Coach Vitello's Contract

So, we should start looking for another coach now? I'm sure there are any number of Todd Ralieghs out there.
No, you leaped to illogical conclusions without detail or context in formulating your anticipated timeline in your mind. A long term plan will need to be executed, however. That in no way constitutes "now". Identifying candidates and signing Tony to a contract that provides some financial reimbursement for his departure would be prudent, though.

No, you leaped to illogical conclusions without detail or context in formulating your anticipated timeline in your mind. A long term plan will need to be executed, however. That in no way constitutes "now". Identifying candidates and signing Tony to a contract that provides some financial reimbursement for his departure would be prudent, though.
Excuse me, but I thought your point was that there was no way in hell we could keep Vitello.

Reactions: txbo
I would start negotiations now if Vitello is willing mid season. Extend him even longer, give him a big raise, and make it harder for others to get him easily (more buyout to UT should he leave).

Then sit down with DW after the season and get to work on a long term plan for the ballpark. That can be whatever Tony and PF had planned, or something new that DW envisions.

This is obviously best case scenario.

Excuse me, but I thought your point was that there was no way in hell we could keep Vitello.
Long-term, correct. You still extend him with a nice buyout on him if he departs for another job. A list does not need to be made with the next year or two in mind, but beyond that, it warrants planning. The buyout is for when a suitor comes for him that he will not turn down, so you get some financial return to assist in the process of hiring the next coach.

It is but no reason Tennessee can’t be as good.....give him the facilities and pay the man...... look at where he already has this program headed.
Amen! If Tennessee lets him get stolen, they should consign Vol baseball to the same level as bowling.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’ve never understood the lack of support or lackadaisical attitude for baseball from our fanbase (especially students) even in the “good days”. My first year at UT was the 2005 CWS team and I didn’t miss a home game unless a scheduling conflict simply made it impossible to be there. As a student, I couldn’t imagine what else you had to do on a beautiful spring weekend that would keep you away from the ballpark for that team. Out of a student body of 26k, there’s no reason we shouldn’t have had at least 1-2k students there on any given day, yet we were lucky to have 2k in the stands total.
Two reasons for the attitude are Todd Raleigh and Dave Serrano. If TV keeps winning the fans will follow

Reactions: Backwards K
If I'm UT, I'm investing big money on not only his contract but facilities. I take this program to a level that can stand toe to toe with Vandy, LSU, etc. Make this job so damned sweet that he won't give Arky a second look. Hell, he's easily the best coach on campus and it's not close.

If I'm UT, I'm investing big money on not only his contract but facilities. I take this program to a level that can stand toe to toe with Vandy, LSU, etc. Make this job so damned sweet that he won't give Arky a second look. Hell, he's easily the best coach on campus and it's not close.

I would like this 1000 times if I could!!!!

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Two reasons for the attitude are Todd Raleigh and Dave Serrano. If TV keeps winning the fans will follow
I was in school with Delmonico, my first year being the 2005 CWS team, and we couldn’t get more than 2k for most weekend series that year. The exception being the Arkansas series because it was the O&W weekend so a lot of people came in early or stuck around afterwards. The Saturday night game was right around 3,500 and it was a great environment. Closest thing to being at a big-time SEC venue that I’ve experienced in LNS.

I was in school with Delmonico, my first year being the 2005 CWS team, and we couldn’t get more than 2k for most weekend series that year. The exception being the Arkansas series because it was the O&W weekend so a lot of people came in early or stuck around afterwards. The Saturday night game was right around 3,500 and it was a great environment. Closest thing to being at a big-time SEC venue that I’ve experienced in LNS.

This is a fair point. What I would say is this... football and basketball tickets were affordable back then and baseball was off the radar a bit and it was taken for granted that we’d be decent most years.

Now, the ticket price for football, for season tickets...I can’t do it. There’s much more room for growth in baseball if, big if, if we can field a top shelf team.

UT baseball could pay for itself if there’s a vision. That is also a big if, I get that, but the University President is a baseball fan, he also knows a wise investment and UT baseball right now and in the near future is a wise investment.

They draw 10k fans on a nightly basis which leads to greater revenue which leads to better facilities which leads to better recruiting etc. Not to mention, Arkansas offers in-state tuition rates or in-state + X % (greatly reduced vs. purely out of state) to all students from any state that touches Arkansas. This allows them to greatly expand their recruiting footprint while at the same time stretching scholarship dollars further, in a sport where scholarships are limited and at a premium.

They have modern and I mean big time modern - $50-$70 million dollars worth - of ball park.

The very best recruits love these new ball parks at Ark, Fl, Miss St, Ole Miss.

Vitello has the vision, he has talked about major upgrades in the past. We better get to it though before it’s too late.

VN Store

Back