Why has Omar Payne gotten no action after the game from Florida or the SEC ?

What do you want me to say? Payne was completely in the wrong and I think some sort of punishment is warranted. I'm just not sure what it ought to be and when it should be. A suspension right at the start of the NCAA tournament? That seems to just aim to defeat the team for the action of one player. I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Is that a factor in punishment? Of course. But you can't let it dictate the sanction. Otherwise you overreact to this one to the detriment of all the other times when the intent is the same but no one particularly notices or cares because no injury resulted.
It's patently unfair for the Florida player who did this to be playing in the NCAA tournament if Fulky cannot play in the tournament. It send a message that you can get away with this kind of thuggery.

Inadvertant elbows happen. Elbows get stuck out to annoy people. A guy obviously winding up and swinging his elbow at a guy above the shoulders . . . TWICE . . . is over the top and definitely does NOT happen all the time. This argument that he didn't mean to hurt anybody is laughable. Why else would anybody flagrantly swing an elbow, punch, kick or head butt somebody?
Referees did not make the correct call. That was 2 flagrant fouls and should have been 4 shots. That is exactly what I would have called and enforced on that play. I can understand missing the first elbow in live-action but there is absolutely no excuse not to make the proper call and appropriate enforcement of 4 shots when using replay. The first elbow was not as hard but in terms of rule violation and enforcement, the first elbow was no less a flagrant foul than the second.

Reactions: DLuckySeven
If the shoe was on the other foot I'd feel the same way you do.

But if the guy has apologized, admitted he was wrong in every respect, and the apology has been accepted, any "punishment" you theorize about is just retribution. That is sometimes its own goal, but is it worth it? Does that have any real value other than to make UT fans feel better?

YES! It makes the Punishment fit the assault; whereas ANYONE can apologize for anything; but do they really mean it? That was Assault pure and simple, and suspension for the rest of the year is warranted. Everyone knows the dude ain't sorry one bit, just sorry for all the backlash.

Reactions: orangealways
Nobody winds up and delivers an elbow like that without malicious intent. It was one of the worst I've ever seen. And no . . . shots like that don't happen very often.

This is the truth. And Lawgator should be ashamed for playing it down. Credibility definitely in question.

Reactions: Creeker

But if the guy has apologized, admitted he was wrong in every respect, and the apology has been accepted, any "punishment" you theorize about is just retribution. That is sometimes its own goal, but is it worth it? Does that have any real value other than to make UT fans feel better?

I think the OP is saying there should be consequences by your university or SEC. I’m going down that road about the lack of discipline in Florida’s entire program, but the OP is correct the player should be suspended a minimum of one game. If you don’t see that then oh well but most agree. There must be consequences for one’s actions, beyond an apology.

One telling their kids to apologize for misbehaving doesn’t not have the same impact as grounding them from their car, etc.

I haven't really committed to the notion of him not being suspended. I'm torn on the issue. I see the logic of it, I do. But I also see the effect that would have on innocent third parties and that makes me pause.

Dumb

I haven't really committed to the notion of him not being suspended. I'm torn on the issue. I see the logic of it, I do. But I also see the effect that would have on innocent third parties and that makes me pause.
I mean all penalties in collegiate athletics hurt innocent parties. Sanctions on schools that cheated hurt kids playing there years after the infractions occur. Players deemed ineligible are missed by their teammates who did nothing wrong. That's life. The answer can't be to just throw up your hands and have no accountability at all

You mean similar to the innocent parties like Fulkerson's teammates who will perhaps see their season (some careers) come to a premature ending, and assuredly saw their own SECT run come to an early end as a result of the cowardice actions of Payne?

Look, collateral damage is a part of all of our decisions. We commit a crime, our families (innocent parties) suffer indirect consequences. Of all people, you should know that.

The thug Payne didn't even get penalized for one of the elbows!! Between your Coach Mullen and your football players fighting and now your basketball team throwing assault elbows you have a wonderful University you cheer for! Maybe some drunk will take out Payne one day.as he drives by him. Oh I am sorry for saying that. I guess all is good now. Payne is a Piece of Crap and you stick up for him. You can go to hell with him

Florida coach, Tennessee coach , Tennessee athletic director. Florida athletic director and most of all the SEC office
are wimps and cowards for not addressing the injury to Fulkerson as an outright assault. They are all wimps.
Who cares his Payne CYA apology came to Fulkerson. There is no courage from any of these people !!!
Well, he got about the same punishment that Jennings got.

I really do not blame Florida or the SEC for not taking action. Tennessee needs to make a bigger stink out of this for anything to occur.

I really do not blame Florida or the SEC for not taking action. Tennessee needs to make a bigger stink out of this for anything to occur.
You don't blame the two parties who actually have the authority to punish Payne, but you do blame the party that does not. Makes lots of sense, very logical

Reactions: jp1
You don't blame the two parties who actually have the authority to punish Payne, but you do blame the party that does not. Makes lots of sense, very logical
We know who the SEC is and how they treat UT. UT has no backbone and never stands up for itself. Neither of the two parties are going to suspend Payne and you know it.

Reactions: orangealways
We know who the SEC is and how they treat UT. UT has no backbone and never stands up for itself. Neither of the two parties are going to suspend Payne and you know it.

Blaming Danny White and the AD for something they have no control over is dumb.

Translation: “I know he ought to be suspended, but will no one think of the Gators and their tourney chances?”

Reactions: Creeker
LOL! I got hit by a guy in a car and knocked me into a yard over 12 ft away. He did this intentionally. I got up and called the police and had the guy arrested. I met the DA of Knoxville and was told that they were going to lock him up. He walked. I told the DA and the guys dad what I was going to do to him the next time that I saw him. Long story short, he moved to Florida two days later!
Was it Lawgator?

Is it logical for the SEC to sit on their hands to let Payne play? No. Tennessee needs to make a bigger stink out of this.
But if Tennessee makes a bigger stink about it, who has the power to act on their grievance?

Answer: Florida's AD and/or the SEC Commissioner, both of whom you admittedly assign no blame. That isn't logical.

Why does Tennessee have to fan the flames to get those two parties to react? The actions of Payne speak for themselves. Tennessee shouldn't have to draw any additional attention to them.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back