Amazon Labor Union Vote

This is always an entertaining discussion. I'll be upfront and say as a member of a union, I don't like unions. They tend to be corrupt good ol' boys clubs. But... My pay and QOL would not be what it is without it. There are valid comparisons within the industry that I won't get in to. But if those issues were domestic only, the discussion wouldn't really be happening. The problem is that we are becoming more and more and more of a global economy with each passing day. And it's nothing new. Why are iPhones made in China? Why is pretty much anything you buy in Walmart or Target made in China? The argument that 'unions killed' such and such is a half truth at best and myopic. We have the best standard of living on the planet, and it is both great and terrible because of that globalization of economies. Water will always seek the lowest point. Money is the same. American labor can NEVER compete with Chinese labor. Never, ever in a million years unless either A) their standard of living comes up to meet ours, or B) ours goes down to meet theirs. Now.. you tell me. Which was Mr Trump trying to accomplish, and which is Mr Biden trying to accomplish via POLICY.
Unions become a self serving entity and in the end hurt employees. They have a purpose and then they become a detriment

Unions become a self serving entity and in the end hurt employees. They have a purpose and then they become a detriment
I don't necessarily disagree, but like I said, I can cite examples of union versus non union airlines and the union pilots have a far better pay and QOL. Where it gets interesting is when the threat of a union becomes powerful. Our flight attendants are non union. Whenever a union drive pops up, it is amazing how their lounges get new recliners, new computers, paint jobs, snack bars yada yada yada... and the union gets voted down.

Were they given snacks while voting? Did the extend voting hours by weeks to accommodate those voters who can’t follow simple instructions? If the answer is no, then the vote was racist and suppressed
Don’t worry they’ve already filed a complaint with NLRB saying Amazon rigged the vote.

Reactions: VolnJC and AM64
All the more reason I think this past election was stolen in many areas. The same old tricks just aren't working as much as the media would lead you to believe. Granted, there is A LOT of ground to make up, but this right here is pretty interesting feedback.

Maybe the Amazon Employees in Bessemer Just Didn't Want a Union | National Review

"Amazon is the only job I know where they pay your health insurance from Day 1,” Ms. Stokes, 52, said. She added that she had been turned off by how organizers tried to cast the union drive as an extension of the Black Lives Matter movement because most of the workers are Black.

This was not an African-American issue,’’ said Ms. Stokes, who is Black. “I feel you can work there comfortably without being harassed.”

Reactions: AM64 and VolnJC
What about police unions?

giphy.gif

I wouldn't know if unions are good or not. Ya'll baby boomers ruined it for us.

My dad and uncle seem to enjoy their union pensions though :confused:

Raegan, the lifelong union member, busted them up for everyone else. It was ruined for me cause there were no powerful unions left by the time I hit working age
Be a leader. Start one and show how tough you are. And I am not sure what Mr Reagan's union past has to do with it. What do you think you lack that a 'powerful' union could produce for you?

Reactions: DC_Vol
Be a leader. Start one and show how tough you are. And I am not sure what Mr Reagan's union past has to do with it. What do you think you lack that a 'powerful' union could produce for you?

Again, idk what it could do for me. I cant answer that question. The baby boomers killed them all off. I have literally zero personal experience with a union like most every private sector worker in MY generation.

All I have to think about is my dad and uncle who enjoy their union pensions. Good for them, I guess. A relic of a byegone era

Again, idk what it could do for me. I cant answer that question. The baby boomers killed them all off. I have literally zero personal experience with a union like most every private sector worker in MY generation.

All I have to think about is my dad and uncle who enjoy their union pensions. Good for them, I guess. A relic of a byegone era
If you are really interested in having a union represent you for purposes of collective bargaining with your employer, you need to do a little research. First, don't believe that the baby boomers or anyone else has killed them all off. There are hundreds of unions - Teamsters, UAW, SEIU, UMWA, NMU, etc. Google can be your friend. All are interested in new members. Identify a union you think would represent your interests well. Contact the union and tell them about your interest in organizing a union at your workplace. Volunteer to lead the in-house organizing committee. If a majority of your fellow employees (or more precisely, those employees in the bargaining unit approved by the NLRB) vote for the union, then the NLRB will certify the union as the exclusive bargaining agent for the unit. Then the union can begin negotiating a collective bargaining agreement with your employer. In a nutshell, that's really all there is to it. Good luck.

Reactions: Tastylicks
If you are really interested in having a union represent you for purposes of collective bargaining with your employer, you need to do a little research. First, don't believe that the baby boomers or anyone else has killed them all off. There are hundreds of unions - Teamsters, UAW, SEIU, UMWA, NMU, etc. Google can be your friend. All are interested in new members. Identify a union you think would represent your interests well. Contact the union and tell them about your interest in organizing a union at your workplace. Volunteer to lead the in-house organizing committee. If a majority of your fellow employees (or more precisely, those employees in the bargaining unit approved by the NLRB) vote for the union, then the NLRB will certify the union as the exclusive bargaining agent for the unit. Then the union can begin negotiating a collective bargaining agreement with your employer. In a nutshell, that's really all there is to it. Good luck.

my next move would be filing for unemployment if I tried to start a union at my workplace

VN Store

Back