Geno-An Opportunistic Infection?

I’m hesitant to start a new thread as when I joined I got harshly criticized for starting them. However, I’ve not come across one discussing some questions I’ve had about Geno. The title is harsher than I’d like the content to be but I couldn’t resist.

My issue is that he flogs his players at every media opportunity that arises for him. It’s degrading and disrespectful. He came around in a time before sexual harassment had any real definition let alone teeth. Women were gaslit by white men to feel some semblance of power while being kept under the thumb of a rude man.

Now in the 2020s women are truly becoming empowered and are coaching empowerment and being built up rather than torn down to become better. Now we have middle ranked players outplaying the alleged cream of the crop.

Perhaps his style is outdated and a new era of basketball begins. I’d like to see players recognize this and move on.
Lost me at white men. Part of the woke crowd aren’t you

There's a lot of things that I can't stand about him. Funny how everyone around him feels like each time he opens his mouth he's perfect. Half of his players are juniors yet he constantly yelled we're young when things doesn't go his way. I don't kn about America but where I'm from the word "immature " is an insulting word to use on a grown person.

I believe we sat next to Christyn Williams’ parents and at breakfast this morning and I believe they were irate. I’d be too if Geno is in the media insulting the entire team saying Paige doesn’t have any support. I think Williams outplayed her in their last 2 games. I just don’t think that makes a player better.

Didn't I mentioned it at one point but some people didn't believe me. I would pick Williams over paige any day, but Geno praise paige like she's Michael Jordan. If Williams had stayed in the game it would've been a lot of problems because she was Uconn star at the last 2 games. How many times have u hard Geno mentioned Maya, Tina, and all of his black star players compared to how he mentions Diana, Bird, Paige, and rest of them.

FYI, UConn roster includes 10 freshmen and sophmores. ( 7 and 3) The 7 includes a HS kid.

This in stark contrast to Dawn (yeah I'm going to brag on Dawn) who immediately went to Beal and Boston after our FF game to tell them it was OK.

Geno comes across as a real a**hole. I have no doubt that the recruitment of Maya Moore was not on the up and up. Probably lots of skeletons there that will never see the light of day.
have to give Dawn credit for that

FYI, UConn roster includes 10 freshmen and sophmores. ( 7 and 3) The 7 includes a HS kid.

Be4 u start FYI ppl did u check their roster? Uconn has 3 Juniors and how many #1 recruits? How many schools in the competition has back to back #1 recruits in their team even if they're Freshmans? Give me Uconn team I will win. It doesn't matter Freshman they're 5top recruit with Williams #2 or 3 and ONO #5, then Evina #2 okkkk ..Team full of stars and Geno still crying were young, were dumb, were psyco and were immature lol

Boneyard over there with a 50 page officiating thread complaining about the Williams call , but against Baylor it was a no call in there eyes #Karmas a _____

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
It feels different actually defending Geno.... but i will.... I admire his coaching acumen, as I do and have with others.... Tara, Muffet, Mulkey, of course Pat.

Geno is a different type.... from Philly, where you say it like it is.... that is insulting to some agreed.... but it is not a reflection on his coaching....

He has a bunch of national banners, he has been to 13 straight final 4s.... no he is not slipping.... i noticed who he has coming in next year.... it looks like Stanford, SC and UConn will be at the top for the next few years at least.....

Athletes go to his program because they want to get better. There is not a cloud of abuse over the program like he treats his players badly... Evina Westbrook's mother has not said anything about her daughter's treatment.... his record is such that I wouldn't criticize his accomplishments...

All the love for Dawn.... and yes she is a good coach.... but all the years of coaching and she has ONE national title..... one and a half if you count the banner she put up last year.... it is difficult to win in this era of college basketball..... it is not as easy as when you were Immaculata and all you had to do is get by Old Dominion.....

I keep a keen eye on WCBB and as far as I can see, Geno is in a good place.....

It feels different actually defending Geno.... but i will.... I admire his coaching acumen, as I do and have with others.... Tara, Muffet, Mulkey, of course Pat.

Geno is a different type.... from Philly, where you say it like it is.... that is insulting to some agreed.... but it is not a reflection on his coaching....

He has a bunch of national banners, he has been to 13 straight final 4s.... no he is not slipping.... i noticed who he has coming in next year.... it looks like Stanford, SC and UConn will be at the top for the next few years at least.....

Athletes go to his program because they want to get better. There is not a cloud of abuse over the program like he treats his players badly... Evina Westbrook's mother has not said anything about her daughter's treatment.... his record is such that I wouldn't criticize his accomplishments...

All the love for Dawn.... and yes she is a good coach.... but all the years of coaching and she has ONE national title..... one and a half if you count the banner she put up last year.... it is difficult to win in this era of college basketball..... it is not as easy as when you were Immaculata and all you had to do is get by Old Dominion.....

I keep a keen eye on WCBB and as far as I can see, Geno is in a good place.....

He is in a fine place, but that is based on his recruiting. There was a time when his approach was the pinnacle of coaching. Just like Pat Summitt had her time of coaching being the pinnacle. However, I think it has shown that in basketball as well as in life that a positive approach works better. Otherwise the past 4 years all of these recruiting wise outmatched teams would not be able to knock them out of the tournament.

Yes, he has had some of the games transcendent players. I think though if we compare the other UConn top players to their pro careers that maybe just being coached by Geno is not necessarily making them better for pro careers.

Be4 u start FYI ppl did u check their roster? Uconn has 3 Juniors and how many #1 recruits? How many schools in the competition has back to back #1 recruits in their team even if they're Freshmans? Give me Uconn team I will win. It doesn't matter Freshman they're 5top recruit with Williams #2 or 3 and ONO #5, then Evina #2 okkkk ..Team full of stars and Geno still crying were young, were dumb, were psyco and were immature lol

Williams was the #1 ranked recruit in her class and Bueckers is racking up her anointed POY awards as I type as this. There's no shortage of talent over there at Storrs.

To this day, Luigi remains a shameless self-promoter. Classic case of little man syndrome.

I’m hesitant to start a new thread as when I joined I got harshly criticized for starting them. However, I’ve not come across one discussing some questions I’ve had about Geno. The title is harsher than I’d like the content to be but I couldn’t resist.

My issue is that he flogs his players at every media opportunity that arises for him. It’s degrading and disrespectful. He came around in a time before sexual harassment had any real definition let alone teeth. Women were gaslit by white men to feel some semblance of power while being kept under the thumb of a rude man.

Now in the 2020s women are truly becoming empowered and are coaching empowerment and being built up rather than torn down to become better. Now we have middle ranked players outplaying the alleged cream of the crop.

Perhaps his style is outdated and a new era of basketball begins. I’d like to see players recognize this and move on.

You made a racist and sexist post. Not sure you should be criticizing someone else until you fix your own obvious demons.

Reactions: glv98
I am a Uconn fan.
And I have to find it amusing that the VolNation condemns a coach for being too hard on his players. Seem to remember lots of stories about Pat locking her players out of their locker room, forcing them to do their own laundry, the icy stare that could freeze your blood, etc. Pat was certainly never the soft and fuzzy coaching model, and Dawn isn't either. Big difference between coddling a player who just missed a bunny for the win, and sitting in a press conference after your team laid an egg in the semi-final and giving honest and long answers that get cut up into snappy tweets. Listen to the whole post game press conference and see what you really think.

He had a team of 3 juniors, 2 sophomores and 7 freshman (one a walk-on and one a HS senior early enrollee), so yes an exceptionally young team with little NCAA experience. With three more freshmen coming in and at the moment no one leaving it will get crowded next year and maybe some transfer - seems every college is dealing with the brave new world of frequent transfers.

As for how his team feels about him - search the web and see the videos of them interacting when he finally made it to San Antonio, or on his birthday.

And being washed up - how many teams have made it to the last four final fours - one. So they haven't won an NC in four long years - Stanford just won its first in 29 years and only 4 other teams have won one in the last eight years.

Reactions: jonson and mcannon1
I am a Uconn fan.
And I have to find it amusing that the VolNation condemns a coach for being too hard on his players. Seem to remember lots of stories about Pat locking her players out of their locker room, forcing them to do their own laundry, the icy stare that could freeze your blood, etc. Pat was certainly never the soft and fuzzy coaching model, and Dawn isn't either. Big difference between coddling a player who just missed a bunny for the win, and sitting in a press conference after your team laid an egg in the semi-final and giving honest and long answers that get cut up into snappy tweets. Listen to the whole post game press conference and see what you really think.
Exactly what I've been thinking. How ironic. This is the very forum that reveres the moment Pat grabbed MM by the jersey on national TV. Never seen Geno do anything remotely resembling that. If only our coach would return to the good ole days! Run em till they puke in trashcans! Hardassery is the answer to almost everything that ales the LVs according to most around here.

Pat did not shy away from calling teams out in interviews either. Part of why we deify her. She had her tough gal no bs public persona, Geno has the Philly guy version of that. And he wins an absurd amount of the time, even more than she did, which is the real reason we detest him, of course.

IMO this thread and OP go way too far. It's one thing to sports-hate a team, a coach, a player but this crap is beyond the pale. We have zero idea how Geno interacts with his team. We know the 5% of the interaction we watch on tv, but just like with Harper, you can't assume you have a clue what happens backstage. So the only evidence we have is that young women continue to flock to play for him and zero formal complaints have been filed. That's what we actually know. The rest is speculative, frankly defamatory bullcrap. And WTF does "gaslighting" have to do with anything. Just an overused accusation thrown around indiscriminately lately.

Before I climb down off the high horse, the continued use of "Luigi" re Geno bothers me as well. That's ethnic, pure and simple. I'm Irish and my grandparents hated the term 'Mick'. Same thing. I'm also bothered by "Karen" just in case you're wondering. IMO it would be a really good idea in the world at large if we just stop generalizing and stereotyping altogether.

I am a Uconn fan.

He had a team of 3 juniors, 2 sophomores and 7 freshman (one a walk-on and one a HS senior early enrollee), so yes an exceptionally young team with little NCAA experience. With three more freshmen coming in and at the moment no one leaving it will get crowded next year and maybe some transfer - seems every college is dealing with the brave new world of frequent transfers.

As for how his team feels about him - search the web and see the videos of them interacting when he finally made it to San Antonio, or on his birthday.

And being washed up - how many teams have made it to the last four final fours - one. So they haven't won an NC in four long years - Stanford just won its first in 29 years and only 4 other teams have won one in the last eight years.

LOL, you seemed like you needed that. Do you feel better...

Reactions: UCMiami
Exactly what I've been thinking. How ironic. This is the very forum that reveres the moment Pat grabbed MM by the jersey on national TV. Never seen Geno do anything remotely resembling that. If only our coach would return to the good ole days! Run em till they puke in trashcans! Hardassery is the answer to almost everything that ales the LVs according to most around here.

Pat did not shy away from calling teams out in interviews either. Part of why we deify her. She had her tough gal no bs public persona, Geno has the Philly guy version of that. And he wins an absurd amount of the time, even more than she did, which is the real reason we detest him, of course.

IMO this thread and OP go way too far. It's one thing to sports-hate a team, a coach, a player but this crap is beyond the pale. We have zero idea how Geno interacts with his team. We know the 5% of the interaction we watch on tv, but just like with Harper, you can't assume you have a clue what happens backstage. So the only evidence we have is that young women continue to flock to play for him and zero formal complaints have been filed. That's what we actually know. The rest is speculative, frankly defamatory bullcrap. And WTF does "gaslighting" have to do with anything. Just an overused accusation thrown around indiscriminately lately.

Before I climb down off the high horse, the continued use of "Luigi" re Geno bothers me as well. That's ethnic, pure and simple. I'm Irish and my grandparents hated the term 'Mick'. Same thing. I'm also bothered by "Karen" just in case you're wondering. IMO it would be a really good idea in the world at large if we just stop generalizing and stereotyping altogether.

i have no issue with anything you posted. Geno is Geno and love it or hate it he is a good coach. Am i glad i got to see that AZ knocked them out. Yup! Because it showed parity in the game... But he got them there.

To my more serious question... How many posters actually use the term Luigi on here? I think i have seen it used by the same one or two posters on here. @ them next time or have you reported them for the use of the term?

Reactions: LadyVol1908
i have no issue with anything you posted. Geno is Geno and love it or hate it he is a good coach. Am i glad i got to see that AZ knocked them out. Yup! Because it showed parity in the game... But he got them there.

To my more serious question... How many posters actually use the term Luigi on here? I think i have seen it used by the same one or two posters on here. @ them next time or have you reported them for the use of the term?
Nah, not widespread and I've tried to ignore it for a long time. Especially since I'm the one always saying don't tell others what to post not post. I don't ever report stuff. Just my 2 cents that the term seems ethnic to me. Seems like exactly the kind of stuff we're trying to stop.

I will say something here and it has not to do with Geno ......but frequently I reflect on how difficult it is to even get to the Final Four....

Women's sports has grown leaps and bounds.... volleyball softball hockey.... but especially basketball it is by far the #1 womens NCAA sport....and go way back to the Immaculata days.... and there was Cheney State.... Louisiana Tech.... Old Dominion..... but not the mainstream which would come with each passing year.... I have great respect for the teams who make it most years, but also the Arizonas.... the Syracuses.... and those teams who toil and sweat.... just to make it to the big stage.... it is not your grandmother's final four anymore..... it is hard in the modern era of WCBB to make it to the big stage.... and playing into this thread.... it takes an "A" dominant coach who demands from his/her players.... otherwise they sit home.

Reactions: UCMiami

VN Store

Back