Historic Hot Garbage

I think Barnes is a good coach...as long as he coaches UT they will be good, but not when a title good. BUT I just can't fathom what he looks for in a recruit. It seems he wants defense , toughness, leadership. Who needs a good outside shooter right? Just defense🙈

The fact that Oregon St hasn't won a tournament game in 40 years is not relevant to anything. It makes a nice story, but really doesn't mean anything... I'll bet the kids' parents weren't even alive then.. What does mean something is that the VOLS had 3 future NBA players on the floor and had zero chemistry. No rebounding... horrific shooting... milquetoast. Embarrassing. Thank God for Oral Roberts University today
I agree with you about your first couple of sentences, what i find funny is that the apologists would actually use that logic against you. What i mean is they like to say that historically we havent been great at basketball so how can you possibily ever expect better? Well if thats the route they would take then i would say losing to a team in the tournament with a long history of not winning a tournament game in almost 40 years is significant. Im not saying that is what you are suggesting I just think its funny how the pumpers ignore certain facts that dont agree with their narratives.

I agree with you about your first couple of sentences, what i find funny is that the apologists would actually use that logic against you. What i mean is they like to say that historically we havent been great at basketball so how can you possibily ever expect better? Well if thats the route they would take then i would say losing to a team in the tournament with a long history of not winning a tournament game in almost 40 years is significant. Im not saying that is what you are suggesting I just think its funny how the pumpers ignore certain facts that dont agree with their narratives.
From the opening tip we seemed disinterested. Posing after shots... weak rebounding. I can't even call it effort until the last 5 minutes.

Reactions: Volnuck
From the opening tip we seemed disinterested. Posing after shots... weak rebounding. I can't even call it effort until the last 5 minutes.
yeah this years team was not an easy team to really care about. I always pull for UT but these guys just didnt seem interested in being there most of the time. Some did sometimes but none did all the time.

Players play and they didnt play well today.... But its the coaches job to have the players ready to play and prepared.... Def wasnt prepared and got outcoached... Questionable lineup to start that obviously didnt work

Reactions: Volnuck
I think Jos
Look, I love all of these guys. But I try to look at it as objectively as possible, and they could grow a ton as players by staying in school.

KJ desperately needs a jump shot. JS desperately needs to be a better 3-shooter (cuz he will need that more at next level).

Even Durant wasn’t DURANT in college, but he seemed further along than these guys.

Sadly, I think Europe is the ceiling for JJJ. He would be a fool to leave college.
I think Josiah is trending toward being here four years, If he could develop a consistent outside/3pt shot, he could be a 15/5/5 guy in his sleep. I believe that Springer and Johnson would be better served to come back a year, but it's hard to pass up NBA money. This year's draft is the deepest I can recall in a while, and I don't think either of them are lottery picks.

and the cancer spreads, seeping into all UT sports. We seem to not give a rats azz about representing the school. It's getting embarrassing...

and the cancer spreads, seeping into all UT sports. We seem to not give a rats azz about representing the school. It's getting embarrassing...

Go re-watch John Fulkerson’s senior day footage. I’m proud of how deeply he cared about representing his school, and it hurt like hell that he couldn’t be out there with his teammates today to be the emotional leader they needed.

Look, it has been a rough year. We started out with a bang and had some really good times watching the guys dominate for a while. With COVID ruining just about everything else, I was grateful to our sports teams — all of them — for all the efforts and sacrifices they were all making just to get to play at all. Just think how maddening a year with no college sports would have been.

So I’m just going to try to be grateful that all of our students, coaches and support staff in every sport are surviving a worldwide pandemic and mentally putting the less fun parts of 2020-21 athletics in a box and burying it in my back yard.

Hopefully next year things will be better.

Also, there is still hope that the Lady Vols can step up and make it to at least the Sweet 16, and Lady Vol softball just upset #2 Alabama today, so there’s that to be happy about.

Reactions: greenbacknative
Easy to understand now how and why Texas came to the realization that they had kept Barnes past his useful tenure as head coach.

Reactions: Catbone
IMO the biggest problem with this team this season was a lack of leadership. All the talent in the world is basically useless without leadership.

Sorry, but I don’t see it.

Which is why you are a fan and not a talent scout for NBA teams. You aren't getting the final product as an 18 year old kid, but Keon has nearly every variable the NBA wants in a player and will be a top ten pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he's an all-star in five years.

Reactions: The Dog
springer and Johnson need to stay another year. They are good but I mean not like Grant Williams good or admiral. I guess it’s something with potential with nba lottery picks??? I don’t really understand that part.
They both throw up a lot of air balls to be NBA stars. Springer has average measurable athletic ability - but above average feel for the game.

springer and Johnson need to stay another year. They are good but I mean not like Grant Williams good or admiral. I guess it’s something with potential with nba lottery picks??? I don’t really understand that part.
Here ya go:

iu

Reactions: Border Vol

If they are projected to be 1st round picks they should go to the league, because their contracts will be guaranteed.

Next year Barnes is gonna have to determine who his scorers are and let them shoot the basketball. All year this team played like they knew if they took a shot and missed it they were coming out of the game if their name was not Springer or Johnson. Victor Bailey needs to be shooting atleast 10-12 shots a game, he has a scorers mentality, if he gets some confidence he could easily average 20 ppg. Josiah Jordan James should be scoring in the 13-15 ppg range. Barnes also shouldn’t force feed the post unless he actually has a post player who can score.

I guess this year was an experiment for Barnes with the one and done players. It just seemed to throw the entire team out of sink. I enjoyed watching Johnson compete on both offensive and defense. Springer had his moments, but he tended to stall the offense and wasn’t as aggressive defensively. It will be interesting to see how they develop in the league.

Last edited:

Someone may not understand how that works. If they get drafted in the first round, which both are projected, they get a three year guaranteed multi-million dollar contract (with a 4th year team option). It doesn’t matter if they get sent to the G League at some point- they get life changing money.

That G League salary is only for guys who can’t get a contract in the NBA.

Which is why you are a fan and not a talent scout for NBA teams. You aren't getting the final product as an 18 year old kid, but Keon has nearly every variable the NBA wants in a player and will be a top ten pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he's an all-star in five years.

If he stays in college a couple of more years to hone his game, maybe. He is simply not ready to compete with NBA talent right now.

VN Store

Back