Geno-An Opportunistic Infection?

glv98, I never call him that myself, but Geno’s name actually IS Luigi, so I’m not sure why anyone using his real name would bother anyone.

Now, if posters were calling him “Guido” that would be considered a slur in some circles. But not Luigi.

glv98, I never call him that myself, but Geno’s name actually IS Luigi, so I’m not sure why anyone using his real name would bother anyone.

Now, if posters were calling him “Guido” that would be considered a slur in some circles. But not Luigi.
He didn't know that. I didn't either.
Correct, had no idea it is his actual name. I'm officially unbothered. Also unpuzzled bc I was so surprised creekdipper would do that. Now I know they didn't. My bad.

Nah, not widespread and I've tried to ignore it for a long time. Especially since I'm the one always saying don't tell others what to post not post. I don't ever report stuff. Just my 2 cents that the term seems ethnic to me. Seems like exactly the kind of stuff we're trying to stop.

I hear you. But there comes a point where if it becomes derogatory i think people have the right to tell others to chill... that’s one of the rules of the forum. My mom always said you have the right to say what you want but you don’t have the right to control others actions to what you say so be diligent in your words. Now that i’m older i totally can read between the line as don’t get that a** whipped🤣

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
There are certain coaches who have created a "certain culture", when it comes to their program, Pat, Geno, Kim, Dawn, and the list goes on and on. The top players across the country who chooses UCONN have a strong idea of what they are signing up for when they go to UCONN. It is not for everybody, just like UT was not for everybody under Pat Summitt. Geno Auriemma constantly pushes his team in every way, and he could give two cents how the rest of us feel. The press conference was typical Coach Auriemma, he was publicly and not so subtlety planting a seed in the mind of his players for the off season and next year. Yes it is a risk, but if we're going to add another championship, I need to see who can take what's instore for next year. We (UCONN) have to surpass SC, Baylor, Stanford, and AZ .

Didn't I mentioned it at one point but some people didn't believe me. I would pick Williams over paige any day, but Geno praise paige like she's Michael Jordan. If Williams had stayed in the game it would've been a lot of problems because she was Uconn star at the last 2 games. How many times have u hard Geno mentioned Maya, Tina, and all of his black star players compared to how he mentions Diana, Bird, Paige, and rest of them.
Facts

Reactions: Remy
To this day, Luigi remains a shameless self-promoter. Classic case of little man syndrome.

I just read somewhere where Geno is now 6’1”. Almost rolled on floor laughing. I think the reason UCONN exaggerates the height of their players in their bio’s is so UCONN can exaggerate Geno’s height

You’re right Geno is little

Correct, had no idea it is his actual name. I'm officially unbothered. Also unpuzzled bc I was so surprised creekdipper would do that. Now I know they didn't. My bad.

Understood, and I actually appreciate your sensitivity toward what you thought was someone using an ethnic slur and calling attention to it. That was not the intent (after all, his preferred nickname is just as "ethnic"), but it most definitely was used because he evidently doesn't like it. Yes, kind of petty, especially since he'll never see our comments, but just reacting in a way consistent with his history of disrespecting others, particularly Pat Summitt.

I almost never use the nickname "Geno" because (to me) that implies a certain degree of familiarity and respect for his character. Likewise, I rarely use "Jeff" for Walz, choosing to use their last names in both cases. But Luigi is by far the worst offender. And, despite what some have posted, it has nothing to do with his success. If Tara had 11 championships, I'd be happy for her. But then, she doesn't have his long history of publicly deliberately choosing to insult his peers and their fan bases, demonstrating a lack of moral character, and shamelessly self-promoting himself at every turn (which he continues to do).

Public figures often go by nicknames (our history is filled with examples) for their own reasons. "Beto" O'Rourke is actually Robert Francis O'Rourke; "Bobby" Jindal's name is Piyush; Nikki Haley's first name is Nimrata, reflecting her Indian heritage; Ted Cruz is Raphael Edward Cruz. Their motivations for choosing their "public" identity may be political, professional, or personal. None of their choices bother me, nor does "Geno" being used in place of "Luigi." Maybe it's another case of a younger sibling who had trouble pronouncing the given name as a child and the nikname stuck. There are common examples of that, too.

Just to be clear, I admire the Auriemma family backstory. Years ago, I saw a feature on him showing his early childhood growing up without a lot of economic means before the family immigrated to the U.S. it's actually a great American story, and one can admire his efforts in building the Connecticut juggernaut without admiring the man's character. His vulgarity and casual swearing on a national tv profile along with his constant needling of his peers with obvious glee and then laughing it off with "I'm from Philly" remarks instantly did it for me. His lame excuses about it all being about just promoting a rivalry for the good of the game were exposed by his childish dispecting of Parker. And despite his fans sometimes saying that he's "mellowed" and his occasional ruminations about maybe going too far at times, he still has to constantly remind everyone how many titles he has, how everyone would be doing it if it were easy, yada yada. The guy can't help himself...it's ingrained in his nature.

So I don't like to refer to him as "Geno" for the same reason I rarely use "UConn" as long as he's there. It's a small sign of contempt and disdain for him...not for his coaching accomplishments.

But to avoid any misconceptions over using his actual name and giving VolNation a black eye, I'll return to using "Auriemma." Which is showing a heck of a lot more consideration than he ever gave Pat in their heyday.

This in stark contrast to Dawn (yeah I'm going to brag on Dawn) who immediately went to Beal and Boston after our FF game to tell them it was OK.

Geno comes across as a real a**hole. I have no doubt that the recruitment of Maya Moore was not on the up and up. Probably lots of skeletons there that will never see the light of day.
Just what did he do with C. Williams after she missed three free throws against Baylor that could have cost UConn the game? Include the good with the bad.

Just what did he do with C. Williams after she missed three free throws against Baylor that could have cost UConn the game? Include the good with the bad.
HE pretty much bashed his players calling them immature for their comments of stating "They thought it would have been an easier game against Arizona bc that's not how he approached it himself or how he delivered the scouting report...sure" i think he gets away with a lot due to his status , I've seen coaches let go for less smh

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
HE pretty much bashed his players calling them immature for their comments of stating "They thought it would have been an easier game against Arizona bc that's not how he approached it himself or how he delivered the scouting report...sure" i think he gets away with a lot due to his status , I've seen coaches let go for less smh
He's not wrong. Both Christyn and Paige said just that. And they probably deserved the reality check from Geno for actually saying that in an interview.

Oh yeah? Which coaches?

I know it's fashionable to hate on Geno, but you're really reaching with this one...

I really don't know what Geno did with Williams. What I do know is that he throws his players under the bus calling them out individually á la Brenda Frese. Oh by the way as you told me in an earlier post I wasn't talking or responding to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Oh yeah? Which coaches?

I know it's fashionable to hate on Geno, but you're really reaching with this one...
Dont you belong on boneyard ? I said that just to see who would show their true colors ? And your pretty Darth blue

Again not to defend GA but he is a great coach and a good motivator....

With all this talk of how he treated this situation and that one.... it was not too long ago when our own coach went regularly to the post game microphone and absolutely threw her players under the bus..... "I can't coach effort" "I tell them to do this and they just don't do it"...and the athletic dept loved how she did things so much that they had her as the HC for several years.

I really don't know what Geno did with Williams. What I do know is that he throws his players under the bus calling them out individually á la Brenda Frese. Oh by the way as you told me in an earlier post I wasn't talking or responding to you.
Good answer. By the way, he comforted Williams to let her know not to get down on herself. I will not respond to anymore of your posts. Thank you for the reminder.

Sometimes, when I log onto this board, I'm not sure what team it represents. It seems every other post is about a team up north.
Are they really that embedded in the minds of LV fans ?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
It was in his post game presser on YouTube. I thought he was out of line after all that girl has done this year. She didn’t get POY for slacking off. That being said, he has a lot of excellent bb players. He was out coached by the Arizona coach and his players were outplayed on that night and he didn’t like it.

Reactions: Remy

VN Store

Back