A Reluctant Criticism of Barnes

Lol, people like yourself saying Barnes inherited a dumpster fire is just as much of Hot take. Kevin Punter, Robert Hubbs, Admiral Schofield, Lamont’s Turner , Kyle Alexander among others that Barnes inherited . Pretty dang good squad talent wise
Get em! Their stupidity knows no bounds...

Mostella wasn’t a five star and has serious discipline issues. Barnes inherited Robert Hubbs, put him on the block, and utilized him more than Martin and Tyndall. Then we were running Armani Moore and Derek Reese out there. Martin’s last year of recruiting was horrid unless you thought he was going to get Jaylin Brown to UT. Tyndall got Admiral, who was a freshman, and Romello White went elsewhere.

I actually said Tyndall was a good onfloor coach, but he was shady. He also had a current pro in the NBA as a senior.
Yea the first two years of Barnes’ tenure are really not an indictment on Barnes in my mind. We weren’t going to be good those two years no matter who was coaching.

If you throw those out, we’ve made the tournament 3 of the last 4. I’d be pretty surprised if we didn’t make the tournament for essentially the rest of Barnes’ time here.

No doubt this year was a bit disappointing. If you look at what we were expecting from Fulky/Pons/Anosike going into the season, vs what they gave us, its pretty evident why we struggled. Need to find some answers at the post for next year.

Why the hell does it have to be that at all? Why can’t Rick just have good teams and actually do something in the postseason with them?
Getting to the dance is step 1, right now he’s doing that...we were just in the S16 a couple years ago. Had they not called the foul on the 3 Shriner Purdue we are in the E8, according to you that round change everything??? So a call/no call by a ref changes what Barnes is by that much? Really??

Getting to the dance is step 1, right now he’s doing that...we were just in the S16 a couple years ago. Had they not called the foul on the 3 Shriner Purdue we are in the E8, according to you that round change everything??? So a call/no call by a ref changes what Barnes is by that much? Really??

Well that’s great we made the dance, but we also underachieved in the regular season. He’s also a known bad tournament coach.

IDK maybe if Rick hadn’t stupidly benched Grant Williams for the first 90 seconds of OT they still would have won. But hey those are the breaks. Apparently Rick just has gosh darn terrible luck because his postseason resume over the last 30+ years absolutely sucks.

Well that’s great we made the dance, but we also underachieved in the regular season. He’s also a known bad tournament coach.

IDK maybe if Rick hadn’t stupidly benched Grant Williams for the first 90 seconds of OT they still would have won. But hey those are the breaks. Apparently Rick just has gosh darn terrible luck because his postseason resume over the last 30+ years absolutely sucks.
You didn’t answer the question? You did however further prove my point though...so even though he coached horribly if the ref swallowed his whistle your opinion on Barnes would be a 180? Interesting.

Except that Barnes recruited Turner and Alexander himself, not Tyndal.

And Kevin Punter was juco and not a big time recruit and Hubbs player his best under Barnes. Other than that..
Hubbs best year was his senior year??? Whaaaat??? How weird?

Who would you hire that’s made at least 3 straight NCAAT?

Dont have a list in front of me but why you make one for me can you see what other have coaches have 3 NCAAT wins in six years and 2 twenty win seasons in six years as well?

You’re actually proving my point even more. If that dolt can do it then maybe it actually isn’t that hard and you can stop making so many excuses for Rick.
right? Makes you wonder why every coach don’t just make a F4 lol...no, it goes to show how dumb your post was...a fluke run doesn’t mean you’re a great coach, or even good coach, you’ve claimed that enough about Martin. So which is it? Win 4 in a row and you’re set for life or make it consistently over and over with occasional runs?

You didn’t answer the question? You did however further prove my point though...so even though he coached horribly if the ref swallowed his whistle your opinion on Barnes would be a 180? Interesting.

Maybe. He still didn’t win the SEC that year as the favorite. He got blown out by Auburn in the SECT. He still should have beat Purdue.

What if Iowa gotten a call or two and beat us the previous game when we blew a 20 point lead and they forced OT, would your opinion change?

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Barnes is robbing us. Paying anybody $5M to get the type of results we have gotten is nothing more than highway robbery. Stubborn and arrogant are two perfect descriptions for him. He came here to ride out his retirement and our previous administration bought into it we Will continue to suffer for it. He is possibly one of the worst coaches in March ever to coach. The only worse one I can think of is Mick Cronin
Tennessee is the school Coaches steal from no doubt.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

VN Store

Back