'22 TN RB Jordan James (Oregon commit)

We got turned down by our first two choices and made another panic hire. Too any objective observer, Hoople looks like Butch Jones 2.0. Someday, maybe they’ll make a hire worthy of the program and fan base. Until then, BOHICA
From an unbiased perspective the hire seems like a home run. Tennessee’s AD hired a coach he was familiar with to update Tennessee’s offense. A coach with no baggage and experience was exactly what Tennessee needed. While he may be handicapped by transfers and incoming sanctions, he’ll still have more talent to work with than he had UCF and should stabilize the program. An elite offense can erase talent differential. Look at the UGA MSU game. MSU’s offense frustrated UGA and made it a 7 point game with only 55 scholarship players. If JTD doesn’t play in that game UGA likely would’ve lost.

We got turned down by our first two choices and made another panic hire. Too any objective observer, Hoople looks like Butch Jones 2.0. Someday, maybe they’ll make a hire worthy of the program and fan base. Until then, BOHICA
Yeah, Heupel is a guy that hasn't done anything in his career to pull top players right away.

He going to have to prove it on the field for elite recruits to buy in.

Yeah, Heupel is a guy that hasn't done anything in his career to pull top players right away.

That’s what people aren’t seeing, or are choosing to ignore. We have a decent roster for 2021 and should easily be bowl eligible, whether or not we can accept the invite. But we lose a ton next year and poor recruiting will be immediately noticeable in 2022 because they’re not going to have any choice but to play youth, which means more losses and nothing to sell to elite prospects in the 2023 class.

Lol. We aren’t gonna get a bunch of elite recruits for at least another 2-3 years. And that’s not in any shape form or fashion Heupels fault. That’s on Fulmer and gumpbread.

Funny how people wanna talk up how good of a coach Kiffin is. Yet Heupel waxed Kiffin the last 2 times they faced off.

I think the recent quote by the RB from Mississippi shows that Heupel and staff may be better recruiters than several here think. They started behind the 8 ball. They haven't been able to do visits or build relationships. Other programs knowing that are trying to close out commitments before UT can get in it or "prove" themselves to recruits.

I think the recent quote by the RB from Mississippi shows that Heupel and staff may be better recruiters than several here think. They started behind the 8 ball. They haven't been able to do visits or build relationships. Other programs knowing that are trying to close out commitments before UT can get in it or "prove" themselves to recruits.

Agree. The mess left by Pruitt coupled with the sanctions looming are what’s holding things back.

Reactions: PA Vol
From an unbiased perspective the hire seems like a home run. Tennessee’s AD hired a coach he was familiar with to update Tennessee’s offense. A coach with no baggage and experience was exactly what Tennessee needed. While he may be handicapped by transfers and incoming sanctions, he’ll still have more talent to work with than he had UCF and should stabilize the program. An elite offense can erase talent differential. Look at the UGA MSU game. MSU’s offense frustrated UGA and made it a 7 point game with only 55 scholarship players. If JTD doesn’t play in that game UGA likely would’ve lost.
He might have more talent at UT...might...but he didn't have to go head to head with SEC opponents every weekend either.

That’s what people aren’t seeing, or are choosing to ignore. We have a decent roster for 2021 and should easily be bowl eligible, whether or not we can accept the invite. But we lose a ton next year and poor recruiting will be immediately noticeable in 2022 because they’re not going to have any choice but to play youth, which means more losses and nothing to sell to elite prospects in the 2023 class.
I like how you quote the rare mouth breather that echos your sentiment, but you won’t reply to anyone with a legit response to your random spewing

There are definitely some good recruiters on staff. I think the VOLS will follow a similar trajectory, albeit with a higher ceiling, as Drinkowitz (sp?) at Mizzou. Recruiting was subpar at first, but then, once players got to see a good product on the field, recruiting picked up big time.

Decensive recruiting is my only concern at this time. Offense will have plenty of firepower.

There are definitely some good recruiters on staff. I think the VOLS will follow a similar trajectory, albeit with a higher ceiling, as Drinkowitz (sp?) at Mizzou. Recruiting was subpar at first, but then, once players got to see a good product on the field, recruiting picked up big time.

Decensive recruiting is my only concern at this time. Offense will have plenty of firepower.
We have an elite defensive recruiter in Garner...level we haven’t had since he departed. And I don’t see any liabilities on that side.

Just saw the commitment to UGA because I've been off the recruiting board. This staff has a lot of work to do and has underwhelmed at this point. Big loss and looks like more to come.
You do know how recruiting works, Right? You’ve done this is a couple threads now. Recruiting is about relationships, and players typically aren't going to commit to a coach when he’s been on the job for 3-4 weeks at the time of a commitment. Oh, and it’s not 1998 anymore.

You do know how recruiting works, Right? You’ve done this is a couple threads now. Recruiting is about relationships, and players typically aren't going to commit to a coach when he’s been on the job for 3-4 weeks at the time of a commitment. Oh, and it’s not 1998 anymore.

Yes, I made the same statement in two threads because I haven't been coming on the recruiting board because the staff has done much to get excited about. There are a lot of staff's that can get instant wins in recruiting when you have the right guys. I don't have to run down the list. So I'm just finding out we are losing in state players to Alabama and Georgia. Notice top players in their states wait it out and keep programs on a string before telling everyone they are staying home.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Yes, I made the same statement in two threads because I haven't been coming on the recruiting board because the staff has done much to get excited about. There are a lot of staff's that can get instant wins in recruiting when you have the right guys. I don't have to run down the list. So I'm just finding out we are losing in state players to Alabama and Georgia. Notice top players in their states wait it out and keep programs on a string before telling everyone they are staying home.
Problem is twofold: we’ve lost relevance (and will take strong game day and development coach to break that cycle) and middle Tennessee is full of transplants with little Tennessee ties. Add to this the stupid ncaa dead period for Covid. CJH is on quite a few high 4 star players though. Watch for some quality names to start popping soon.

Richt was a decent HC, and a very good man but he was a bit soft and held on to Willie Martinez much too long, which may have cost him a NC. If you listen to Kirby in pressers, he's a very bright guy and is poised and well spoken, and thinks quickly on his feet. I don't believe that Richt had quite the IQ and the drive that Kirby has. Kirby's more cut out to be a HC and Richt was more cut out to be an OC.
DA alert.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
He might have more talent at UT...might...but he didn't have to go head to head with SEC opponents every weekend either.
That’s true, but there are plenty of examples of good scheme carrying over. If the goal was to quickly hire a coach with experience, no baggage, and someone that can update Tennessee’s offense, then the AD succeeded. No way to tell how the hire will work out long term, but Tennessee should be better immediately considering how the game has changed to favor offense.

Seeing who liked this post tells us all we need to know.

These kids don't know him like that and what ppl aren't seeing is kids from Fla aren't going crazy to follow him here either. A comparison of a guy getting a job and kids following is Charlie Strong. Guys from Fla followed him to Louisville and TX because they know of his reputation to produce Pros on defense and for all the cute offensive stuff kids don't really know of Heuple. It's gonna tk 2 or 3 yrs to establish himself and prove what he can do. Even with the guy everyone chooses to hate in Pruitt he had a reputation to kids as an elite DC who would get them to the Pros and Heuple doesn't hv that. He was just an easy hire for White when he couldn't sell the situation and job to anyone else or wouldn't pay a premium to get an elite name. We've had conversations with him and he talks the talk and kids hear it but they want to see it. So you're likely looking to 23 or 24 until they see it. Also the dysfunction has caused some parents to say naw not UT until we can see some continuity and the water have calmed in Knoxville. The goal is to get to the next level and right now UT just hasn't been the right path for kids to get there via the draft.

These kids don't know him like that and what ppl aren't seeing is kids from Fla aren't going crazy to follow him here either. A comparison of a guy getting a job and kids following is Charlie Strong. Guys from Fla followed him to Louisville and TX because they know of his reputation to produce Pros on defense and for all the cute offensive stuff kids don't really know of Heuple. It's gonna tk 2 or 3 yrs to establish himself and prove what he can do. Even with the guy everyone chooses to hate in Pruitt he had a reputation to kids as an elite DC who would get them to the Pros and Heuple doesn't hv that. He was just an easy hire for White when he couldn't sell the situation and job to anyone else or wouldn't pay a premium to get an elite name. We've had conversations with him and he talks the talk and kids hear it but they want to see it. So you're likely looking to 23 or 24 until they see it. Also the dysfunction has caused some parents to say naw not UT until we can see some continuity and the water have calmed in Knoxville. The goal is to get to the next level and right now UT just hasn't been the right path for kids to get there via the draft.
Overall agree but you’ve gotta realize eventually that pruitt proved himself to be a fraud. He had three years here to show his coaching chops and it never materialized. His defenses still could not line up in year 3. Without his daddy (Saban) he was garbage

VN Store

Back