The CFL Thread

I'm a BC Lions fan after I went to a game. I went to Vancouver a few years back and the night I got there they were playing the Alouettes and since they only get about 30K to their 60K stadium I got tickets pretty easily. Plus I think they sucked that year. It's a nice stadium though, right near their hockey arena.

Since they only have 9 teams I'd like to try to go to a home game in every town, and I hope they recover enough to expand to a 10th team like they were planning on. 10 is a nice even number, having 9 jacked up their scheduling and playoffs.

My adopted team is Winnipeg. For some reason, I just love watching Andrew Harris play. I’ll watch any CFL that’s on because of its uniqueness.

Reactions: MAD
My adopted team is Winnipeg. For some reason, I just love watching Andrew Harris play. I’ll watch any CFL that’s on because of its uniqueness.
what things do you like about the CFL that make it unique?

I always liked their nickname the Blue Bombers and that their look resembles U of Washington.

I also kind of like how Ottawa has had 3 teams now that are are 3 different franchises but they all have had the same colors and general look and they mostly treat it as one history. I did find it humorous though that they had a league with 8-9 teams and 2 had the same nickname. I guess Rough Riders is the Canadian version of Tigers.

Love the extra players on the field, bigger/wider field, and all the motion on offense.

I also love the rogue and unlike the NFL, they have successfully integrated challenging of pass interference. I've seen coaches challenge when DPI wasn't called and it got called, getting a DPI overturned, and even both with OPI.

One thing I don't like is, if you can believe it or not I think they actually are worse on roughing the passer. I've seen some of the lamest roughing calls in CFL games.

Also you can advance onsides kicks, so there have been plays where they've looped kicks to guys running down the side and they've scored. Also with the 20 yard endzones, there have been quite a few kick-6s; it makes misisng a FG way more risky.

Also you can advance onsides kicks, so there have been plays where they've looped kicks to guys running down the side and they've scored. Also with the 20 yard endzones, there have been quite a few kick-6s; it makes misisng a FG way more risky.

This makes me more excited about the upcoming season, if there is one. I never took the time to understand the difference rules.

Another difference is the CFL ball. It used to be a bit bigger than the NFL ball and has two solid stripes on each end. I remember a Warren Moon interview when he said using the CFL ball made him a better passer because when he came to the NFL the ball felt small and he could throw it better. It used to produce monster punts and long range field goals. Several years ago the CFL adopted the NFL ball but the CFL ball retained the 2 white stripes. It makes for an interesting view when the ball is thrown. You can see how tight a spiral is or how bad it looks as a lame duck throw.

Another difference is the CFL ball. It used to be a bit bigger than the NFL ball and has two solid stripes on each end. I remember a Warren Moon interview when he said using the CFL ball made him a better passer because when he came to the NFL the ball felt small and he could throw it better. It used to produce monster punts and long range field goals. Several years ago the CFL adopted the NFL ball but the CFL ball retained the 2 white stripes. It makes for an interesting view when the ball is thrown. You can see how tight a spiral is or how bad it looks as a lame duck throw.
Interesting, love learning stuff like this.

I grew up in Vancouver and attended many Lions games. My mum is from Seattle and dad is Canadian. I hold both passports and it allowed me to get into UDubs Aerospace program. Never got into their football much but we used to get all the Seattle stations in Vancouver. Saw plenty of southern college football and NFL football.

The CFL was more popular in the 80's but I'm not sure what happened. I've been gone for many years. The Lions would regularly get 50K partly because of a new domed stadium but fell off in the 90's and beyond. I think it was mentioned nowadays it's 30K or so and that's right. They'll still get 50-60k for Grey Cup games in Vancouver though. I think most Canadian football fans like all varieties. NFL, CFL and College. BC was the only province that played US rules in high school. Not sure if it's still like that.

Oh...another thing. There is a requirement for having a certain number of Canadian born players on each roster. Not sure what the number is but it's quite a few. The skilled positions are normally US players.

I grew up in Vancouver and attended many Lions games. My mum is from Seattle and dad is Canadian. I hold both passports and it allowed me to get into UDubs Aerospace program. Never got into their football much but we used to get all the Seattle stations in Vancouver. Saw plenty of southern college football and NFL football.

The CFL was more popular in the 80's but I'm not sure what happened. I've been gone for many years. The Lions would regularly get 50K partly because of a new domed stadium but fell off in the 90's and beyond. I think it was mentioned nowadays it's 30K or so and that's right. They'll still get 50-60k for Grey Cup games in Vancouver though. I think most Canadian football fans like all varieties. NFL, CFL and College. BC was the only province that played US rules in high school. Not sure if it's still like that.

Oh...another thing. There is a requirement for having a certain number of Canadian born players on each roster. Not sure what the number is but it's quite a few. The skilled positions are normally US players.

I went to a BC game about 4 years ago. They weren't very good that year and it was late in the season so there was about 25-30K at the game. They had the upper deck fully blocked off but the lower bowl was pretty decently full and the people that were there were pretty passionate. I'm wondering if the Seahawks growing into more of a name NFL team hurt them because I did see a good bit of Seahawks stuff around town when I visited. I wore Titans and Predators gear out some and lots of people would comment on them, moreso the Preds because we had just lost the Stanely Cup Finals and most were saying how much they were pulling for us to beat the Penguins.

From the fans around me I talked to at the Lions game they said one big thing was the Lions had been down for what seemed like an extended time and like any other team when you lose, fans don't show up as much. They also said the increase of televison/streaming seemed to hurt attendance but that ratings and streaming were actually good. Many seemed to think the league had kind of gone the way of other pro sports leagues too in that interest was lower until the playoffs.

question for CFL fans, do you want to see a possible merger with the XFL?
I would imagine this would mean conforming to American football rules

I went to a BC game about 4 years ago. They weren't very good that year and it was late in the season so there was about 25-30K at the game. They had the upper deck fully blocked off but the lower bowl was pretty decently full and the people that were there were pretty passionate. I'm wondering if the Seahawks growing into more of a name NFL team hurt them because I did see a good bit of Seahawks stuff around town when I visited. I wore Titans and Predators gear out some and lots of people would comment on them, moreso the Preds because we had just lost the Stanely Cup Finals and most were saying how much they were pulling for us to beat the Penguins.

From the fans around me I talked to at the Lions game they said one big thing was the Lions had been down for what seemed like an extended time and like any other team when you lose, fans don't show up as much. They also said the increase of televison/streaming seemed to hurt attendance but that ratings and streaming were actually good. Many seemed to think the league had kind of gone the way of other pro sports leagues too in that interest was lower until the playoffs.

Awesome! The last game I went to at BC Place was in the early 90's and it was pretty full. Flutie was throwing for crazy yards and it was fun to watch. My brother in law goes to games every couple years now but like you said, the upper decks are closed. It's a great place to watch football especially in the rainy northwest. The Lions have been pretty lousy lately.

I don't think Canadians would want to merge with the XFL and change rules. As much as they obviously like the NFL and college ball they/we try to be independent of some things American. The game is different but they really need to schedule around the NFL and college because lots of Canadians are big fans of those. Still, the TV ratings are decent in Canada so I'm sure the league will survive. They get lots of coverage and promotion. They would have more viewers if the broadcasts were on terrestrial TV instead of TSN (Canada's version of ESPN).

All Tennessee players listed on CFL.ca

Ralph Abernathy
Demonte Bolden
Pig Howard
Kyler Kerbyson
Kongbo*
Curt Maggitt
Demetrice Morely
Rajion Neal
Jacques Smith
Kendal Vickers