Roy Wliams retiring at UNC

I’m not sure why it’s so important to stay in the family. Seems like it’s a much bigger risk to go that route than to hire a sure thing.

In most cases, yes. But they have a very deep and accomplished “family” to chose from.

With that said, however, the last former player they hired as HC (Doherty) was a complete failure. It’s really hit-or-miss no matter how you hire a coach.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
If this were a serious possibility (I have strong doubts but I did about UCLA as well), I think it would be really bad timing for us. Two talented assistants who may have been looked at as successors are gone (though I guess either could be lured back). Lanier has not been amazing the last two years. Can't imagine the athletic department is flush with cash right now with the pandemic and hiring a new football coach (and either buying out or fighting in the court with the previous one)

That being said I'm not worried yet, like Dallas said, seems very improbable

Rick is just some random name thrown out by the journalists to drive clicks.

It's Hubert Davis, which IMO is a dumb choice, but UNC wants a UNC guy.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin

Ole Hubbie is the next UNC coach lol. The fact UNC cannot land a better candidate than this just kind of shows that in this modern era of college basketball, traditional powers are no better off than a place like Alabama or Tennessee. You can win anywhere.

Ole Hubbie is the next UNC coach lol. The fact UNC cannot land a better candidate than this just kind of shows that in this modern era of college basketball, traditional powers are no better off than a place like Alabama or Tennessee. You can win anywhere.

UNC might as well just hire Michael Jordan if they’re going that route.

Reactions: golfballs

I was just going to post this. For all those posters who throw around these elite coaches who would come to UT, this shows them the reality. UNC is hiring Hubert Davis, with no head coaching experience.

When you’re UNC and you “swing for the fences”, that means approaching Brad Stevens.

Rick is just some random name thrown out by the journalists to drive clicks.

It's Hubert Davis, which IMO is a dumb choice, but UNC wants a UNC guy.

It isn't a great choice and has a real Matt Doherty type vibe to it, but at the same time, if I'm Carolina, I'd probably rather have Hubert Davis at $2.5 million than Rick Barnes at $6 million.

VN Store

Back