Will Wade gave it

He made me pull for a Juwan Howard coached Michigan team that is a #1 seed. That’s how much I dislike that guy.
Damn, that's a lot. As big of a joke as his situation is I still wanted LSU to beat Michigan.

The most amazing thing about Wade's story, even more crazy than being caught on wiretap talking about paying players, is that he told LSU to F off during their investigation and LSU more or less went "Well, OK" and let him keep his job.

What employer, if they suspected an employee of being involved in serious professional misconduct, would let the employee keep their job if they refused to cooperate in an internal investigation into said misconduct? And they have you on wiretap talking about a "strong ass offer" to a recruit? It's unbelievable, even by NCAA standards.

Damn, that's a lot. As big of a joke as his situation is I still wanted LSU to beat Michigan.

The most amazing thing about Wade's story, even more crazy than being caught on wiretap talking about paying players, is that he told LSU to F off during their investigation and LSU more or less went "Well, OK" and let him keep his job.

What employer, if they suspected an employee of being involved in serious professional misconduct, would let the employee keep their job if they refused to cooperate in an internal investigation into said misconduct? And they have you on wiretap talking about a "strong ass offer" to a recruit? It's unbelievable, even by NCAA standards.

Karma will eventually catch up to the guy

It’s really unbelievable. Like, hello, is anyone else seeing this? You know federal wiretap? LSU, NCAA?
tenor.gif

It’s really unbelievable. Like, hello, is anyone else seeing this? You know federal wiretap? LSU, NCAA?
tenor.gif
It's proof that it is impossible to be too cynical about the NCAA. If you came to me a few years ago and asked something like "What if they caught a coach on wiretap talking about paying a player in no uncertain terms, and that coach then refused to answer questions from his school about it?" I would probably have said "Well that coach would definitely be fired." But here we are with Will Wade.

Reactions: tbh
It's proof that it is impossible to be too cynical about the NCAA. If you came to me a few years ago and asked something like "What if they caught a coach on wiretap talking about paying a player in no uncertain terms, and that coach then refused to answer questions from his school about it?" I would probably have said "Well that coach would definitely be fired." But here we are with Will Wade.
And yet here we are confessing to a crime that only a (literally) family member would’ve known about, and didnt even attempt to clean up the crime scene after committing the crime.

And yet here we are confessing to a crime that only a (literally) family member would’ve known about, and didnt even attempt to clean up the crime scene after committing the crime.
You referring to Pruitt? We only wanted Pruitt gone because he sucked. If Wade sucked, I'm sure LSU would have tried to fire him for cause as well.

It's just hilarious that the NCAA hasn't vaporized LSU's basketball program for what they know for a fact Wade was involved in. LSU isn't even a blue blood or historical power, which makes it more surprising. I get why the NCAA would slow play it with their football program, but basketball? That's prime "let's make an example out of them" material. Lots of name recognition, make it look like you're enforcing the rules, but not one of the premier programs. Kind of like what they did with Bruce Pearl.

You referring to Pruitt? We only wanted Pruitt gone because he sucked. If Wade sucked, I'm sure LSU would have tried to fire him for cause as well.

It's just hilarious that the NCAA hasn't vaporized LSU's basketball program for what they know for a fact Wade was involved in. LSU isn't even a blue blood or historical power, which makes it more surprising. I get why the NCAA would slow play it with their football program, but basketball? That's prime "let's make an example out of them" material. Lots of name recognition, make it look like you're enforcing the rules, but not one of the premier programs. Kind of like what they did with Bruce Pearl.
True. I think I was more or less taking issue with our approach with our indiscretions. If we wanted Pruitt gone we should’ve just fired him. I’m afraid the eventual sanctions as well as just staying in purgatory waiting for our sentence may cost more in the long run. This whole “Forgive me Father for I have sinned” routine better payoff or else we will look like fools when LSU, Kansas, Arizona and others basically tell the NCAA to F off and so far have gotten off free of penalty.

LSU is cheaters from top to bottom. Ask Les and the former president!
Yep. I'm not sure if there has been an athletic program that has gotten worse press the last year or so, and perhaps only Penn St and Baylor have gotten worse press over the last decade.

Correct if wrong, but over the last couple of years we've found out about the Derrius Guice situation, Les's indiscretions, the Will Wade saga, and the guy who took money from a hospital and supposedly used it to pay players.

Yep. I'm not sure if there has been an athletic program that has gotten worse press the last year or so, and perhaps only Penn St and Baylor have gotten worse press over the last decade.

Correct if wrong, but over the last couple of years we've found out about the Derrius Guice situation, Les's indiscretions, the Will Wade saga, and the guy who took money from a hospital and supposedly used it to pay players.
***Children’s Hospital ***

True. I think I was more or less taking issue with our approach with our indiscretions. If we wanted Pruitt gone we should’ve just fired him. I’m afraid the eventual sanctions as well as just staying in purgatory waiting for our sentence may cost more in the long run. This whole “Forgive me Father for I have sinned” routine better payoff or else we will look like fools when LSU, Kansas, Arizona and others basically tell the NCAA to F off and so far have gotten off free of penalty.
Maybe they knew or suspected that the NCAA would eventually find out about it anyway, so they figured might as well air it publicly and use it as justification to fire our terrible coach.

I think the hiring of Danny White, in addition to him simply being an AD with a pretty good resume, is also about getting in the good graces of the NCAA. He comes from a family that is college administration royalty and very highly thought of. There is a strong "See, we hired this great guy and fired our cheating coach and the AD who hired him...please go easy on us" angle to this.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Maybe they knew or suspected that the NCAA would eventually find out about it anyway, so they figured might as well air it publicly and use it as justification to fire our terrible coach.

I think the hiring of Danny White, in addition to him simply being an AD with a pretty good resume, is also about getting in the good graces of the NCAA. He comes from a family that is college administration royalty and very highly thought of. There is a strong "See, we hired this great guy and fired our cheating coach and the AD who hired him...please go easy on us" angle to this.
I’m just hoping the angle pays off. If we still get hammered we will look like morons. We’re basically betting on the NCAA to do the right thing, and that scares me.

I’m just hoping the angle pays off. If we still get hammered we will look like morons. We’re basically betting on the NCAA to do the right thing, and that scares me.
A (small) reason for optimism, IMO, is that with all of this overhanging Danny White still came here. He's a smart, well-connected guy and perhaps he has some inkling or suspicion that the NCAA isn't going to go scorched earth on us.

I still am shocked we were able to get him and, quite frankly, I'm shocked he wanted to come here (I know that sounds bad). He had a great job at UCF, and if he wanted to stay there a few more years he would have gotten other opportunities as well. He's not a desperate guy who would have had Tennessee as his best and only offer for the rest of his career. His football coach hire left something to be desired, but I think that's a function of simply not being able to attract a top candidate here right now. I do think he aimed pretty high.

Not only that, but it appears as though Javonte Smart (the recipient of Wade's "strong ass offer") will be allowed to complete his four years of eligibility as LSU. Smart has already played two seasons since the FBI wiretapped call between Wade and Christian Dawkins became a matter of public record.

VN Store

Back