UT/UA SEC Stat Comparison

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
320dc897-a6e1-49dd-989f-95dd5faa8c20-jpeg.359643
ABB821C9-70DB-48F5-A910-84FB551B7F7D.jpeg

Here’s another one.

We’ve had 16 AB’s (SEC Only), with bases loaded, a league high.

We’re batting .125, a league low.

Flip the script on that and we’re talking about getting something done. I realize in many of those instances we didn’t hit our way on, lots of walks helped.

Here’s another one.

We’ve had 16 AB’s (SEC Only), with bases loaded, a league high.

We’re batting .125, a league low.

Flip the script on that and we’re talking about getting something done. I realize in many of those instances we didn’t hit our way on, lots of walks helped.

LSU helped us out a lot with walks.

Reactions: vol66
As a former player and long-time coach, I never get too wrapped up in batting averages. I think quality at bats (QAB) is just as or even more important. Moving runners, 7-8 pitch at bats, hitting behind runners, hard hits. There are several categories. In other words, hits are great, but is the player at least generating productive outs. The goal is to score runs. Whatever it takes....by base hit or other means.

As a former player and long-time coach, I never get too wrapped up in batting averages. I think quality at bats (QAB) is just as or even more important. Moving runners, 7-8 pitch at bats, hitting behind runners, hard hits. There are several categories. In other words, hits are great, but is the player at least generating productive outs. The goal is to score runs. Whatever it takes....by base hit or other means.

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had some timely hitting and Pete Derkay especially has been effective moving runners. That said, in the game threads, this year, there’s been a lot of, “how many have we left on?” type posts. So, In looking across stats I saw the above and thought it to be eye catching.

I mean, I am looking at 6 games against a couple of teams that at best haven’t hit their stride. Obviously, you know a helluva lot more than me.

There is no doubt about it that BA is worthless with just 6 games. As the ABs add up the QABs start to correlate with BA to some degree but the sample size has to be large

As long as we are getting on base and getting great run production, I don’t care what the BA is. We are doing very well in most of the major offensive categories.57E598FF-B6B9-47F9-817A-789A70F3F6B0.jpegB1BA7577-3296-4870-BA08-C3CF7CA7D43E.jpeg

Batting average is a dead man walking. Us being 10th in BA and yet having a functional offense--with the 3rd best OPS--is exhibit A of why.

Whether we're finding kids with great plate discipline, or the coaches are teaching them great plate discipline... either way, credit to them!

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had some timely hitting and Pete Derkay especially has been effective moving runners. That said, in the game threads, this year, there’s been a lot of, “how many have we left on?” type posts. So, In looking across stats I saw the above and thought it to be eye catching.

I mean, I am looking at 6 games against a couple of teams that at best haven’t hit their stride. Obviously, you know a helluva lot more than me.

I’m just saying that QABs mean a lot too. But I also didn’t say that we are doing good in that category either. Ha. I agree that we are leaving a ton of guys on base. Over a long season maybe it will even out.

I’m just saying that QABs mean a lot too. But I also didn’t say that we are doing good in that category either. Ha. I agree that we are leaving a ton of guys on base. Over a long season maybe it will even out.

I agree with all that and certainly we’re getting better at bats over the last couple weeks than at the beginning of the season. Alabama is better than their record might indicate, Ole Miss and Arkansas, is a brutal schedule to start out SEC play.

Reactions: StarRaider
Team Chemistry
Will to win and a team of Gamers will get it done, this team is just fun and grinds and hit you in the face type baseball , someone seems to show up when needed. Bottom line the Vols baseball is good. Just wait and see. This team ain’t going away !! Pitching , Defense and a line up that can go yard in a a hurry and don’t mind running into a wall if needed . I ran a realistic forecast of what I saw this team doing in SEC play and I think they will finish close to 18-12 ... say I am wrong my two games. Win 2-3 this weekend and we are setting at 7-2.... I don’t know what any of the averages will be but I guarantee you , they will arise to the occasion when it comes. Omaha ain’t a stretch this year. Let the bats get Hot at the right time.... we don’t want to be at a high in March.... this teams resolve is amazing !!The schedule and situations this team has seen already is remarkable!
things to consider. ... most of our consistent hitters haven’t even hit half stride. ... hang on boys when they get Hot as a team and this pitching staff develops into Post season mode ....

Reactions: txbo and vol66
Not a basketball follower, been following baseball for 5-6 years now and that’s based on my honest opinion and I haven’t missed to many home games. And there’s a difference than the past 4-5 years. Would have done great things last year too. But that’s something we will never know. This team isa top tier SEC team ! ThAts all I am saying

Reactions: orangemadam
Not a basketball follower, been following baseball for 5-6 years now and that’s based on my honest opinion and I haven’t missed to many home games. And there’s a difference than the past 4-5 years. Would have done great things last year too. But that’s something we will never know. This team isa top tier SEC team ! ThAts all I am saying
Totally agree top tier for sure. Leadership in the dugout for sure.

VN Store

Back