John Fulkerson Injury

If he's working behind the scenes, we'll never know. And bottom line is he has no authority, so it cannot be a failure on someone who has no power over the situation. I expect he's done what he can, but not publicly. Same with coach Barnes

Not to mention Fulkerson probably told Barnes not to use the situation as a distraction come Tournament time.

Fulky wanted to give Payne a second chance whether we disagree with it or not.

Reactions: FearAVolunteer
There is no way he should be playing while Fulkerson sitting on sidelines. I just see no way John recovers in time to play this weekend after seeing him Saturday at the game with ear plugs in to stop the noise and having to lay down and cover his eyes. You do not recover from that bad of a concussion in a week - afraid his season is over.

Reactions: cardvolfan
If Payne plays it would be so unfair and just ridiculous that he wasn’t punished severely. His apology was bull, his team mates probably think he is a hero.

I think if your player is too immature to understand you should never come close to taking elbows shots at someone's head, then you have make it clear to them, which in this case you do by saying "you're done for the year." And if Florida is too cowardly to do it, then the SEC should step in and do it for them.

IIRC, Florida and the SEC has said the matter is over and they are moving forward with no suspension etc. I think THEY FEEL once he was disqualified from that game, the penalty had been enforced. I do believe some sort of penalty should be issued to discourage that type of thing whether overtly or subconsciously. Of course, Fair comes in the fall with rides and games as we know so don't expect anything further.

Reactions: Lankykong
I just wish everybody would quit using the football analogy to determine the punishment.
For me, it is apples to oranges in comparison with the exception of the JJ incident...
Targeting is not an intentional Act
Payne's Act was Intentional
Although the JJ incident may have been intentional or not it was off the field of play and could have been unintentional as he stepped to get back onto the field...
Regardless the SEC got involved and guess what? They suspended him...
Although no rules exist for a Flagrant 2 this act was beyond the F2 and was not an accident as both acts occurred during a dead Ball period...
For the SEC not to act on this incident (x2) proves they are incompetent and have zero leadership...
To my knowledge The SEC Commissioner has made zero comment on this is a Chicken Crap move.
He did not hesitate on the JJ incident and in the 3rd day we have not heard a peep...

I don't see how the NCAA hasn't ruled this as a fighting action.

"Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other
team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is
used to combatively strike the other individual.
Art. 3. When, during a confrontation, an individual attempts to strike another
individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is
irrelevant. The perpetrator shall be deemed to have been involved in a fight.
Art. 4. When, during a confrontation, an individual uses unsportsmanlike acts or
comments which, in the opinion of the official, provoke the other individual to
retaliate by fighting, it shall be ruled that both individuals have been involved in
the fight.
Art. 5. When a physical confrontation has occurred, the officials shall determine
the individuals who were involved in the fight or left the bench area to participate.
Art. 6. A combative confrontation may occur when the ball is live, in which case,
it is a flagrant 2 personal foul; or when the ball is dead, in which case a flagrant 2
technical foul shall be assessed."

There's no way in hell the two elbows can be considered noncombative. The NCAA rule requires players who are involved in such an action be suspended for the next game including tournament games.

Not to mention Fulkerson probably told Barnes not to use the situation as a distraction come Tournament time.

Fulky wanted to give Payne a second chance whether we disagree with it or not.
Fulky was willing to forgive. Forgiveness is a process, not an immediate action. Over time, he will find the heart to forgive, but Payne needs to beat the consequences, and prove that what he said matches his actions. He has a long way to go.

Reactions: Sudden Impact

"Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other
team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is
individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is
Art. 4. When, during a confrontation, an individual uses unsportsmanlike acts or
retaliate by fighting, it shall be ruled that both individuals have been involved in
the fight.
Art. 5. When a physical confrontation has occurred, the officials shall determine
the individuals who were involved in the fight or left the bench area to participate.
Art. 6. A combative confrontation may occur when the ball is live, in which case,
it is a flagrant 2 personal foul; or when the ball is dead, in which case a flagrant 2

There's no way in hell the two elbows can be considered noncombative. The NCAA rule requires players who are involved in such an action be suspended for the next game including tournament games.

This is the best post of the thread. Seems obvious to me he should fall into these consequences

This is the best post of the thread. Seems obvious to me he should fall into these consequences
Agree....I got the feeling that the decision regarding Payne has already been made by the SEC and FL AD. It is the fans that are stoking the fire.
I could be wrong, but reading above something has probably been decided and we will be the last to know....I cannot believe that the SEC has not intervened in this and will be willing to bet they have.
The Apology was the first step and the other actions are yet to come....
The rules are very clear and an Apology is just the first part of the process and not the end.

the fight.

.......and it's up to our AD to stay on this until justice is served!!

That’s what I’m talking about!
Way back when, we had a guy playing DB who took a shot at our qb as he was a couple of steps out of bounds. Lost him for the next game and it cost us a shot in the playoffs. Next season the same guy was playing WR. He came across the middle and had a pass go off his hands. Took several steps then he got clocked. Worth every damned one of the 15 yards of the penalty.

Way back when, we had a guy playing DB who took a shot at our qb as he was a couple of steps out of bounds. Lost him for the next game and it cost us a shot in the playoffs. Next season the same guy was playing WR. He came across the middle and had a pass go off his hands. Took several steps then he got clocked. Worth every damned one of the 15 yards of the penalty.

Yep! Bring the Payne!

There is no way he should be playing while Fulkerson sitting on sidelines. I just see no way John recovers in time to play this weekend after seeing him Saturday at the game with ear plugs in to stop the noise and having to lay down and cover his eyes. You do not recover from that bad of a concussion in a week - afraid his season is over.

Football has targeting rule and players are padded up. The refs were going by the rules. It's up to the SEC or NCAA to go beyond that. I think next year we'll have some kind do targeting type rule in basketball. Maybe a flagrant III foul or something. Something for intentional injury.

VN Store

Back