Oregon State: Some halftime numbers

cncchris33

1. OSU has 8 ORebs on 17 missed shots. Half of their misses result in second chances.

2. Shooting:OSU-45%, Tennessee-25%

3. 3-pt shooting: OSU-37%, Tennessee-15%

4. Total Rebounding: OSU-25, Tennessee-16

5. I don't have points in the paint numbers, but I'd guess that 80% of OSU's points have come in the paint. Their version of Romanian Shaquille O'Neal, who came in averaging 5 ppg has 12 at halftime.

Embarrassing effort, embarrassing execution. Team that cares the most is running away with it and Rick Barnes is getting taken to school by some guy named Wayne Tinkle.

I hate to pile on with a half to play, but even if we find a way to win, this is inexcusable to play like this for a half on the biggest stage. Your whole season is built for this.

Any time you start believing in this team you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment (most recent memory Alabama in SECT). If they lose at least we don't have to deal with that anymore. That being said I really hope they get it together and win this game.

If you ran this game 100 times, idk if we would shoot this bad (ok maybe a few times) but I can guarantee that Oregon State would not be over 50% from 3.

To have both happen is kinda crazy or just a normal day in UT Athletics

This year’s team just didn’t gel or develop. Some will try to blame it all on the coaches and some will try to blame it all on the players. The truth likely is somewhere in the middle.

This is Barnes worst coaching job since he got here. Hard to understand why we have seen so little player/team development this year as compared to past teams.

But, the players ALL have limitations. We don’t have a consistent outside threat or scorer for that matter. When the team is cold, there isn’t that one player to get it back on track.

It also doesn’t help that the two best players are freshmen. And they have holes in their games, too. We really needed for Fulkerson to be the Alpha Dog, but that didn’t happen and he is now injured.

A very disappointing year after the hot start.

This team is, without exaggeration, the worst winning record CBB team I've ever seen at finishing at the rim. It is so immensely frustrating
They really are. Contact or no contact, we miss more point blank shots at the rim than any team I can consciously remember. Amazing given that we don’t even attempt a good number of shots within 3 ft. If such a stat existed, I’d guess we have one of the worst shooting percentages in the country from 3 ft.

This year’s team just didn’t gel or develop. Some will try to blame it all on the coaches and some will try to blame it all on the players. The truth likely is somewhere in the middle.

This is Barnes worst coaching job since he got here. Hard to understand why we have seen so little player/team development this year as compared to past teams.

But, the players ALL have limitations. We don’t have a consistent outside threat or scorer for that matter. When the team is cold, there isn’t that one player to get it back on track.

It also doesn’t help that the two best players are freshmen. And they have holes in their games, too. We really needed for Fulkerson to be the Alpha Dog, but that didn’t happen and he is now injured.

A very disappointing year after the hot start.
The players played awful today, but it has also been a terrible coaching performance. The subs alone have been ridiculous. Uros was defending Silva fairly well, so they sub him out to watch ON get abused? We are ice cold on offense, so he puts in Gaines? And I still think Victor Bailey is a net negative nearly every time he is out there

The players played awful today, but it has also been a terrible coaching performance. The subs alone have been ridiculous. Uros was defending Silva fairly well, so they sub him out to watch ON get abused? We are ice cold on offense, so he puts in Gaines? And I still think Victor Bailey is a net negative nearly every time he is out there

Pons’ foul trouble likely led to some of the substitutions.

Reactions: vol94
We have been out-hustled and played sloppy all season. We must have set some kind of record for unforced turnovers and missed lay-ups.

We have been out-hustled and played sloppy all season. We must have set some kind of record for unforced turnovers and missed lay-ups.

Yes, this team just never came together. I wonder what the locker room is like.

Barnes pretty much lost me today. I'm not defending him anymore.

Last edited:
Not a single Tennessee player...not one...hit half of their attempts, today. Like in many of our losses, this year, we don’t have 1 or 2 guys have bad games. Our entire team goes into full-blown shutdown for entire games. This and the Florida loss are just inexplicable for a team with our kind of individual talent.

I’m not upset that we lost. It’s the NCAAT...crazy things happen. But for us to collectively not show up, that is totally inexcusable. Barnes has some work to do to earn back my trust. He really screwed the pooch from the bench and his players looked completely uninspired.

Yes, this team just never came together. I wonder what the locker room is like.

I wonder what effect, if any, the Fulkerson situation has had on them. IMO, the whole program, all the way up to our new AD, blew it by having no public reaction whatsoever to the Florida player getting off scot-free. Why should our players fight for Tennessee when Tennessee has demonstrated it won't fight for them?

This season revealed a lot, that's for sure.
This is the version of Rick Barnes that Texas fell out of love with. No real coincidence that it coincides with our reliance on the one-and-done type talent. Barnes is too hard, impatient, and slow to trust those type of guys. You can’t take them hoping they learn the system and turn the corner, ready to lead in 2-3 years. You have to prepare and trust those guys to come out and run the show from the word “go”. If you can’t adapt your ego and style to that type of management style, then stop trying to force the square peg in the round role.

Reactions: zjcvols and EZE
I wonder what effect, if any, the Fulkerson situation has had on them. IMO, the whole program, all the way up to our new AD, blew it by having no public reaction whatsoever to the Florida player getting off scot-free. Why should our players fight for Tennessee when Tennessee has demonstrated it won't fight for them?

Good point. But I’m not so sure there haven’t been problems going back to January. There has to be some reason why this team never came together and actually seemed to do the opposite as the season progressed.

Reactions: Hacksaw
Not a single Tennessee player...not one...hit half of their attempts, today. Like in many of our losses, this year, we don’t have 1 or 2 guys have bad games. Our entire team goes into full-blown shutdown for entire games. This and the Florida loss are just inexplicable for a team with our kind of individual talent.

I’m not upset that we lost. It’s the NCAAT...crazy things happen. But for us to collectively not show up, that is totally inexcusable. Barnes has some work to do to earn back my trust. He really screwed the pooch from the bench and his players looked completely uninspired.

I'm sorry but until he proves it I can't get excited for his teams come postseason. I'm really starting to believe 2018-2019 was his ceiling here. And while I got sick of hearing about his payday.....his 2 seasons post big payday have been disappointments with this season being a major one. He helped solidify his reputation of being terrible in the postseason with this pathetic showing today.

Reactions: lostsheep
Either our AD will eventually wise up and realize what Texas did with Barnes and let him go, or he’ll ride it out here until retirement. My bets on the latter.

VN Store

Back