes. 2017 4 signees three transfers Kent, Darrington, Walker. 2018 1 signee 1 transfer Dj Burns. 2019 5 signees two transfers Pember and Gaines. 2020 3 signees and 1 transfer Walker. So 7 out of 13 signees......

Or because they are teenagers that grew up being told that their **** doesn’t stink and they fail to take their next step in life successfully. It’s not like coaches get to do background checks on them as if they were applying to be FBI agents.

They do far more intensive background checks than you seem to realize. Even lower division schools do this. By the time most coaches make an offer on a kid they've talked to every coach on the team, the school principal, the kid's teachers, his family, the kid himself, the kid's AAU coaches, and usually community members. I've seen some good players that didn't get very good offers because of their off the field issues that coaches found out about and stayed away from. Things like attitude problems, motivation problems etc.

Our local HS had a 6'4 300lb DL who could bench 400 pounds and demanded a double team constantly from his nose position. He went to camp at MTSU and blew the staff there away with his raw numbers. Ran something like a 4.8/40. But the kid had major attitude problems, conflicted with his coaches, wouldn't commit to practicing hard, literally a million dollar physicality but a 10 cent heart. He got no scholarship offers at all because his coaches were honest with college coaches that called about him. They told the coaches if they expected the kid to come out and give 100 percent they were going to be disappointed more often than not. That was enough. If you have MTSU/Tn Tech/UT-C doing that level of diligence regarding a football recruit, you'd hope our staff is doing it for basketball. But as was pointed out above we seem to have about a 50 percent miss rate the last 4 years on guys. That's very hard to afford when you only have a few roster spots to go around.

@VolFreakJosh
Last four classes. 2017 4 signees three transfers Kent, Darrington, Walker. 2018 1 signee 1 transfer Dj Burns. 2019 5 signees two transfers Pember and Gaines. 2020 3 signees and 1 transfer Walker. So 7 out of 13 signees......

Did not realize CRB only coached for 4 seasons...lol. Also, you lumped all transfers together and ignored the reasons for the transfers after implying in your post it was all due to CRB "not getting to know the players" after having a "year" to get to know them...context matters...everyone knew both Pember and Kent were projects and Darrington was a transfer who got squeezed for playing time. Gaines had the commitment but could not develop offensively so he is leaving for more playing time.

So, by my count, that leaves Walker, Burns, and Walker (3/13) who actually fit your original complaint as most reasonable posters would recognize the other transfers were committed but not good enough to get more minutes due to the talent on the roster (maybe CRB shouldn't recruit so well so more players will stay?!?!). It is more than fair to criticize CRB for not having more depth in the post but, while it is easy on a message board to discount/ignore the team culture, the reality is any head coach worth his salt recognizes players should be held accountable to be committed to do ALL that is expected (otherwise, you may very well end up with the dumpster fire that is our current football program).

Bottom line is its a 2-way street...player has to be ready to put the work in (easy to say & believe as a high school SR) and CRB has to gauge their fit then figure out how to motivate them once they get on campus. To lay the blame 100% on CRB for transfers, even those 3, is a gross oversimplification.

Did not realize CRB only coached for 4 seasons...lol. Also, you lumped all transfers together and ignored the reasons for the transfers after implying in your post it was all due to CRB "not getting to know the players" after having a "year" to get to know them...context matters...everyone knew both Pember and Kent were projects and Darrington was a transfer who got squeezed for playing time. Gaines had the commitment but could not develop offensively so he is leaving for more playing time.

So, by my count, that leaves Walker, Burns, and Walker (3/13) who actually fit your original complaint as most reasonable posters would recognize the other transfers were committed but not good enough to get more minutes due to the talent on the roster (maybe CRB shouldn't recruit so well so more players will stay?!?!). It is more than fair to criticize CRB for not having more depth in the post but, while it is easy on a message board to discount/ignore the team culture, the reality is any head coach worth his salt recognizes players should be held accountable to be committed to do ALL that is expected (otherwise, you may very well end up with the dumpster fire that is our current football program).

Bottom line is its a 2-way street...player has to be ready to put the work in (easy to say & believe as a high school SR) and CRB has to gauge their fit then figure out how to motivate them once they get on campus. To lay the blame 100% on CRB for transfers, even those 3, is a gross oversimplification.

Well said.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

To be fair, it's fair to wonder why we've taken kids sometimes that everybody basically from the start has assumed would never contribute in a meaningful way, particularly in the post. Thats a fair criticism and should be factored in when considering Barnes' recruiting "busts" or whatever you want to call them. It does seem like that is happening less now, though

To be fair, it's fair to wonder why we've taken kids sometimes that everybody basically from the start has assumed would never contribute in a meaningful way, particularly in the post. Thats a fair criticism and should be factored in when considering Barnes' recruiting "busts" or whatever you want to call them. It does seem like that is happening less now, though

Pember I sort of get. Local kid, 6’10 and has a decent stroke. It made some sense. Kent never made sense

Pember I sort of get. Local kid, 6’10 and has a decent stroke. It made some sense. Kent never made sense
Eh, I never had hope for Pember here, much as it was fun to see him try and posterize that Memphis dude that one time. And I'm generally optimistic about player outlooks. There was no hope he could defend any position successfully with how thin and non-agile he was, and his shooting always seemed good more in theory than in practice (though, admittedly, I dont scout high school kids or anything, so maybe he was a lot more accurate then)

VN Store

Back