Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tennessee vs Kentucky –

What’s the difference?

In 2013 Mark “Malarkey” Stoops was hired as the Head Football Coach at Kentucky. In 8 seasons he has won 24 SEC games and lost 42. He has only had 1 winning season in the SEC, 2018, where he went 5-3. In those 8 years he has beat Tennessee 2 times and lost to Tennessee 6 times.

During the same 8 years, starting with our new coach, Butch Jones, in 2013 and through Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee has won 24 SEC games and lost 42. No difference, right? Well, we’ve actually had 2 winning seasons in conference (2015 & 2019), plus we’ve beat Kentucky 6 times and only lost twice.

The real difference and what will likely always separate us from Kentucky in football is we expect to do better – so we fired Butch (4-1 vs UK), then fired Jeremy (2-1 vs UK), and now we have our 3rd coach beginning his run in 2021. No matter what else happens it seems inevitable that Josh Heupel will have a winning record against Mark “Malarkey” Stoops. jmo.

In the 2 wins Kentucky had against us over the last 8 years they got to face Guarantano at QB, first in 2017 and then in 2020 (Even JG beat them twice). Perhaps the person most disappointed to see JG transfer away from Tennessee is Mark “Malarkey” Stoops.

In addition to losing Guarantano, Kentucky also lost both starting cornerbacks (biggest loss was Joseph, who had 4 Ints last year including 1 of the pick sixes against us), their edge rusher (18.5 career sacks), MLB (102 tackles in 2020), and their starting NT.

They fired two of their offensive coaches, Eddie Gran (OC) and Darin Hinshaw (QB), and brought in the “Assistant” to the QB coach for the Rams to run their new offense. The guy was previously the “Assistant” to the receivers coach for the Rams.

Kentucky also has a new offensive line coach (replacing an interim OL coach) and a new running backs coach/special teams coordinator.

Mark “Malarkey” Stoops said during spring practice that he was really excited about his new offense but sorry, just like Dan Mullen at Florida, it’s not yet ready for a spring game this year. Need more time.

Any suggestion that in the normal course of things we should be seriously worried about Kentucky this year is likely just a bunch of “Malarkey”. jmo.

100%.

Other than tightening up their D, which was good at times and mediocre the rest, Eddie Gran was the only reason they won at all with the lack of talent they had on O. He devised a couple of excellent schemes to use the talent they had to its utmost. The problem was and will continue to be that later point - lack of talent. As a result top assistant coaches will not go there generally. Cannot recruit well there and Malarkey has topped out with his own competency.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
I think looking back Schiano would be been way better than Pruitt and I never thought that would have been true.

I totally missed that one.

Bahama John would still be AD and Schiano would still be coaching. Probably too 15-20 recruiting and 8-10 wins a year.

We could do worse. Oh wait ...

You didn't just do that. lol.

Try selling mommas about the character and family atmosphere of a SchiaNO led program with the trail of tears in his background. There are many valid reasons he did not get a HC job at other P5's. I would have turned my Vol card in had they hired him.

I think looking back Schiano would be been way better than Pruitt and I never thought that would have been true.

Bahama John would still be AD and Schiano would still be coaching. Probably too 15-20 recruiting and 8-10 wins a year.

Yep. Would be very different here than it is now

Reactions: SpringBokVol
the biggest mistake in tenn football in decades. GS would have us rocking and rolling right now

Instead I rarely even check the football news because Tenn football has been destroyed by fans and boosters pretending they know best. An irrelevant program and destined to stay that for a foreseeable future

sad
His record is 71-73 in college and 11-21 in NFL. Try another “counter” argument that has legs...

His record is 71-73 in college and 11-21 in NFL. Try another “counter” argument that has legs...

NFL record means nothing for college coaches.

And I’m not upset GS isn’t here but the dude is a good college HC. In the 20 years before he arrived at Rutgers they never won more than 7 games. He did it 6x from 2001-2011 with two 8 win seasons, two 9 win seasons, and an 11 win season. Had Rutgers of all places consistently winning football games.

At some point when the list of names we all think are the problem is so long we have to start realizing the names aren’t the problem it’s the program that’s the problem

I heard for the 5th straight time today “in just a few months coach ______ is changing the culture at Tenn”

Sick of the same **** over and over

I understand the hesitancy. But bama didn’t start being great again because their program was great. They were a **** show. They just got their last hire right. 3 before that were bad. If CJH is the guy then we will be legit and fast. If he isn’t then no matter what the program is you will suck. It will happen at some point...

It would have ended the same way. Schiano was not the man for the Tennessee job.

The way he fits and works at Rutgers is very specific and not replicable anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back