Candidates

He literally was quoted as saying so...don’t recall if it was after Pearl, Tyndall or Martin but he did an interview and was upset he didn’t get a serious look.

I'm just saying what I have been told.............let's just say it's from a very reliable source.:)

They won a PLAY-IN game.

And UCLA moves on to the next round, probably going to land in the sweet 16, still wonder if Barnes is rethinking an opportunity to coach under the statue of Wooden, doesn't seem to have the fire since he became the highest paid state employee in the history of the state of Tennessee

I'd take Shaka all day over Barnes right now. He's only 43. Texas has two 20+ win seasons under him. Tennessee has two under Barnes. Texas has been to 3 NCAA tournaments and Tennessee 3 under Barnes. Texas won the conference tournament championship this year. Texas won more games this year and we both lost in the 1st round.

Overall he's been to 9 of the last 11 NCAA tournaments and went to the Final Four in that span. Barnes last 4 years at Texas he lost in the 1st round of the CBI once, the 1st round of the NCAA tournament 2 times and won 1 game once.

All in all Barnes won 3 post season games beyond conference tournaments in his last 7 years at Texas and no conference titles of any kind.

Texas wasn't wrong for getting rid of Barnes and hiring Smart in his mid to late 30s will pay off if they don't fire him this year.
This was Rick Barnes 3rd best season in terms of W/L and postseason results at UT and it was identical to Shaka’s which was his best. Shaka was handed a much more stable situation than Barnes and has overwhelmingly underachieved. This is the first year he lost less than 12 games; it took him 6 years.

I don't think under any circumstances will Tennessee be able to hire a top shelf nationally known head basketball coach. You can bank on the hire being either an up and comer or a retread.

You’re right.

The ones saying we could easily pull a big name are being unrealistic.

Reactions: Border Vol
I'd take Shaka all day over Barnes right now. He's only 43. Texas has two 20+ win seasons under him. Tennessee has two under Barnes. Texas has been to 3 NCAA tournaments and Tennessee 3 under Barnes. Texas won the conference tournament championship this year. Texas won more games this year and we both lost in the 1st round.

Overall he's been to 9 of the last 11 NCAA tournaments and went to the Final Four in that span. Barnes last 4 years at Texas he lost in the 1st round of the CBI once, the 1st round of the NCAA tournament 2 times and won 1 game once.

All in all Barnes won 3 post season games beyond conference tournaments in his last 7 years at Texas and no conference titles of any kind.

Texas wasn't wrong for getting rid of Barnes and hiring Smart in his mid to late 30s will pay off if they don't fire him this year.

Whatever you want to believe. Talk about the end justifying the means. That last sentence...lol.

And UCLA moves on to the next round, probably going to land in the sweet 16, still wonder if Barnes is rethinking an opportunity to coach under the statue of Wooden, doesn't seem to have the fire since he became the highest paid state employee in the history of the state of Tennessee
There’s no difference from the guy we hired...we just manufacture differences cuz $5 mil. There’s no “rethinking”. He was prepared to go until they reneged on the buyout. And if we had lost him, it would be another whining talking point.

I'm just saying what I have been told.............let's just say it's from a very reliable source.:)
Then why do the interviews stating otherwise. Maybe your source is ******* with you?

Posted this in another thread, but shaka’s lost in the first round of each of his last 5 tournament appearances to a 12, 10, 11, 7 and 14 seed. His teams have made it out of the second round 1 time.

Reactions: Border Vol
Candidate, yes. Did he really want to leave Belmont?

Ugh......I guarantee you he is not. Unless he is flat out lying, which I don't believe he would lie to me.;)
Whole point of being a CANDIDATE! You don’t throw your hat in the ring.

How do you GUARANTEE it? Got recordings? Signed statements? Maybe he lied to you to you to buy time for security to arrive?

bewildering that people defend barnes anymore.

hes simply a good coach, thats about it. his ceiling is literally just making the tourney.

but here at UT thats what we strive for...moral victories.
It's laughable that you and your uninformed ilk have a clue as to whom might be better. Guess what? The coaches at the Blue bloods aren't leaving and no one else would be as good

How do you GUARANTEE it? Got recordings? Signed statements? Maybe he lied to you to you to buy time for security to arrive?

He wanted to test the waters. He really had no intention of leaving Belmont.

I haven't asked him about $$$$$...........that's none of my business, but enough would change anyone's mind.

I haven't asked him about $$$$$...........that's none of my business, but enough would change anyone's mind.
Well then he was considering it...he was maxed out around $500k, he could’ve easily quadrupled his annual salary if he landed this job, just maybe he was interested in doing that.

I’m sure he believes that these many years after the fact...doesn’t size up. He would’ve taken the job if proffered...I guarantee it. 😏

Well then he was considering it...he was maxed out around $500k, he could’ve easily quadrupled his annual salary if he landed this job, just maybe he was interested in doing that.

I'm only saying exactly what I have been told.........any my "source" is pretty good on this particular subject.

I’m sure he believes that these many years after the fact...doesn’t size up. He would’ve taken the job if proffered...I guarantee it. 😏

possibly........I wouldn't guarantee it.
I will definitely ask my source the next time I play golf with him.;)

I'm only saying exactly what I have been told.........any my "source" is pretty good on this particular subject.
And again maybe he wasn’t being totally honest with you, who says he wasn’t lying to you and not the interview he did? Or many reporters saying he’d walk to Knoxville to take the job?

You can quit with the “” jive. It’s obvious he’s telling you this...we’re not 5. I don’t disbelieve you. I simply think this is his personal spin after the fact. It’s not complicated.

Lots of guys said Barnes didn't have the fire his first two years. Silly claim

Reactions: butchna
You can quit with the “” jive. It’s obvious he’s telling you this...we’re not 5. I don’t disbelieve you. I simply think this is his personal spin after the fact. It’s not complicated.
I'm NOT trying to be a prick. :)

And he’ll tell you the same thing...got it.

I will ask him next time we play. I promise you I will tell you his answer. I have gotten to know him very well.
Maybe he will be more open and honest now.:)

VN Store

Back