It’s there for the taking

BruinVol

College baseball has never been in a better spot to capitalize on a group of fans that are willing and starving to support it more than ever before.

I don’t want to make this into a political thread but let’s be honest there are countless people that will take their $ other places than professional baseball. Minor league baseball was already dying and the market is clearly for the taking.

It’s time for college baseball to be moved back a month, schools to make college baseball the new spectator sport by spending $ on facilities/marketing and scenes like we see at MSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss and LSU ne common place across the country.

With a few exceptions, pro sports never really had my attention. Thankfully more college sports are on T.V. than ever before.

Baseball has problems that unfortunately will make it America's Pastime as in that sport that Americans used to play. These problems are not caused by poltics or supporting one cause.

Kids do not play baseball anymore. Atleast not in a high enough percentage to support MLB. Its really sad and I don't like it but the combination of a lack of patience, equipment and mentors will be the demise of baseball.

If you look at Adult baseball leagues, they struggle. Its easier to find guys in their 50's that want to play ball than 30's. Why? Some of it has to do with life. Younger guys have families and less expendable income. Mostly because late 20's and 30's did not really grow up playing the game like 50+.

So most seem to agree with the overall Theme but is now the time to entertain real discussion about a season that runs into July??

I think nows the time to do it

With a few exceptions, pro sports never really had my attention. Thankfully more college sports are on T.V. than ever before.

Baseball has problems that unfortunately will make it America's Pastime as in that sport that Americans used to play. These problems are not caused by poltics or supporting one cause.

Kids do not play baseball anymore. Atleast not in a high enough percentage to support MLB. Its really sad and I don't like it but the combination of a lack of patience, equipment and mentors will be the demise of baseball.

If you look at Adult baseball leagues, they struggle. Its easier to find guys in their 50's that want to play ball than 30's. Why? Some of it has to do with life. Younger guys have families and less expendable income. Mostly because late 20's and 30's did not really grow up playing the game like 50+.

You are wrong about kids not playing baseball anymore. Local league ball organizations are staying steady all over America. The crazy thing is travel baseball participation is at an all time high. Perfect Game’s Wood World Bat annual tournament would host 100-150 teams 10 years ago but now they are turning down teams. They had nearly 400 teams participate pre-pandemic at a cost of $2500 per team. Keep in mind that is 1 age group at nearly 400 teams. They host 1 per age group 13-18u.

Baseball is bigger now than ever before in the United States.

Totally agree Bruin.....professional sports in general have lost my dollar over the years and the college sports just seem to be more entertaining for me personally.
For a decade, I had 7 Astros season tickets, a banner at Minute Maid Park and an endorsement of at least one player. This year none of that.

Reactions: BruinVol
You are wrong about kids not playing baseball anymore. Local league ball organizations are staying steady all over America. The crazy thing is travel baseball participation is at an all time high. Perfect Game’s Wood World Bat annual tournament would host 100-150 teams 10 years ago but now they are turning down teams. They had nearly 400 teams participate pre-pandemic at a cost of $2500 per team. Keep in mind that is 1 age group at nearly 400 teams. They host 1 per age group 13-18u.

I think the fact that many parents are discouraging their kids from playing football is helping the baseball participation also.

I'd like to see better media coverage of college baseball. ESPN barely mentions it on their website.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I think the fact that many parents are discouraging their kids from playing football is helping the baseball participation also.

I'd like to see better media coverage of college baseball. ESPN barely mentions it on their website.

I think you could be onto something with the football theory. No doubt though that baseball is absolutely thriving among our youth.

I admit that I don’t read ESPN when it comes to baseball. Better in depth coverage of the sport (high school, college, MLB) by D1 Baseball and Baseball America. Baseball is all they cover and they are tuned into the sport like no other.

Reactions: txbo
I need to start following VOL Baseball more. I can no longer get the Braves on TV with Dish network. I was a huge Falcon fan, but I can't even tell you how they did last season. Stopped watching the Hawks years ago. Letting males play women's sports will eventually ruin the women's games at all levels. Pro sports could shut down now and I wouldn't care except to provide an opportunity for college athletes who want a sports career.

College baseball has never been in a better spot to capitalize on a group of fans that are willing and starving to support it more than ever before.

I don’t want to make this into a political thread but let’s be honest there are countless people that will take their $ other places than professional baseball. Minor league baseball was already dying and the market is clearly for the taking.

It’s time for college baseball to be moved back a month, schools to make college baseball the new spectator sport by spending $ on facilities/marketing and scenes like we see at MSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss and LSU ne common place across the country.

I’ve been saying this since TV/Streaming was on the horizon. Change comes slowly at Tennessee but change is coming whether they like it or not.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I’ve been saying this since TV/Streaming was on the horizon. Change comes slowly at Tennessee but change is coming whether they like it or not.
Lindsey Nelson Stadium has the space & is about to be one of the very best facilities in the country IMO.
CTV has plans and I feel like the time is now to get started with those plans. Imagine an atmosphere like Miss St on the Volunteer campus. Get ready for an electric baseball atmosphere because it is on the horizon.

Lindsey Nelson Stadium has the space & is about to be one of the very best facilities in the country IMO.
CTV has plans and I feel like the time is now to get started with those plans. Imagine an atmosphere like Miss St on the Volunteer campus. Get ready for an electric baseball atmosphere because it is on the horizon.

We have been discussing the facilities for years here. In all that time, nearly every school in the conference has invested in their baseball programs, we did put in the new turf, the scoreboard, but compared to the other schools, especially the top tier ones, we are so, so far behind. I liked our chances better with Fulmer, he loves baseball.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
We have been discussing the facilities for years here. In all that time, nearly every school in the conference has invested in their baseball programs, we did put in the new turf, the scoreboard, but compared to the other schools, especially the top tier ones, we are so, so far behind. I liked our chances better with Fulmer, he loves baseball.

Didn't the dam scoreboard even sit in a box for a couple years before someone decided to put it up?

I'm in complete agreement that professional sports have lost their appeal, but baseball is a step ahead of the other professional sports. It was the first game I played on an organized level and I can't see myself turning my back on the MLB. I was late to get on on the college baseball bus, and I often kick myself for not applauding these kids for taking the college route. Thoroughly agree that the media largely ignores the college game and thrilled to hear youth participation is on its way back. I applaud ESPN for making the college game something we can all enjoy.

I see the $ in the idea but im going to say no. School usually ends in early May. Baseball teams already have to spend another month on campus if they are in the post season. Im not a fan of making kids stay on campus another month after school ends. Let them go home and see their families. I understand a lot of athletes take summer classes, but a lot of these are online and can be done from home.

I see the $ in the idea but im going to say no. School usually ends in early May. Baseball teams already have to spend another month on campus if they are in the post season. Im not a fan of making kids stay on campus another month after school ends. Let them go home and see their families. I understand a lot of athletes take summer classes, but a lot of these are online and can be done from home.

A large majority to play in summer leagues anyways

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH

That's about as ridiculous as a statement as I've ever seen. Also I hate to break it to you but youth participation doesn't equate to adult interest; if that were the case soccer would have taken over as the top sport in the United States a long time ago.

Ratings and interesting in MLB has been on a steady decline for probably over a decade at least. The problem isn't politics or pro or anything, it's the interest in the game period as a spectator sport is dying. People find the game boring, people are tired of the silly unwritten rules that get grown men whining like babies. That aspect isn't changing at all. The idea that if you push the college game is going to save that is....sorry a bit laughable. College baseball gets a blip in the grand scheme of sports and I'd like to see some actual data to back up about these "countless fans" that will jump at switching to college ball over MLB. I don't mean the anecdotal evidence of "I know 10 people that will!" posted on a college baseball board.

That's about as ridiculous as a statement as I've ever seen. Also I hate to break it to you but youth participation doesn't equate to adult interest; if that were the case soccer would have taken over as the top sport in the United States a long time ago.

Ratings and interesting in MLB has been on a steady decline for probably over a decade at least. The problem isn't politics or pro or anything, it's the interest in the game period as a spectator sport is dying. People find the game boring, people are tired of the silly unwritten rules that get grown men whining like babies. That aspect isn't changing at all. The idea that if you push the college game is going to save that is....sorry a bit laughable. College baseball gets a blip in the grand scheme of sports and I'd like to see some actual data to back up about these "countless fans" that will jump at switching to college ball over MLB. I don't mean the anecdotal evidence of "I know 10 people that will!" posted on a college baseball board.
Okay pal, I guess those 9u-15u tournaments have children driving themselves to the park. Doubt their parents and other adult relatives that attend dislike baseball. Your original premise was that the game was lost on our youth (“not enough kids playing to support MLB in the future”). I merely pointed out that baseball has never and I mean never been played by so many in the United States.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711
A large majority to play in summer leagues anyways

That’s always the issue about moving back the season right? All of these kinds of institutions built up around the college game? The draft, the summer leagues, scouting, etc..

Seems like we can invest in the program and see the potential in tv contracts without moving the season to me.

Reactions: drawing dead

I don't think anyone has suggested that an increase in the college game interest would equate to an increase in MLB.

Reactions: drawing dead
That’s always the issue about moving back the season right? All of these kinds of institutions built up around the college game? The draft, the summer leagues, scouting, etc..

Seems like we can invest in the program and see the potential in tv contracts without moving the season to me.

Can’t make $ on ticket sales in February and March in most of the country

VN Store

Back