So is there anything to even be excited about this fall?

I feel like we are going to be more competitive than people think. I am excited to see them play. We have legit burners at the skill positions and I believe we will be serviceable on defense. Let’s RIDE! GET SOME!!!
I want to feel this way to, but I really think we may have a very bad defense. And our offense will take a while to click. So yeah I could see us scoring more points than last year but I can see us giving up 50 too. Hopefully I am wrong and my life as a vol fan is causing me to see things negatively.

Where did I say we did or I had gotten my "hopes up"? I am being hopeful but working pretty hard to stay in the range of "reasonable" based on what we know now. Lots of things could change between now and August for better or worse.

PS- I'm not sold on Ole Miss or Kiffin. Kiffin's best performance as a coach was probably his one year at UT. How much of that was Monte? Ole Miss was a mixed bag last year. They were pretty good on O and downright awful on D. UT could be mirror boxing in that game.

Out of the 5 games in serious question, I would say Ole Miss is the most likely loss followed by UK then Mizzou. I think UT will beat USCe, Vandy (badly), and Pitt.

But... for every one of these teams it comes down to coaching and what happens between now and the season. Any could pick up important transfers. Any could lose key players. Any could have guys emerge that aren't expected to help.

For UT... much of it comes down to how good the staff is. Pruitt for all his flaws did not leave an empty cupboard. There are holes. For most teams there are every year. The coaches have to figure out how to close those holes.

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. I get tired of the "chicken little" panic of the NegaVols/Knoxville media bunch and the few sunshine pumpers who remain. A lot of rosters will change due to transfers this year including UTs. Except for FL, GA and BAMA it will come down to coaching, key injuries and luck in most games. Who knows, the COVID Nazis may have more to say about the season than anyone.

Reactions: sjt18
If you thought Ole Miss was exciting football last year, which I certainly do, then this fall Tennessee will be playing exciting football. Very similar offensive philosophies as Ole Miss.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’m looking forward to not falling short of expectations..... hard fall short of very low expectations.

We'll get to be excited for about three games in the fall. Unfortunately, these three games will be against teams we should be able to beat with one arm tied behind our back.

So here is the schedule and my predictions.

9/4/2021 Bowling Green: Win - Should be a win but you never know. Bowling Green isn't a bad program. Not an easy opener for a program that is struggling

9/11/2021 Pittsburgh: Likely a loss. Pittsburgh has issues as well so should at least be close game

9/18/2021 Tennessee Tech: Win Even with our issues, this will still be a blowout.

9/25/2021 @ Florida: Loss. I don't expect this to be close.

10/2/2021 @ Missouri: Loss. Missouri got hot the second half of the season.

10/9/2021 South Carolina: Toss-Up. I really cannot predict this one. Both teams have major issues. They are pretty much in the same spot right now. It might come down to luck.

10/16/2021 Ole Miss: Loss. I really hated to write that as I would love to see us take it to Kiffin.

10/23/2021 @ Alabama: Loss. Why do we even play this series anymore? It is an annual beat down every year.

11/06/2021 @ Kentucky: Loss. I don't see us beating them but you never know. Kentucky struggles on offense. This could be a potential upset.

11/13/2021 Georgia: Loss. It won't be close.

11/20/2021 South Alabama: Win. I don't see us losing this one but you never know after we lost at home to Georgia State.

11/27/2021 Vanderbilt: Win. Vandy has far more issues than Tennessee right now. I wouldn't underestimate them but I think Tennessee beats them.

4-7-1. The season will come down to the games against Bowling Green, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy. If we can beat all 5 of them, Heupel deserves a raise.
Sorry no first year raise seen that one. Just win a couple against the big boys and then talk money !

It seems like the Football program is a train wreck right now.

This isn't a dig at the coach or players (what players we have retained) as the issues pre-date them. I just don't see Tennessee capable of fielding a very good team with so many defections and impending sanctions. This program is a real mess right now and it is going to be hard to watch or enjoy them as a fan.

It is a shame you have no more hope in our program than you do. Tennessee could just as easily be much better this year than not. I think Tennessee needs more fans to support them more than ever and you are not helping anything

This isn't a dig at the coach or players (what players we have retained) as the issues pre-date them. I just don't see Tennessee capable of fielding a very good team with so many defections and impending sanctions. This program is a real mess right now and it is going to be hard to watch or enjoy them as a fan.

Tennessee will win a minimum of 5 games this next season with a chance to win 8-9. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the season.......the drive to Knoxville, a packed Neyland, tailgating, the Pride's playing to The Hill and pregame show, and our Vols running through the T. And, on top of all that, we're taking our 7 year old twin grandsons to their first game...........can't wait!

I’d say it’s going to at least be entertaining offensively. I’m afraid we’re going to see more than a few 45-31 type losses, but at least the era of tractor pull offense is likely over.

better than the 45-10 losses we've been seeing the past couple of years...

Reactions: orangebloodforlife

I honestly don't think we need to worry about sanctions. We'll never see anything significant. Just look at LSU basketball/football for example. They actually have FBI investigations and covering up rape allegations.

Until Tennessee gets quality depth on Defense they will struggle to be competitive for 4 quarters.

First things first:

It has come time for our fan base to settle on a metaphor. Some Vol fans say that we are a dumpster fire, while others insist that we are a train wreck. Which is it? I'm tired of the confusion. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reactions: VolsSince78
First things first:

It has come time for our fan base to settle on a metaphor. Some Vol fans say that we are a dumpster fire, while others insist that we are a train wreck. Which is it? I'm tired of the confusion. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
They are both right. UT will start the season as a train wreck, but will be a full blown dumpster fire by the South Carolina game.

It's been hard to watch as a fan before any this happened

They are both right. UT will start the season as a train wreck, but will be a full blown dumpster fire by the South Carolina game.
So you're saying that we are a train which struck a dumpster - and then combusted? Interesting theory.

VN Store

Back